Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

remind me (cause I forget stuff) how Windows Photo Viewer opens jpg download in Firefox sandbox and WPV only asks for S/R rundll32.
    5.13.5, I C Recover to Any Folder.

3. bo elam

To view pictures in the Firefox sandbox using Windows Photo Viewer, allowing dllhost.exe to run in Sandbox settings>Restrictions allows Windows Photo Viewer to run sandboxed. For the second question, I think it has to do with WMP bur I am not sure what you asking. Try rephrasing it. :)

Bo

4. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay, only have rundll32 with Start/Run. Asked one question. "how Windows Photo Viewer opens jpg download in Firefox sandbox and WPV only asks for S/R rundll32".

5. bo elam

I am in W7 and XP. In my W7, allowing dllhost.exe to run allows me in my Firefox sandbox to open and view pictures using Windows Photo Viewer. In XP, I don't have to allow anything other than Firefox to use Window picture viewer for using the viewer to view pictures in a restricted sandbox. In neither computer, rundll32 is called upon or has to be allowed to sandbox the viewer. I think you are in W8 or 8.1, if rundll32 and/or dllhost are required for viewing pictures, allow them in Restrictions (it is safe to do).

If when you try to use the viewer, the sandbox only asks for rundll32 to run, then it means that pictures in your computer run using rundll32.

Bo

6. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay, thought I needed to force or at least allow Photo Viewer application. W10 + FFx64.
    I get jpg's with webmail from known sender. Yahoo scans, then I download one at time. And I see dialog to use Media Player or Photo Viewer. Photo Viewer opens with #.

7. bo elam

In your Firefox sandbox, you only force firefox.exe. Nothing else.

You allow to run firefox.exe and any exe for the programs that you use on a regular basis. Thats what I do. If photo viewer runs without you having to allow any exe, then the picture is running via Firefox.

Photo Viewer is not a program like firefox or WMP. In my W7, the viewer runs using dllhost. And dllhost is not a program that can be forced. If you force it, you ll have issues. But it can be allowed to run in Restrictions.

Bo

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  8. Sandboxie Support

Sandboxie Support Registered Member

Because while Vivaldi uses the same engine, it is it's own program and may handle things a different way. Consistent enough?

9. Sandboxie Support

It won't be supported as heavily as Opera, IE, FF or Chrome, but we will look at things from time to time. And just because it uses the same "engine" doesn't make it a clone. Otherwise, we'd just say use Chrome and only Chrome, Opera and Vivaldi have their own ways of doing certain things, and they may break. A Chrome fix may break Vivaldi and or Opera. Then we have to look at it a different way or say...use Chrome. Chrome it's the MOST popular browser used by SBIE according to our metrics. Vivaldi doesn't even rate. It's below Comodo's and Slimjet s browsers, which we don't usually look at all the time or at all.

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

No, it is not!

From SBIE forum:
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23084

You say:
    Curt says supported, next thing you say "still not". Hence for me it's an inconsistency. Even @Rasheed187 was confused when he said:

Any case, if you are right then the changelog should say:
    "Vivaldi is now quasi supported." Or anything alike.

11. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

OK thanks for the feedback. I hope you guys will continue to support Vivaldi as much as possible. Chrome and Opera are no options for me, since they are both crap.

12. bo elam

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  13. Sandboxie Support

14. askmark

askmark Registered Member

15. bo elam

Welcome to the club, ashmark. :cool:

Bo

16. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

Just because its not compatible or maybe not because u guys doesnt look much at it should we use chrome instead? that statement is realy not that good from a vendor. never heard something similar like this. doesnt like the behavour at all. isnt it right that a vendor need to try to make ot compatible as much as the vendor can with as much programs as it is possible? and it isnt that hard to make it compatible with vivaldi/Opera or whatever when something brakes. thats the deal on programing. if something brakes simply fix it. shouldn be that hard without much time. with a "strategie" like your(sandboxie) i would never buy a license or recomend it to anyone.

17. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

So when do we power users get a 'home pro' version or some such? I'd also settle for a beta testing position :p

I'm VERY intrigued with X but as it's out of our reach as home users it can be..somewhat annoying..to see you all 'tease' us lil ol' home consumers with a flagship product we can't inspect, test or use.... =(

This feeling is made worse for me when I consider that X (by Invincea - does that help the search results more than just X? - likely..) could/might handle many of the things I'm currently stuck/left fretting about with 'just SBIE'... [refer to last nights drunken post] but that's all supposition on my part as I can't actually see it in action to figure out what it is capable of and how I might apply it.

Either way /me never listens unless it's in the kitchen, I just keep on b17*h1n* until I feel I've clarified my position or you've beaten me into submission... [yes, I'm drunk once again - what's new?] so I'm sure I failed to accomplish what I wanted here but I'll send a wink your way anyway as that was nicely played. ;)

Last edited: Aug 26, 2016
  18. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

19. bo elam

I dont think Craig is suggesting to use Chrome instead of Vivaldi, he meant to say that Invincea spends most of their resources and time solving the issues with the programs that are widely used by the Sandboxie community. Vivaldi is not one of them, Chrome is. To me, that makes sense. I agree with you, it sounds bad the way he said it (he is not a salesman) but he is 100% correct in what he meant to say.

At this moment in time Vivaldi is compatible with Sandboxie. Perhaps you should test running it sandboxed. Its likely you ll be able to use the browser as you use it unsandboxed. Part of the beauty of running programs under SBIE is that you can use programs pretty much as you use them out of the sandbox. No inconvenience, very little difference in the usage of the program.

You say, "if something brakes simply fix it". Its not that easy. Sometimes to make a program compatible with Sandboxie, holes that weaken Sandboxies protection have to be implemented by the developers and that is something they wont do. And I agree, they should not open those holes. Usually when that happens, the affected users write posts like yours. But the Sandboxie developers do whats right (don't budge). :)

Bo

20. NWOAbschaum

NWOAbschaum Registered Member

i tryed vivaldi 64Bit under sandboxie. it does not open at all.. tryed the stable version from both.

21. bo elam

I suggest you try beta 5.13.5. Support for Vivaldi started in Beta 5.13.4. The link below has the installer and the changelog for this betas, read the changes for 5.13.4. If you still have Sandboxie in your computer, you can run the beta over the top. After installing the beta, if for some reason Vivaldi doesn't open or you have any kind of problem, I suggest you delete contents of the old DefaultBox and/or create a new sandbox. And run Vivaldi in the sandbox with default settings.
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=23084#p121863

See what happens. What system are you using, W7, W10? Are you using an antivirus?

Bo

22. Rasheed187

OK, so seems like Invincea X is still using virtualization. Can you perhaps post some screen-shots of the main GUI?

It's basically SBIE but with a behavior blocker/HIPS. I don't think they will ever add a HIPS to SBIE, since it's supposed to be focused on containing malware.

23. Rasheed187

24. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

May I ask a question of more knowledgeable Sandboxie users.

I want to start using KeePass drag and drop to copy user names and passwords into finance/shopping sites and stop using the less secure copy and paste.

Drag and drop only works, however, if I run KeePass and Firefox (my browser of choice) together in the same Sandbox. I have the password file that must be opened in My Documents folder and have set %Personal%\ to Read-Only Access. I am not sure if this is a good idea. Originally I had this set to Blocked Access because I don't need Firefox to see My Documents. Ideally I would like to keep it at Blocked Access and just have Read-Only access for the password file, but I have not been able to get it to work.

My main concern though is that KeePass may now be accessible to malicious processes running in the Sandbox. I know they won't be able to corrupt the information outside the sandbox but could they read the contents (passwords etc). I suppose this may depend on the strength of the KeePass security when its in memory and I don't know enough to comment. Part of me wants to believe that any ability to read the information existed when I used to run KeePass outside the Sandbox so having it in the Sandbox doesn't change anything.

So does anyone have any comments or tips for doing this securely?

25. 3x0gR13N

3x0gR13N Registered Member

The way I see it, there are 3 options:
    1) Set the restrictions in the sandbox you're running Firefox in to block all processes except the necessary ones. That way, there will be no untrusted processes running in your FF sandbox that could read the LastPass info.

2) Block the sensitive LastPass folder(s) from being accessed by processes other than Firefox and LastPass. Settings>Resource access>File Access>Blocked access>select FF and LastPass processes and click the ! next to them so all except them are blocked.

3) Figure out the necessary COM/IPC resources that drag and drop uses. I can't help you here.

AFAIK, LastPass local storage doesn't contain unencrypted sensitive info, so even if untrusted processes manage to read it and upload it it wouldn't pose a risk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.