Sandboxie 3.39.02 BETA released!

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ssj100, Jul 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arran

arran Registered Member

LOL this is funny I notice ssj you have all of a sudden removed Avira from your sig.

anyway the problem with having only 1 security app is it is like Putting all your eggs in one basket which is not a good idea. if malware bypasses your 1 and only security app you have nothing else in back up to stop it.

2. virtumonde

virtumonde Registered Member

Depends,the case that i talked about sandboxie did it's job but unfortunately an unproven conflict with other security application allowed it to be bypassed on my PC only,which until further info also proves nothing
    Thanks ssj for the warning ,i have KiS and sandboxie on my work PC and for obious reasons i can't run any tests there,even with POC's

3. arran

arran Registered Member

ok now that we have the VT link that virtumonde sent us which bypasses sandboxie with avira installed, anyone have any ideas as to where or how to get hold of this malware sample??

4. arran

arran Registered Member

well I see a pattern going on both virtumondes conflict and this latest conflict is both only happening on windows XP. and since I will be going to windows 7 when it arrives no major issue if it doesn't get fixed.

By the way does any one have Windows 7 to test to see if there is a conflict?

5. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

This is running well on Vista 32-bit. Does it support 64-bit?

It seems fine with all my other current real-time programs: Avira, Prevx, Outpost, and KeyScrambler Free.

6. Wildest

Wildest Registered Member

Some of my earliest posts here asked questions along these lines; I have been thinking about moving in this direction for over a year now.

Well, you have articulated very clearly what appears to be a sound strategy.
    Given the poor pure firewall functionality of CIS compared to Outpost Pro, I would go one step further and substitute the former with the latter, although unfortunately Pro is not free.

I wonder how the pure firewall functionality and performance of Outpost Free compares with the Firewall part of CIS?

7. mvdu

mvdu Registered Member

8. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well Outpost has experience on its side when it comes to making a firewall and ther logging is simply the best ive seen, and ther actually is a free version of the firewall that is identical to the pro when it comes to its HIPS and Firewall, but u can choose to just use the FW.

9. arran

arran Registered Member

demoneye had nothing to do with the reason why you changed set ups. No good trying to use demoneye as an excuse.
    It seems like you have taken the easy way out. as soon as there becomes 1 little conflict problem, before you even give vendors a chance to fix you immediately jump ship and change your security set up. So now all you have is sandboxie with no system wide protection at all. If I did the same as you and dumped MD I would loose my file and folder rules and many other things. anyway we need to get back on topic and stop talking about ssj's new set up.

10. Wildest

I don't think it is too much OT ATM; the focus is still on the SandBoxie beta, just exploring a little the possibility of using it sans AV and HIPS.

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

All i can say is that i ONLY running Sandboxie on my network(4 boxes) now for 11 months without any trouble,yes behind a hardware firewall and thats all.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i like the way of been very positive of system protection:thumb:

13. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

14. Wildest

Your security setup is only "simplified" conceptually.

Most people will not care enough to take the time to learn how to work in the "Sanboxie Way", ever.

15. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Or most people would rather not give up 64 bit for a simple program with an arrogant author. Bring on Prevx's 64 bit sandboxing functions!

16. arran

arran Registered Member

There is also a conflict with outpost Pro firewall. just installed it and htaab.exe and htaac.exe bypass sandboxie.

17. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Arrogant? No. Honest, as are Ilya and Xiaolin, about the limitations of porting their security apps to 64-bit? Yes.

18. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

The arrogance doesn't come from the unwillingness to port to 64 bit, it comes from hes attitude not only towards that, but several issues raised on hes forums.

Limitations, please, developers crying all the time because they don't want to re-write code, yet they get paid to do it. I see other devs managing just fine every single day.

19. Dregg Heda

Dregg Heda Registered Member

Whats the problem with 64-bit? That whole patchguard thing with MS refusing to allow security vendors to hook into the kernel or something of that ilk?

What are the chances MS will be forced to backdown from this? Or will we be forced to use MS security software for strong protection?

20. arran

arran Registered Member

its not only Tzuk but Ilya and Xiaolin also say they can't make 64 bit version so 64 bit is out of the question end of discussion.

whats more important at the moment is Tzuk fix this conflict. This conflict seems to be with all other programs or most of them. we can't go down the same path as ssj and uninstall all other security software and just have sandboxie. I wouldn't call Tzuk arrogant, give him time to fix first. If not well then.

Its times like this when I wish Easter was still around

21. arran

arran Registered Member

I am going to make some LOGICAL non criticism comments as to why I think only having sandboxie is a bad idea.

What if you download files that you want to keep that you would have to save outside of your sandbox and they are infected? you say you wouldn't let any random executable file from running how are you going to prevent things from running outside of the sandbox?

What if you go to a gaming lan and your computer is connected to other computers and they transfer malware onto your pc, or if you plug in a USB device which has malware, you no longer have a hips or av how are you going to intercept and stop the malware from running??

edit also what if there is at some stage malware able to bypass sandboxie. and the malware also infects all your other data on other partitions including your backed up OS image, what are you going to do?

22. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I do weekly on demand scans with MBAM and/or SAS to confirm that everything is OKE and up until now they never complained beside incidental FP's.
    The more i get the hang of SB,the more i lose my paranoia. LOL :D

23. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I run Prevx with it. Uninstalled it and ran just SB. Saw no difference in system impact. Put Prevx back on. To me thr best combo I have found and my goal is minimal, not solo.

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

then every internet facing app is sandboxed? Because if not, without a real time scanner, you have a hole and it can happen. That is why I like Prevx over a AV. I dont need HTTP scanning with SB, but I do need to know if something crawls in through a crack.

25. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well thats cool. But since Prevx offers me no lag on my system, think I will keep mine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.