Sandboxie and rights droping programs.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Peter2150, May 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

There has been some confusion about whether programs that drop the user rights are actually working when sandboxed, as they don't appear to be. For examnple with Online Armorr's run saferthere is no green border, and also if you run ISadmin in Firefox it shows that Firefox is ad admin level.

The answer is Run Safer or other rights dropping, programs running in the Sandbox are indeed running at lower privileges, but Sandboxie fakes them into thinking they aren't.

See this Sandboxie thread. http://www.sandboxie.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=3268

Pete

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

Thanks Pete,

I'm sure you know by now what I think and I can still confirm that when using my DropMyRights Firefox shortcut that it does show Firefox.exe, SandboxieRpcSs.exe and SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe as running as Deny/owner when looking at Process Explorer. I have no idea why and I guess it doesn't matter but it makes me feel a little safer and it doesn't use any extra resources except my initial time to install the small DropMyRights program and create the shortcuts.

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Same here Innerpeace. I was just confused about what was actually happening and am glad Tzuk explained.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.