Sandboxie 64bit Version

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Scoobs72, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think it should be pretty good. In a lot of the playing with malware I did, I tested against Sandboxie and Online Armor with it's Run Safer, which is a lowering of rights thing. Online Armor's Run Safer protected the system almost as well as Sandboxie. Only difference was one type of malware that encrpyted files. It didn't need privileges so Run Safer didn't help, whereas Sandboxie kept the new encrypted files in the sandbox. Which leads to the other difference. The lowered rights protect the system, but don't delete the malware whereas Sandboxie does.

Putting all three vendors together would amount to nothing in Microsofts eyes. It would take IBM, GM, and several big corporations to influence them.

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Couple comments here.

First, if you start browser, in SBIE, from a User account, there should be no concerns, correct?

Second, is the concern here that if you start browser, from admin, in SBIE, that the Drop Rights feature of SBIE is then what is needed to completely contain the browser?

Third, 64bit is a bit width of data. It is twice as large as 32bit, hence the push to realize 64bit (meaning faster, bigger, better). This is in no way strange or a con or ploy. It is the same as creating faster processors or memory. The industry both wants to gather the performance of 64bit and of course the sales in upgrades to get the said performance.

Myself I have 64bit OS's, but only use 32bit. While 64bit can give me access to more ram, at this moment I don't see 64bit outweighing 32bit in terms of backwards compatability. I have more software that I own and/or want to use that runs on 32bit than 64bit, and I am not about to purchase updates or alternates for something that already works fine.

It is unfortunate that so many OEM computers do not give a choise of 32 or 64, and do not inform the user of the likeliness that programs they have may not operate correctly under 64bit.

But on the flip side I know many guys in corporate land who would not go back to 32bit, so there is also a use issue to consider.

I do hope SBIE can make it to 64bit successfully, as it and a handful of other apps just might persuade me to go to 64bit.

Sul.

3. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

How long I tried to carve this message through his skull. Unfortunately, that's the main reason I won't use his software again.

4. Sully

Sully Registered Member

What does this refer to?

5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Come on guys, we are only talking of services (no applications :thumb: ) which are able to perform side by side intrusions of objects with the lowest only rights :thumb: . A limited user is not allowed to start or stop services on top of that. so what is the actual/practical risk? :D

Anomolies
    a) I have a friend who is paranoid on on-line security, still he handles over his credit card and is not suspicious when a restaurant owner stays away with his card for a long time (his ass was saved by data mining/data intelligence software of his bank, recently some guy in rumania bought for 2000 euros on suites on his card, the banking company rejected it, becasue they had allowed a few low amount purchases in london on the same day).

b) I have a friend (a gamer) who is paranoid on key loggers and his WoW account info, yet he allows anti-cheating software to virtually own his PC. Lately his credits plus gaming points were gone. After fuzzing around on gamers forum, at least 7 other victims were found. They all gamed through the same server. The company and WoW provided them new accounts and provided them their credits and game points back.

c) Programs like Sandboxie and DefenseWall evolved to practically unbeatable security programs on a rather unsafe (everybody his own admin) OS called XP, now we have more resilient OS-ses and you know the possible attack vectors upfront. When you consider risk plus impact of this. do you still feel unsafe or left with a worse deal than on XP x86 (versus Win7 x64)?

Cheers Kees

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  6. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Oh, sorry. It's in his first post on the linked thread.

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes the word ''inevitable'' worries me the most.

I guess 90% of the computer users have no need for 64 bit,32 bit is just fine for them.

8. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Even with x64's reduced security, it isn't going to have any impact whatsoever. SB is only used primarily by a select minority of very competent users (just scan the SB forum or here and this is blatantly obvious) - those who don't really need it in the first place, who already know several means of securing their machines against malware vectors. It isn't a mainstream product in the least, used by joe average home user who's only aware of Nortons (sic) and McAfee.

9. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

I advised a friend in buying a laptop this Christmas and was pleasantly surprised by Toshiba (Satellite) which came with 64 bit Windows 7 preinstalled plus recovery partition, and a 32 bit Windows 7 disk in the box for 'complete software compatibility if needed' advising first to take an image if wanting to go back to 64.

Anyway, 64bit Sandboxie:thumb: what every OS needs, a sandbox.

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I brought this up in the sandboxie forums but have yet to receive a response, but I cannot get this new build to work properly on my x64 Windows 7 system. Every time I try to launch an application that I put inside a sandbox I get an instant BSOD (followed by memory dumps and an involuntary restart). I have no idea why this is?

11. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I think you missed the reason he was doing it. In any case he was wise enough to change his decision.

That's a silly reason not to use excellent software.

12. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Have you checked the Software Compatibility ... in SB control/ under Configure tab ? Anything listed

If you can find the problem in the dump file, the cause ... you can manually add the file to SB's compatibility options. Not sure how effective that is going to be, but might be a temp fix.

13. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

its working perfectly on my box here, but of course, stops my Prevx SafeOnline from running, which is disappointing. :rolleyes:

i am glad though, that my really old lifetime licence is still working. :)

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  14. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

Ahh, whadya know, the perils of piling on security software :rolleyes:

15. PC__Gamer

PC__Gamer Registered Member

lol, i wont be using SBIE, but definatly thought id try it as i do own it from a few years back, and the license is supposed to be lifetime, and the license worked! yipppeee

i will however, be removing SBIE and sticking to Prevx with SafeOnline.

i get the feeling this isnt the same kind of protection anyway as the 32.bit version.

16. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

You're right. Tzuk made that clear in his initial stance against supporting x64, but it'll probably be more than adequate if the typical user is above-average with computers, as they seem to be.

17. cruchot

cruchot Registered Member

tzuk said

18. arran

arran Registered Member

Browsing with Java Disabled.
    No Script add on
    and either Proxomitron or Admuncher increases browsing security significantly.

Also does anyone know if EQsecure has 64bit? or a windows 7? version. it only says on the site System Requirement:XP/2003/Vista
    http://www.3dprotect.com/en/downloads.html

19. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

The word "need", I think is relative to each person. There is no rule requiring us to need something in order to have it.

Nothing you can do to stop it, so my as well not worry about it.:)

20. arran

arran Registered Member

what makes you think Prevx would be any better than Sandboxie? Prevx also won't have any Kernel mode access due to patch guard. All security for that matter is in the same boat.

21. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

I've been following the thread on the official Sandboxie forums for a while now, and I'm a bit confused about some of the complaints flying about over there. Some folk seem to be complaining that the x64 version of Sandboxie is inherently less secure than the x86 version, owing to the kernel protection of PatchGuard. Is Sandboxie x64 neutered? I've been thinking about using it, but some of the complaints over there seem to indicate that it might not provide any security anymore.

Second, if I decide to start using Sandboxie, I'd want it to work well with Opera and my IM client. Of course, I'd still like some things to be 'saved' from sessions - I.E. anything like cookies from legit websites to save settings and login information, and Logfiles from IM sessions. Is that possible with Sandboxie? Or is everything in the sandbox always saved or deleted, unless you want to manually recover individual files (which I'd have a hard time identifying)!

I'd ask over on the official forums, but they don't really have any areas for anything except bug reports and problems, it looks like.

22. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

What I have been acustomed to see from Tzuk is quality software. Without glittery UI and oh-i-am-too-dumb settings.

True in its present form, Tzuk has honestly vented Sandboxie x64 has limitation (as does every other competing x64 product - even if they don't publicly disclose it). But I am confident that Tzuk will bring his product up to speed with the rest of the products available for x64.

Its a bit naive to think that with patch guard around you can still have the same abilities as Sandboxie x32. Unless prevalent strains of malware appear which can somehow penetrate PatchGuard; Sandboxie64+LUA will be more than sufficient protection IMHO.

23. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Sandboxie 64 bit has only just arrived. Way too early to write it off, Carbonyl.

Search the Sandboxie configuration threads here at Wilders, there are quite a few ... all have really good tips, like locations to add for Firefox, IE, Messengers, etc.

24. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

More limitations as expected on a naked (no other Security soft) Vista x64 SP2 machine :D

Ahh well Returnil free is available for x64 as an alternative or my do-it-yourself-sandbox

Attached Files:

• sbie.jpg
      sbie.jpg
      File size:
      24.6 KB
      Views:
  25. Carbonyl

Carbonyl Registered Member

I'm certainly not writing it off, just trying to figure out why folks on the official forums are crowing about its not being as secure as the 32-bit version. I'm too dumb to follow their complaints.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.