Sandboxie 64bit Version

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Scoobs72, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victek

Victek Registered Member

Patchguard makes it harder to provide the same level of protection in the 64 bit OS that is possible in the 32 bit OS. All the security software developers are dealing with it. It's as simple as that, but unless you're a programmer there's no direct way to evaluate this. You have to read the available information carefully to make an informed decision about what software to use.

2. arran

arran Registered Member

Due to patch guard sandboxie does not have kernel access so therefore it cannot properly Isolate/contain malware in the sandbox, it still can prevent writing to harddisk but not properly control the behavior of apps and malware.
    therefore you should only install/run trusted apps. If you have a new app you want to try, try it on a separate OS back up.

However on 64bit it is still possible to be free from malware 100 percent by denying the creation of new files or ie deny writing access. and by preventing the malware from running in the first place with a anti executable or by sandboxies start run access. I'm not sure what executable file types sandboxie blocks from running but all executable file types needs to be blocked ie dll script executables not just exe.

3. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

I was waiting a Sandboxie for 64 bit ,it s good news.I hope its secure enough for my browser .Without sanboxie i feel extremely unsecure while browsing in W7 64 bit.My KIS trial just finished and without the sanbox module i feel doomed ,always have to reboot in XP 32 bit ,to use Sandboxie , when searching for something on the nets.
    I ve tryed already 3.43 11 and 3.43 12 ,but it doesnt seem to work ,clicking on the sandboxie icon on the desktop it doesnt open the sandboxed browser (Firefox).
    It gives a message "SBIE 1223 Cannot replace token .[C00000BB/22]" ,picture atached .
    Is it something that must be set up or its just an error due to the imature release?
    W7 64 bit RC 7100 ,Comodo firewall and Avast 5 free latest beta build (withoout the HIPS module).
    Thanks tzuk!

Eroare sandboxie.jpg

4. pidbo

pidbo Registered Member

5. Serapis

Serapis Registered Member

Given that Microsoft's PatchGuard protection prevents Sandboxie from working properly in 64-bit Windows, can we users help by lobbying Microsoft for the necessary APIs? Regarding their PatchGuard APIs, Microsoft says:

1: "Microsoft must choose what to develop and when to develop it, based on the frequency of requests and the most significant and common issues ..." (emphasis added)

2: "If your application or driver must perform a task that you believe cannot be accomplished without patching the kernel, then contact KPPinput@Microsoft.com ..."

Judging from the spirited posts in the sandboxie forum, surely some of us Sandboxie fans wouldn't mind pestering Microsoft in an effort to influence their API development priorities. Would it help to petition the above address, or are there better ways to push for the APIs Sandboxie needs?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.