Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks, will do. Unfortunately, it did not work with default settings. Is there a specific key I'm looking for?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Perhaps is best if you post at the SBIE forum. There you might get a reply from an Avira user who has experienced the same situation. Since you ran the Avira registry cleaner and SBIE still detects Avira, then its possible that Sandboxie is not looking for a key but something else.

Bo

3. wolfrun

wolfrun Registered Member

Just installed the 4.14 64bit version and running smooth here.:thumb:

4. bo elam

J L, just in case, in the Software compatibility window, make sure the box "In the future, don't check software compatibility" is not ticked. I would also see that Avira is not selected under Security/Privacy and All Applications in Sandbox settings>Applications in each of the sandboxes that you are using.

Bo

5. mantra

mantra Registered Member

why when i update i got a window with "done!!!!"
    i tried to install it and i got it "done!!!!" again ?:confused:

6. MrBrian

MrBrian Registered Member

I answered your question in this thread.

@mods: if you wish, some of the recent technical topics from this thread could be excised to the technical discussion thread.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  7. deBoetie

deBoetie Registered Member

To give a slightly different perspective on Sandboxie protection for in-memory and dll-injection exploits, I focus much more on making my real important data inaccessible (file restrictions blocked) to anything that doesn't need it, and stopping call-out if it does. Normally Windows and program folders are read-only as well.

Of course this means a (small) amount of configuration, but mainly this is boiler-plate stuff based on drive letters. I'd agree it's not something normal users would do. Ideally I'd like something at sandboxie global levels which implemented the categories below for nominated "private/valuable" data areas.

Applications in my mind are in three main camps:
    • Internet facing ones, which are inherently at high risk, but do NOT need access to my "real" data (or only need to get say at my media library) - browsers, media players etc;
    • Applications which do read my "real" data but rarely need internet access (and do not get it!) - things like Office applications;
    • Applications which need both.
    The last category I am unhappy about, and will at minimum run in a VM with limited or no access to data (which I then transfer). And in fact, I virtually never run browsers on my main host, don't use plugins etc - all that stuff happens in the VMs, usually with Sandboxie too.

I think my biggest exposure is Outlook (which is sandboxed but obviously any in-memory malware can merrily scan my pst files which have direct access, everything else is blocked).

Comments?

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

@ deBoetie

I agree that this stuff in SBIE should be improved to make it more user friendly. File protection and other restrictions should be made more visible in the GUI. But it's indeed a great way to stop malware (that's running inside the sandbox) from stealing data. :)

9. bo elam

Hi Mantra, whenever I upgrade SBIE (over the top), immediately after the SBIE driver message, I always get a "Finish" at the end. I don't recall seeing a "Done" at the end. When exactly you see Done being displayed.

Bo

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Will do once I finish everything else. That checkbox was not checked.

*Okay, just made a thread and tried RegSeeker and UltraSearch. No changes.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  11. bo elam

One of the guys from Invincea told me that he thinks Sandboxie is looking for the Avira service. But since you already uninstalled Sandboxie, I don't think that service is in your computer anymore. So I don't know, J L. If I hear something else, I ll let you know.

Bo

12. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Thanks. The service isn't on my computer, nor any files named Avira.

13. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Love SBIE, but even after 4.14 is released I still cannot run latest Chrome on my system with Drop Rights enabled. It gives me a cannot read memory error in a Windows Application popup messaged. So, have to disable Drop Rights for my Chrome and Default sandboxes. Still running SBIE because other than that, it causes me no problems.

Gary

14. bo elam

Invincea is aware of the problem, Gary. According to the post below, they are working on it.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=19151&start=195#p104035

Bo

15. huntnyc

huntnyc Registered Member

Thanks Bo and for sure to the ocmpany for adressing this only major issue I am having for quite a while. Whoever hears of this fix first, please update here and htanks again to all great Wilders forum members for being the best support.

Gary

16. deBoetie

What is the implication of disabling dropped rights if you're already running as a standard user? Does the sandbox refuse if the malware succeeds in escalation?

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am not running as a standard users, and don't use Dropped rights in SBIE. There are other software's I use with SBIE that handle that issue.

18. deBoetie

Could you share details?

19. Peter2150

Sure. Specifically, I use Appguard, which protects in a similiar manner to both SBIE, and SBIE with dropped rights. In addition I use NVT's ERP, EIS, and am testing(and liking) HitmanPro Alert. Also under some circumstances I use ShadowDefender which further isolates the system

20. bo elam

Probably in your case it doesn't make much difference if you use Drop Rights or not. But in my case, since I run as an Administrator, using Drop Rights keeps programs in the sandbox from doing things that require administrator rights. Like, keeping programs from installing in the sandbox.

You might of read this:
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=19407&start=15#p102897

That vulnerability had no effect on sandboxes with Drop Rights. I know because I specifically asked Curt about it. Thats an example how Drop Rights can help us to keep our systems intact.

Bo

21. Peter2150

I've tried Drop my Rights in SBIE, but it turns my firefox language to something using oriental characters.

22. bo elam

Pete, is what you see something similar to this?

untitled.JPG

I see that message ONLY in my XP when I run Word files in a sandbox where I enable Drop Rights. In no other sandbox, XP or W7, I see something like that with Drop Rights. And it takes a few seconds to get rid of it so I work around it by disabling Drop Rights in the two sandboxes that I use for Word.

Bo

23. deBoetie

Thanks Peter, I guess I use VMs with reversion to snapshot as a way of achieving some of this. I'm also going to take the plunge with AppLocker since the configuration is easier than it used to be, and it can be based on account groups.

Thanks Bo, regarding WinRM, that's something I disable as part of my W7 hardening process anyway.

24. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Even as an admin, as long as UAC isn't fully disabled (which is not even possible Windows 8+), I still don't see the point of Drop Rights.

25. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

I don't understand. I run Word files sandboxed and have enabled Drop Rights in Sandboxie, but nothing like this
    happens in the accounts I use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.