Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Yea that is annoying and it won't hide!

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Probably running Chrome. Try hiding the message (SBIE message 2214) or unticking Drop rights to see what happens. You are getting the message probably because Chrome is trying to update in the sandbox.

Bo

3. guest

guest Guest

indeed

thanks , i will try this.

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK, I see. I have read a couple of threads about possible bypasses, and it does worry me that some say that SBIE v3 was a bit more robust.

5. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Using Windows 10 and Sandboxie Beta 5.01.7.
    I am finding that Firefox 40 (the latest version) does not display properly when run in the sandbox.
    The menu bar is white instead of grey and the option to use the default search engine in the taskbar is missing from the Search options.
    Anyone else seeing this?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe invincea is aware of this and working on it.

7. bo elam

8. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

I see. Thanks Peter.

And thanks bo elam. I have found that thread now.

9. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Steve Gibson of the 'Security Now' podcast mentions that Sandboxie would not have protected
    you from the same-origin policy in Firefox’s embedded PDF viewer, PDF.js.

Source: Security Now podcast #520 at twit.tv . Written transcript(.txt) of the show hasn't
    been posted yet at grc.com/security now.htm. Probably in a day or two if your interested in reading it.

The internal Firefox PDF reader can be disabled by changing the pdfjs.disabled setting to
    true in about:config. Firefox has been updated to fix the vulnerability.

10. bo elam

Programs running in the sandbox, by default, can read all files out of the sandbox. But, for tighter security, it is advised to block sandboxed programs from having access to personal and sensitive files and folder in Sandbox settings. Thats something that can be done and should be done. Read, File access>Blocked access.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?ResourceAccessSettings#file

In my personal case. I have been setting pdfjs.disabled to true for as long as that setting has been around. I have things related to PDF set up in a way in which when I click on a PDF, I either save it or open the PDF out of the browser in my Firefox sandbox. Foxit, my PDF viewer, can run but has no access to the internet.

Compu KTed, can you please tell at about what minute Steve talks about Sandboxie.

Bo

11. bo elam

12. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Is the Cruelsister reported issue Sandboxie v5.x specific / Windows version specific.
    4.20 feels stable but, following v5.x progress sounds like bugs are getting sorted. I just don't know if I have those bugs/vulnerability.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2015
  13. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Got it, Bo. TY! :thumb:

14. Compu KTed

The written transcript (.txt) has now been posted. The Quest for Surfing Safety #520
    https://www.grc.com/securitynow.htm

If you use the transcript as a guideline for the video you could narrow it down.

He does mention in podcast #519 about in the process of sort of getting to know it and how
    Sandboxie was covered years ago. (SN-172)

Unfortunately not enough is said on Sandboxie. More needs to be said on configuring your
    sandboxes by changing the default settings. The browser settings could be addressed as well.

Note: Although I don't use Firefox I do change the default settings of my browser
    as well as in Sandboxie. PDF files and viewer are also contained/sandboxed.

15. Overkill

16. bo elam

Overkill, is your issue in W7 64bits? If it is, you should report it at the SBIE forum in the 5.01 beta thread. What happens when you try to view videos, no sound or what? Crash?

Bo

17. Overkill

Yes, Win7 x64. I already reported it

Attached Files:

18. bo elam

In the podcast from 2008, Tzuk gets interviewed, the interview starts at about minute 27. I think this is great stuff. Tzuk talks about what motivated him to create SBIE.
    https://media.grc.com/SN/sn-172-lq.mp3
    Gibson is going to review Sandboxie again, pretty soon.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=21542

Bo

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 14, 2015
  19. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I always use a third party reader, but like Bo Elam said, with SBIE you can protect private data, so it could have protected against similar attacks.

20. Compu KTed

Yes, I happened to watch that particular episode with Tzuk being interviewed. Gibson has talked on Sandboxie
    a number of times on ' Security Now ' . You can go back to episode #55 from 2006 (Application Sandboxes)
    where he mentions Sandboxie along with other programs at that time. This show was about 2 years after the
    first public release of Sandboxie.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

A bit Off Topic but I need to know this. When or If I Update to a newest version/beta will the programs and files already parked in the Default Box remain or does the update flush them. I keep some video editing apps in my Default Sandbox so they don't stack a ton of supporting files on my regular system.

Thanks in advance. Sandboxie is always Awesome!

22. bo elam

Files and programs don't get deleted when you upgrade.:)

Bo

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thank You

24. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

@bo elam - been meaning to ask you as a knower of all things SBIE ...
    In the past I had free SBIE and always installed updates over the top with no problem.
    But then I took lifetime license, registered and am using betas. However every time I upgrade I have to uninstall existing version, (and config file also), reboot, then install new version. It does then remember my license.
    I did post the following: http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=21354#p110537 but never really got a resolution.
    Before update, I delete default sandbox (the only one I use), exit the program ... it seems to do multiple retries around 'license.txt' and then fail ... meaning I have to clean install.
    Not really a problem, just never had to do this before. And I need to update settings i.e. allow Firefox direct access to bookmarks.

25. bo elam

Hi Paul. Its not normal to have to uninstall Sandboxie, delete your sandbox, exit SBIE, before updating Sandboxie. We have to delete contents if we are going to uninstall Sandboxie but not for upgrading versions. I read your post above a few times and also the one from the Sandboxie forum. I think you are exiting SBIE because the message you are getting says "please make sure Sandboxie control is not running and that no program are running sandboxed"....I never seen that message.

This are some of the things that you might want to try. When you done a clean install, you have deleted the Sandboxie config file but you don't say nothing about deleting the Sandboxie folder in program files. Maybe you should do that. There is a LICENSE.TXT file in there and according to one of the pictures you posted at the SBIE forum, that's where your upgrade gets stuck. So, maybe doing another clean install but this time deleting the SBIE Program files folder can take care of your issue for good.

If deleting the SBIE folder in Programs files dont fix your issue, to make updating SBIE less work for you, download the installer for Sandboxies new version. Untick "Start Sandboxie control when Windows start", reboot, try reinstalling Sandboxie. After upgrading SBIE, tick back the option to have SBIE control start with Windows.

You can try doing this things now. You dont need to wait for a new version to come out. With SBIE, you can go back and forth in versions by doing over the top installations. Good luck, Paul.:)

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.