Sandboxie Acquired by Invincea

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ad18, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Usually, when Firefox crashes in the sandbox often, the crash is related to plugin container or Flash Protected mode. You can test running Firefox for a few days without flash, if PM is causing the issue in your computer, you ll notice the crashes going away.

After your test. You can work this around by disabling Flash Protected mode. This usually solves the issue.

In my computers, I notice Flash working very well most of the times and then sometimes after an update, things are not so good. I found and what I done to have a very good experience with Firefox, flash and Sandboxie is use different sandboxes for different purposes. For example, I noticed that in YouTube, Firefox works better when I use a sandbox were all programs are allowed to run and connect. When I do that, there are no crashes. So, I have a YouTube sandbox. Same for CBS Sports and streaming games, then I have my regular everyday sandbox and another one for Daily motion and so on.

Do the test of going a few days without flash, you probably notice the difference, and then go from there.

Bo

2. bo elam

The picture looks good, Overkill. :cool:

Bo

3. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

Thanks Bo

4. ExtremeGamerBR

ExtremeGamerBR Registered Member

Thanks! This is great! :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  5. Elwe Singollo

Elwe Singollo Registered Member

Just wanted to say 5.11.4, with tweak for C2R Office recommended by Craig an Curt, is the first version of SBIE I've been able to run in my desired config since I moved to Win 8 x64 some 3 plus years ago. I don't use modern apps so now C2R Office is in the offering I'm good to go.

I've been using SBIE for at least 8 years but I always upgrade to latest releases of Windows largely because I consider kernal protection improves with each iteration. It does mean, or until now I thought, I have to lose my go to set-up of SBIE and occasionally some other stuff until it catches up. Win 8 introduced the possibility it would never catch-up into my my mind.

I takes a lot for me to say, as Tzuk was a bit of a hero of mine I don't mind admitting, but I don't think SBIE could have kept up with the pace of Windows change introduced by 8 and up if he hadn't given up the reigns. Yet another sign of his tactical awareness in terms of software development that he knew it would take more than a one man band to keep up. He was a coding genius in my view but the pace of change for an individual must have been daunting. He gave a unique and sound platform for others to build on. His contribution should never be overlooked or underplayed.

However, Invincea have not only taken on the many challenges facing SBIE in the current Windows environment but have caught up in a relatively short time and now appear to be ahead of the curve in support for fast ring changes before they go mainstream. The constant battle with Chrome development also seems to now be pro-active rather than reactive.

Those very few who will remember my previous user here of chris1341 will remember I was very sceptical about Invincea, I'm now very hopeful. Patience is a virtue I don't have but this is yet another lesson for me that sometimes it pays dividends.

Now they've done C2R I'm sure Edge will be next. I doubt I'll ever use it, for privacy rather than security reasons, but it is another statement of intent. Well done them.

Regards

6. bo elam

Huge improvement :thumb:....nice post, Chris.

Bo

7. sdmod

sdmod Shadow Defender Expert

Nice post Chris. I feel the same way.

8. Overkill

Overkill Registered Member

You're welcome :)

9. bo elam

Beta 5.11.5 has been released, it includes a C2R fix that makes Office programs fly. :cool:
    http://forums.sandboxie.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=22660#p119291

Bo

10. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

Salutations/Greetings/Friends,

@bo elam, appreciate the information on the update! Nice!:)

Thank you!:thumb:

11. bo elam

You are welcome, my joy to make the announcement, Moose :cool:. I can report all feels great with this version, like best ever.:)

Bo

12. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

asked before...forget answer.
    I'll run Firefox 32bit and 64bit in same Firefox sandbox.
    Does Sandboxie only see file name... e.g., firefox.exe.
    Is path or hash not relevant...?

13. Infected

Infected Registered Member

Does one say FF64 or just firefox.exe? I can't remember. If not, both should run in the same sandbox, i know IE does.

14. bo elam

bjm, I only run Firefox 32 bits. But, right click the shortcut for Firefox 64 bits, and run it in a sandbox. Then, open Sandboxie control and you ll see there if its firefox.exe running as with the 32 bits version or something similar with 64 bits next to it.

Bo

15. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

the path is ProgramFiles or ProgramFiles(x86)....the file name is same > firefox.exe.
    Shortcuts show Mozilla Firefox for 64bit and Firefox for 32bit.
    I tell difference by User Agent > WOW64 for Firefox 32 and x64 for Firefox 64bit.
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; Win64; x64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0 and
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
    And 32bit has more default plugins.

16. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yep, 32 and 64 show > firefox.exe in Sandboxie Control
    So, my Firefox sandbox... runs firefox.exe 32 or 64 by file name or path or hash...?
    e.g., Taskbar shortcuts for 32 and 64 runs same firefox sandbox.
    e.g., If I run FF64 then call 32. 64 will open again.
    FF32 or 64 calls same Firefox sandbox...?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2016
  17. Elwe Singollo

Elwe Singollo Registered Member

Agreed!

18. bo elam

Alright, bjm. I am glad you got it now. :)

But I would run each browser in its own sandbox. As Tzuk would say, for better isolation, separate programs.

Bo

19. bo elam

Yes, really is. When I wrote that comment yesterday, I meant it. This is a solid version. :cool:

Bo

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes, but why. Why does different (forced) program call same sandbox.
    Is call simply by file name 'firefox.exe'...? regardless 32 or 64
    Why not 'call sandbox' by path or hash..?

21. bo elam

Probably because both Firefox versions are forced by same firefox.exe. If it was me, I would only be using one Firefox. But you got the two versions. So, if I was you, I would create sandboxed shortcuts for each Firefox version, and set them to run in its own sandbox. To keep the desktop from getting crowded, I would place the shortcuts in the taskbar. I think doing this would work fine.

Bo

22. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Okay, I'll run 32/64 on occasion for an issue I'm testing.
    Okay, I'll create discrete FF32 and FF64 sandbox.
    So, any sandbox call is solely by file name...?
    Edit: re Isolation> discrete FF32 and FF64 sandbox will share same profile.

23. bo elam

You force the exe for the program you want to force, that's really the way its supposed to be done. Lately, I am seeing some users forcing the programs folder, it might also work doing it that way, but its not the way forcing programs is supposed to be done, and at times, the forced program might fail to run sandboxed automatically if done that way. I think, If we are going to use Sandboxie, lets use it the proper way.

Bo

24. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yes!, so....Open/Select File will be by path..? while, within Sandboxie Control...firefox.exe will be sole identifier.

25. bo elam

Yes, thats why I am suggesting you create sandboxed shortcuts for each version of Firefox, and then place the shortcuts in the taskbar.

By the way, I do something like that for another reason. In my taskbar, I have two sandboxed shortcuts for firefox to run in other sandboxes than the one where I force Firefox. The icons look the same and I don't get confused. I know exactly when to use each shortcut.

In your case, all you ll have to remember is that one of the shortcuts is for the 64 bits version and the other one for the 32 bits version. I believe you know how to create sandboxed shortcuts, so, make one and add the firefox.exe from Program files for each version. My computers are 32 bits so I cant test, but try and see.

Bo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.