Sandboxie and Gmail

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by IceCube1010, Jun 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

Sorry if this has been asked before, but how do you use Sandboxie with gmail? Can a gmail IE browser session run sandboxed? If so, how do you do it.

thanks
    Ice

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

Yes, it can be ran that way, I do it all the time. The only thing Sandboxie will do upon clearing the sandbox is clear out the cookies that Gmail left. Other than that, nothing changes from an un-sandboxed browser and a sandboxed one (besides stopping malware of course). That's the beauty of Sandboxie, your broswer/programs run just like they are supposed to, but temp files/coookies/malware all get cleared away after you clean the sandbox or close the browser if it is set to clear the sandbox after closing.

3. IceCube1010

thanks for the reply but I forgot the problem I have. It's with the gmail notifier. This utility starts with my PC and I can't seem to get it to work with Sandboxie. Is there a way to configure gmail notifier to work with Sandboxie?
    Or maybe another type of notifier that does work with gmail and Sandboxie.

thanks again
    Ice

4. HURST

HURST Registered Member

I had the same problem with gmail notifier extension.
    I decided to let the extension go :D
    Now using Outlook

5. IceCube1010

thanks Hurst, at least I'm not doing something wrong. I kinda figured there was a compatability issue with the notifier and sandboxie. My problem is I can't use outlook because certain companies have restrictions with the ports the outlook needs. So I need to use some kind of internet email notifier.

thanks again
    Ice

6. HURST

HURST Registered Member

have you downloaded the official gmail notifier?
    It's a standalone app, independant from the browser.

7. IceCube1010

yes. It's version 1.0.25.0 It works quite well, just not sandboxed with Sandboxie. It works well with SafeSpace but I had other issues with that product. Sandboxie would be perfect but I can't get this thing to work. I'm not a Sandboxie expert by no means. If you hear of any solution, please keep me updated.

thanks
    Ice

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Hi Ice, you could post over at SB's forum where the author or one of the members may be able to help?

No need to register.
    SB's Forum

9. MitchE323

MitchE323 Registered Member

Here is what you need for that. #1 Make sure that in Services.msc, DNS Client is set to Automatic and started. #2 Add Gnotify.exe as a Forced Process using the SandboxIE Control Panel (to keep things less complicated, use the sandbox that your browser will run in - that's the way I have it and did not test it in a differant sandbox) #3 If you are limiting internet access out of that sandbox, allow Gnotify.exe to have access.

Reboot the computer, upon restart you should see the notification icon in the tray. A log-in box will auto open requesting your gmail user name and password. Fill it out and you are good. Check the SandboxIE Control window and you will see the program listed as running sandboxed.

If you want the program to remember your log-in credentials, use Windows Explorer to navagate through your sandbox. Locate a file in the sandbox in C:\Windows named "SbiePst.dat". Copy and paste that SbiePst.dat file to your real Windows folder.

Now go back into the Sandboxie Control and create an openfilepath to that real SbiePst.dat in the real Windows folder. Set that openfilepath as only applying to Gnotify.exe.

10. MitchE323

Of course, do the last two paragraphs after you have filled in the login information, so that the information is in the SbiePst.dat file.

MitchE323

11. MitchE323

This is a slightly more complicated scenerio, but you can run Gnotify.exe in it's own sandbox also. This method would be useful if you were concerned to use the auto/delete function of SandboxIE. In the procedure outlined above, the auto delete is rendered useless as the activity in that sandbox never ends.

Create a new sandbox. In the settings for that sandbox, set Gnotify.exe as a forced process. Nothing else, just Gnotify.exe. Also create an openfilepath to the SbiePst.dat file in the Windows folder, remember to apply this openfilepath to only Gnotify.exe.

You can limit the internet access here also to only Gnotify.exe, but you have to add your browser also to that internet access. So only those two programs will have internet access. Do not add the browser as a forced process in this sandbox. Gnotify.exe will call on your browser as a child process.

MitchE323

12. IceCube1010

thank you MitchE323. I will try the 2nd scenerio tonight. This is great news. I will post back with my results!

thanks again
    Ice

13. MitchE323

Sounds good. If you get stuck, these are the pertinent parts of the sandboxie.ini file, which is through "Edit Configuration";

[GlobalSettings]
    ProcessGroup=<InternetAccess_Gmail>,gnotify.exe,iexplore.exe

[Gmail]
    Enabled=y
    ConfigLevel=4
    ForceProcess=gnotify.exe
    OpenFilePath=gnotify.exe,C:\Windows\SbiePst.dat
    ClosedFilePath=!<InternetAccess_Gmail>,\Device\RawIp
    ClosedFilePath=!<InternetAccess_Gmail>,\Device\Ip*
    ClosedFilePath=!<InternetAccess_Gmail>,\Device\Tcp*
    ClosedFilePath=!<InternetAccess_Gmail>,\Device\Afd*

Notes; I just named my sandbox "Gmail". My browser is iexplore.exe, yours may be different. Remember to set to automatic DNS Client. Copy the SbiePst.dat to the real Windows folder.
    MitchE323

14. MitchE323

Experimenting with this a bit, although everything works perfectly with Internet Explorer - the same can not be said for Firefox. (perhaps that has been the issue?). I just downloaded and installed Fx 3, and the notification program does not bring you automatically into your mail, as it does with IE. I am no expert by any means with Fx, so I will post this at SandboxIE. Meanwhile you can use it with IE if you want as a temp thing.

15. MitchE323

16. IceCube1010

Well I use IE so I should be good. I know FF is a bit more secure but with my security setup, I'm fine with IE.

thanks for all your help
    Ice

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.