Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

I am glad all is well, Chris. RC 5.14 looking pretty. Nice seeing you. :)

Bo

2. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

Google chrome is now running in its own sandbox. I get a few messages but these are fixed in 5.14 I understand, so eagerly waiting for that to be released. The new flexibility for blocking access to the local network on an application basis might be of use to me. I still like Firefox for my main sandboxed browser but need chrome for a particular website.

I wasn't sure whether to run chrome with or without its own sandbox inside sandboxie.

3. bo elam

You really don't need to wait. Version 5.14 is here (as of now as RC). Its working pretty nice.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23084#p121863

untitled.JPG

I am not a Chrome user but if I was one, I would be sandboxing Chrome with Sandboxie and wouldn't (disable) touch Chromes sandbox, and I am pretty sure I wouldn't be getting any Sandboxie messages. To eliminate messages, test: If Chrome works fine despite closing the message, then it means you can ignore it and Hide it for good. The other kind of usual message some users with Chrome get is the one that tells you the program needs Administrator rights. You solve that one by running Chrome in a sandbox were you don't tick Drop rights in Sandbox settings. To eliminate that one, there is no other way about it.

I know you want to use a sandbox as restricted as possible. I do too. What I do with my sandboxes is always create them with a good balance between usability and security. All my sandboxes are very comfortable to use and I don't get any messages in any sandbox. So, the feeling I get using them is like I am using nothing. So, if I have to set a sandbox a little less restricted to make it convenient to use, that's what I do. Convenience comes first. Basically what I am trying to say is that some of the messages you are getting running Chrome sandboxed can be eliminated by unrestricting the sandbox a little.

Bo

4. pling_man

Thanks Bo.
    I installed the 5.14RC and the error messages have gone.
    The only issue I have now is that the sandbox contents are not deleted automatically when I quit Chrome. I have the Delete Invocation box ticked. This happens only on a particular website. For other websites it works OK.

5. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

You know what you are going to get asked :)... what is the particular website?

6. pling_man

www.open.ac.uk

7. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, because of these settings I luckily didn't have to reconfigure Vivaldi again. And I wonder how this "machine learning" stuff works, apparently it can determine if apps are possibly malicious in only seconds.

8. bo elam

You should be able to fix this by making chrome.exe the Leader program of the sandbox where you run Chrome (Sandbox settings>Program stop>Leader programs). You can also look in Sandboxie control and see if a process other than a Sandboxie process lingers when you close Chrome, if you see something like GoogleUpdate.exe in there, add the process to Lingering programs (Sandbox settings>Program stop>Lingering programs).

Bo

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  9. pling_man

I already have chrome.exe as a Leader program. And the Google updater is already listed as one of the lingering programs. When I exit chrome, chrome.exe continues to run in the Sandbox. No other processes are running other than ones that Sandboxie initiates. If I kill chrome.exe using the task manager, the Sandbox is emptied. Likewise, I can kill it manually inside Sandboxie and the Sandbox is emptied.

So something is stopping chrome.exe from being terminated.

10. bo elam

Since it only happens with that one particular site, I wouldn't ponder about it. And delete the Chrome sandbox manually. You really don't have to kill the processes in Task manager or have to open Sandboxie control. There are easier ways to do that. You can right click SBIE control and click Terminate all programs or hover the browser over the Chrome sandbox name and click Delete contents.

You can also create a shortcut for terminating the Chrome sandbox with this path. Make sure the Chrome sandbox is named Chrome or change the name in the path to the one you named your Chrome sandbox. Afterward you ll be able to terminate and delete contents with one click by clicking the shortcut. You can leave the shortcut at the desktop or place it in your task bar.

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /box:Chrome /terminate

Bo

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have occasionally the same problem... always something to learn from Bo, thanks.

12. bo elam

Sandboxie 5.14 has officially being released.
    http://www.sandboxie.com/index.php?AllVersions

Version 5.14
    Released on 26 September 2016.

• Added new Sbie setting BlockNetworkFiles. It is available under Sandboxie Settings -> Restrictions.
    • When BlockNetworkFiles=y, sandboxed applications are blocked from reading network files or folders. Individual files/folders can be opened for reading/writing using the normal Resource Access settings.
    This option is enabled by default for new sandboxes.

• Fixed hang when starting MS Office applications.
    • Eliminated error SBIE2314 Cancelling process xxxx.exe (xxxx / 9)
    • Proxy Auto Config (PAC) files were not functioning in Win 10 Anniversary.
    • Vivaldi is now supported.
    • Fixed the Microsoft Account Sign-in Assistant issues (hotmail.com, outlook.com, etc.)
    • Fixed clipboard copy/paste failure from sandbox to host.
    • Fixed Actual Window Manager.
    Bo

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

14. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Awesome! just install over the top?

15. pling_man

Updated to 5.14 on my main machine using Help/Check for updates.
    I will try using the command line Bo gives to terminate chrome in the sandbox. Thanks.

16. bo elam

Yes, that's fine. :)

Bo

Last edited: Sep 27, 2016
  17. bo elam

If you rather, you could use one instead to Terminate all programs in all sandboxes. I got one like this one sitting in my task bar.

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /terminate_all

Bo

18. Overkill

Ok just checking :thumb:

19. Overkill

Okay, how do I add drive letters to protect in the latest version? There used to be a place (forced folders>add folder>popup window) I could type F:\ etc. but now it's gone :eek:

EDIT: when editing the ini, it doesn't cooperate when saving, it wants to save the file as text

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  20. bo elam

To Force folders, you do it as always. Nothing has changed. Go to Sandbox settings>Program start>Forced folders, Click "Add folder", browse to the folder and select it. No need to type anything.

If you want to edit sandboxie.ini, do it via Sandboxie UI. Sandboxie control>Configure>Edit configuration.

Bo

21. Overkill

Bo, there used to be an area in the popup window to type all free drive letters (not yet active but just incase) now that area is gone is what I mean. I'll try the ini again

EDIT: The ini worked doing it through the gui (I hardly ever mess with the ini) but I am wondering why they changed the popup window, it was very convenient to add drive letters that way. If I had the older version installed i'd screenshot what I mean incase your not sure.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  22. bo elam

Yes, I remember now. There used to be an "Add" or "Add/Edit" button that you could use for typing drive letters that were not active. The browse for folder dialog boxes were updated in beta 5.13.4, thats probably when that changed. I never used that button for adding letters but I can see why you feel inconvenient by not being there anymore.

There are still some places were you see those buttons (Resource access>File access). I have used the Add and Add/Edit buttons from there. What I done in the past to Force a drive letter that you cant navigate to it because it doesn't appear is to plug the flash drive so it shows up. Then force it.

Curt comes here sometimes and reads posts, perhaps he ll see yours and do something about it. Among the things that were changed in the Sandbox settings UI in 5.13.4, there was one that highly inconvenient me and he was very kind and changed it back. :)

Bo

23. Overkill

Yes exactly! the dialog box was extremely easy to add non-active drive letters to protect. Should I make a thread in the sbie forums?

24. bo elam

Sure, he ll see it and if a few other users say they miss that option, he might revert it.

Bo

25. Overkill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.