Sandboxie 51% off on January 15!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Fuzzfas, Jan 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Awesome.Thanks for info.I'm gonna get one for one of my friends who told me she's terrorized by sandboxie nagscreen :) .

3. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

I agree its a great gift/investment ... :thumb:

4. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, all:

Sandboxie is a great app to purchase already--always lifetime ?

But with this deep discount at the beginning of this round of depression (?), just let me wounder, which one is the NEXT. Watch your wallet !!

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Thank you fuzzfas,for the heads up.:thumb:

6. Dark Shadow

Defensewall I hope.:D

7. Fuzzfas

Who's next? MANY more i hope! Lifetime with 50% discount too! This one is one of those that you just can't miss!

A discount? Sooner or later it will come. Lifetime license? I think not, unfortunately.

But there is still hope for other products! :argh: Bring on the lifetime licenses and prepare to be boarded! 1.gif

8. lost24

lost24 Registered Member

OMG I didn't know about this website. It looks great :D

9. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

I'm glad Fuzzfas started this thread. I saw this deal yesterday because I've been checking the site ever since I missed the deal on Mamutu last month. But now that this great new deal is out, can I ask if anyone has actual experience dealing with the bitsdujour site? They are selling the software (or license) cheaper than the producers of the software. Is it legit?

10. Fuzzfas

While browsing over at gladiator forum, i noticed Ilya has used that site for a discount on Defensewall in October. So it's legit alright. They make these discounts after a deal with the vendor.

11. paniccom

paniccom Registered Member

Thanks, Fuzzfas. I am definitely going to purchase it. And $14 isn't much to risk anyway. I'm still mad I missed the Mamutu deal, though!

12. Reimer

Reimer Registered Member

Amazing deal IMO considering the license is lifetime and you're not limited to a single computer. You can install it on as many computers that you own

great product and great development from tzuk :thumb:

13. Fuzzfas

I like Mamutu too, but i change security setup configuration way too often to live with online activations. I hate them. Other than that it was a very good price.

On Sandboxie i don't think it as risk. I have googled it a bit and all seem to talk well of BitsDuJour.

I think if they were a fraud site, they would have been caught by now. And the price and lifetime license of Sandboxie are low enough to be very tempting. Even applying the 19% VAT , the price is still low enough. :thumb:

14. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

I'm just waiting

15. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

its hard to argue or beat the protection of these types of software.

but is that right, $14 for a lifetime licence, how can DefenseWall compete with this? :blink:

16. boonie

boonie Registered Member

Sweet deal. Thanks Fuzzfas.

17. Fuzzfas

Well, Defensewall, has a more wide area of action than Sandboxie. But i agree, this 14$ deal is very hard to refuse. I won't!

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

they said that defensewall can not beat that price,i agreed and what about the easy of use of defensewall out the box protection without any user configuration can sandboxie beat that:D
    note:i am not angry or starting an angry coments,just my 2 cents;)i am a fan boy

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  19. Dark Shadow

I am not sure about out of the box thing still learning both apps,But So far outside of default settings, Sandboxie can be tweaked to a maximum security prison for Life. I am a fan Boy, thank you very much.LOL

20. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Check out the Geswall Pro license fee :p

IMHO, GentleSecurity are pricing themselves out of the market with the paid version when compared to the opposition. Which is a shame as they have a good product.

21. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

The auditory for SBIE and DW is different, despite, sometimes, our programs live in peace and harmony on user's computers. :)

22. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

As about the price- when 2.50 will be released, I'm going to separate license with Basic ($29.95, without outbound traffic control) and regular ($39.95, with outbound traffic control) and, I assume, it won't push my product out of its market, as I'm going to make this Internet traffic control Matousec 100% bulletproof. :)

23. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

exactly, so $40 a year?

Sandboxie can be bought for $14 for a lifetime licence,

can someone please tell me the differences between the too.

dont get me wrong though, im a fan of DefenseWall and i do still own a valid licence for it, but speaking of these prices, it puts me off DefenseWall.

24. Fuzzfas

After the first year, renewal is $ 10.95 (VAT excluded) for every year. At least with the current pricing policy.

Yes, you can't beat that...

What puts me off is the CPU usage. :D The price isn't too high for renewal, if you really use the program. It can save you from various headaches.

Sanboxie is virtualization sandbox. The application you run under it, will flush all changes when you empty the sandbox. The sandboxed application uses virtual registry and system files, so it doesn't write anything on the real system. It's like running Returnil or Shadow Defender , but only at application level, not system wide.

DW is a policy sandbox or "policy HIPS" as it is officially called. You divide applications to trusted and untrusted. The untrusted won't be able to alter the trusted or system files and have reduced priviledges and resource access (can't alter registry either, unless there is explicit permission). If you encounter a malware, it is so becoming harmless. The difference is that it doesn't flush on exit. (eventual malware will remain on the system, but contained). Also, because of the way it is meant to run, it provides wider coverage of applications.

On the other hand, IMHO, Sanboxie is a tad simpler in user interaction (no chance that will need support for just running an application, no chance that you will be asked something, there is nothing that you can't understand right away in the menus) and for sandboxing the browser. Also eats much less CPU. DW won't bother you either as long as your applications are in the presets of the program.

DW is more "system wide" application. You can put in the list all your applications that use internet and sleep peacefully that you won't get infected from any of those applications. With Sandboxie such approach can be made but with more configuration and with some applications (p2p) can become from problematic to impossible (ex. emule).

IMHO,
    -if you want wider protection --> DW. DW has also the characteristic that it doesn't "flush" anything, so you don't lose any data in case you forget to save them. It's all in your hard disk.
    -If you want idiot-proof browser security at low cost in $ and CPU ---> Sandboxie. You can also run simple installations and exes in sandboxie, but with complicated installers it will fail. DW is better in this sector.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  25. Fuzzfas

I think Geswall commited pretty much suicide over the past period even with the 3(?) month expiration free version. Who wants a "free" version that expires after 3 months? That's like a trial period. Now they realized it and made it 1 year...

As for their price, it's without discount 34.90 euros per year (VAT excluded). While the most direct competitor, DW, has a price of 23.12 euros per year (VAT exc.). So, yes, they are commiting suicide here too... Why would anyone pay 12 euros more than DW for GS? :blink: Even when the DW with outbound traffic comes, with similar price (39.90 $), it will be tough not to choose DW, for the simple fact that DW is simpler to use...

If GS wanted to really do something about sales, they should either drop their current price considerably or give lifetime license.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.