Sandboxie / 8's IE Tile

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by philby, Nov 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. philby

philby Registered Member

Hello All

Am I right in thinking that if a user runs iexplore.exe using the Start Page tile, then these sessions are not sandboxed at all, even if iexplore.exe is 'forced' in SB?

That's what I'm seeing here on my machine...

Cheers

philby

2. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Yes, same here. Only Desktop apps are sandboxed.

Tzuk has no plans to include 'Metro as was' apps support to SBIE as he feels the App Container is strong enough and SBIE would little to security for the effort involved. At least that was his view last I saw him write about this subject on his own forum.

Cheers

3. philby

philby Registered Member

...he feels the App Container is strong enough ...

Thank you - I didn't even know what this was! Will read about it...

One more question: I'm used to using IE sandboxed with the box set to delete all content on close - that way I know I have nothing left on the system after any particular session. If IE is run as a 'contained app' via ex-Metro, are all traces of that session gone, or are there files sprayed all round the system when the app is closed?

Cheers

philby

4. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hi Philby,

The App Container is policy based restriction rather than virtualisation so unless IE10 has some internal way of dropping changes on exit they would remain.

You can run IE10 as a desktop rather than metro app though where it would continue to be sandboxed.

Cheers

5. philby

philby Registered Member

You can run IE10 as a desktop rather than metro app though where it would continue to be sandboxed.

Exactly what I'll do - if tile IE leaves 'detritus', despite offering protection through restriction, I'll stick with sandboxed d/t IE!

Thanks

philby

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.