Sandboxie and Outlook 2007

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by exus69, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Hello everyone,

Can I just Sandbox the attachments and browser links in mails rather than Sandboxing the entire Outlook 2007??

And as far as opening Outlook without SB is concerned, I can disable the preview pane and enable plain text view. Is that enough?

The reason am against opening Outlook in SB is everytime I open Outlook in SB it takes quite sometime to open (thats coz of the huge pst file being copied into SB). Also it asks for immediate recovery everytime I go into options.

If there's a malware which spreads through outlook then that will be ONLY through malicious attachments and links, both of which are sandboxed, right??

Please help

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Links will open on your default browser sandboxed if the Outlook sandbox is not restricted or if it is restricted and your browser is allowed start/run/connect. Same with attachments. So, if you have a PDF that comes in your mail, on a unrestricted sandbox, the PDF will open sandboxed but on a restricted sandbox you need to allow the PDF Reader to start and run.

Malicious attachments and links will be sandboxed if Outlook is sandboxed.

Bo

3. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

So does that mean I just need to sandbox the attachments that I receive in Outlook and not Outlook itself coz of the reasons stated above?? Ans as far as protecting Outlook itself is concerned, I can disable preview pane and enable plain text view. Is that enough??

4. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

You need to run Outlook under the supervision of SBIE in order for attachments and links to open sandboxed when you click on them.
    I use OE and even though I have disabled the preview panel and my emails open as plain text, OE still gets sandboxed. Both programs are different but OE always opens fast. Some antiviruses delay deleting the OE sandbox when closing but I never seen a delay when being open.

Bo

5. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

I sandbox Outlook but give it direct access to the folder containing the .pst file so it does not need to copy it into the sandbox. I then force that folder to sandbox. That way any attachments write to the real system but start sandboxed if that helps with the speed. I notice no difference starting sandboxed or not.

Cheers

6. exus69

exus69 Registered Member

Chris, now that definitely cheered me up :) Thx a ton everything's
    working fine and smooth as of now.

Thanks bo for helping

Cheers :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.