Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I sort of handle pictures like you do. For pictures that I download, I click on the sandboxed windows explorer shortcut that I place in my task bar and use it for navigating to them. I do it automatically, I don't even think about it.:)

Bo

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Once in a while I get this error, for no good reason. I hope they will be able to fix it.

3. bo elam

I think you should install 4.15.11, it might not fix your issue (some Office issues that had SBIE issuing those errors were fixed in 4.15.10) but next time you get the messages, it is possible that you might get additional messages that can help Invincea figure out whats causing your particular problem. To help diagnose those error messages is the reason they released 4.15.11. That version is for you, Rasheed.

Bo

4. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

OK, I will start collecting photos :) Nice piece of advice though, I will add it to my tips and tricks pile!

5. 142395

142395 Guest

Yes, I know.:D
    In my case I may go and went from one sandbox to next sandbox to real desktop, so currently sandbox explorer only for particular cases, but I'm always eager to find new usage.
    Now I wonder if I can alter Picture folder in Library (it seems it's actually file or link, with hidden extension .library-ms) to always open it sandboxed, but no clue how to do it or even I can or not.:confused:
    My pleasure!:)
    As a note, I actually don't use DefaultBox for this, I made another sandbox dedicated to all media activity and ristrict it according to usage.
    But if you're free user, it will be problem.

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

LOL I believe using IrfanView (or the viewer of your choice) won't constraint your image view activities to just one location in your PC, in my case I want to open images wherever I want/need to.

7. bo elam

By using the viewer of your choice (except Windows own) like you are doing, you can force the program. That way pictures would run sandboxed from anywhere in the PC. What you do is probably the best way to handle pictures with SBIE.

Bo

8. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Thanks Bo, of course I'm forcing the program and advise to anyone to do the same...

9. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Awesome, just did...also got one for WinRAR/7zip

10. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

While forcing Irfanview (or whatever picture viewer/editor of choice) is very sensible, could I also gently observe that there are many many picture viewers distributed though programs (not obviously image viewers) all over your system, and using various image code libraries from various places and of varying antiquity/patch status.

The only answer to that is force image folders, but even that isn't going to be foolproof.

I would really like something which would automatically do a lossless image conversion routine for any external images when they were delivered (e.g. jpg to Tiff to jpg), which would remove most of the threats. I'm not sure whether any AV programs do this. I saw this idea when reading techniques used by Mailpile.

11. bo elam

What I do to get most files and programs running sandboxed is combine using Forced programs, Forced folders and the sandboxed Windows explorer. In my personal case, how I get files running sandboxed, depends on the type of file that I am going to run, how I feel about the file and the location of the file in thecomputer.

In the particular case of pictures, since I don't save many pictures and prefer not to install an additional program to view them, for getting pictures to run sandboxed, I use the sandboxed explorer. deBoetie, with SBIE, using the sandboxed explorer to run pictures is as close as you can get to foolproof. Anything you run by using one, will run sandboxed.

Bo

12. 142395

142395 Guest

Tho I can understand you, I guess it's off topic...
    I know 2 similar (not picture, but entire email) solution for mail server (corporate use).
    Symantec Disarm technology
    Sakimori

I too prefer not to install viewer just for it. Anyway, each one has each preference and SBIE allow both, if one have enough ingenuity and bit of IT knowledge.
    Even if you don't have them, you can ask here!

13. deBoetie

Thanks @bo and @yuki, I do get it, and am very grateful that Sandboxie is there to plug most of the gaps. It's kind of off-topic but maybe not, to says that, yes, I'd like some form of sanitizing customs control for incoming messages and files. To be sure AV & firewalls do that to an extent, but insufficiently, and that means there is still an exposure even with Sandboxie, if you miss a program that displays images that's not in a forced folder or that gets directly downloaded by the program and is displayed.

14. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I suspect that won't happen as that is where the corporate product fits in.

15. deBoetie

Ka-ching!!! $$$$$

16. bo elam

Nice and quick, beta 4.15.12 fixes broken compatibility between Sandboxie and Chrome in Win 8-64, related to installing February's Microsoft update KB3031432.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=19837#p104534

Fixes in 4.15.12

1) KB3031432 in Win 8-64 causes Chrome-64 to crash.
    2) Sbie now detects when a sandboxed application starts WerFault.exe because it has crashed, and gives WerFault plenty of time to create a crash DMP file.

WerFault has a couple of flaws. It doesn't create the crash DMP until the user presses OK on the crash popup dialog box. If the user does not respond quickly, the crashed application will exit memory and the DMP cannot be created. So now Sbie disables the WerFault dialog box and issues its own SBIE2224 "Sandboxed program has crashed". WerFault also must be given enough time to do various Internet activities before the application exits.

Bo

17. bo elam

18. Brummelchen

Brummelchen Registered Member

19. bo elam

You are welcome, Brummelchen. Based on my feelings about beta 4.15,12, I can tell stable 4.16:cool: is going to be really nice.

Bo

20. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I will check it, I hope it will work fine with HMPA.

21. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

22. bo elam

Always nice to see you, Wolf. I think this baby (stable 4.16), is ready to rock n roll ala Neil Young.:cool:

Bo

23. bo elam

Sandboxie 4.16 is out. :)
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?AllVersions

Version 4.16
    Released on 20 Feb 2015.

• Major redesign of hooking/injection code. ASLR is now enabled for 64 bit (it was already enabled for 32 bit).
    • VC Redistributables are no longer downloaded by the combined 32/64 installer. The required VC DLLs are now included in the installer binary (which is why it is much larger now).
    • KB3031432 in Win 8-64 causes 64 bit applications to crash.
    • Sbie now detects when a sandboxed application starts WerFault.exe because it has crashed, and gives WerFault plenty of time to create a crash DMP file.
    WerFault has a couple of flaws. It doesn't create the crash DMP until the user presses OK on the crash popup dialog box. If the user does not respond quickly, the crashed application will exit memory and the DMP cannot be created. So now Sbie disables the WerFault dialog box and issues its own SBIE2224 "Sandboxed program has crashed". WerFault also must be given enough time to do various Internet activities before the application exits.

• Fixed Outlook 2013 crash at start.
    • Excel 2013 would remain in memory after program exit.
    • Fixed several SBIE2318 Dll Initialization Failed issues.
    • Error SBIE2101 now gives more information.
    • Increased named pipe timeout from 3 seconds to 10 seconds to eliminate SBIE2101 error.
    • A security problem reported by a user has been fixed: hard links could be created outside the sandbox. CreateHardLink API is now blocked.
    • Removed Avast from the list of known conflicts in templates.ini. This means Sandboxie will no longer popup the dialog box telling you to "review the Known Conflicts page..." when Avast is detected.
    • Fixed: certificate revocation information is sometimes unavailable. IE occasionally popped up dialog "Revocation information for the security certificate for this site is not available. Do you want to proceed?"
    • Sandboxie would issue error SBIE2205 Service not Implemented: LoadedModules.
    • Fixed drag/drop crash in Chrome.
    • Added OpenIpcPath=*\BaseNamedObjects*\FntCache to templates.ini to eliminate font cache problems.
    • Added ClosedFilePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\IDStore.dll & ClosedFilePath=%SystemRoot%\System32\wlidprov.dll to templates.ini to eliminate Windows Live problems.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?VersionChanges#v_4_16

Bo

24. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

Appreciate the heads up, Bo. :thumb:

25. 142395

142395 Guest

Thanks for informing us!:)
    Does it mean I can now uninstall VC++ 2010 Redistributable if it is only used by SBIE?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.