Sandbox RX

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Atomas31, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Hi Kees.
    No problem here using SandboxRX or IESandbox on a standard config XP SP3 VM :doubt:

2. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Yeah, something wrong with Sandbox RX. I saw this at once - it remembered the desktop state after I deleted the old sandbox file and created a new one. I have no information about the program to make conclusions, this very likely is a bug. Kaspersky 2011 has a very similar approach with their inbuild sandbox. Sandbox RX is significantly extended. I can can make several sandboxes for example, attach a sandbox as a virtual drive, select the drives to be sandboxed etc. It is definitely worth trying.

3. guzheng

guzheng Registered Member

Hi Leach,

Create a new sandbox will do(version 3.0.4 plus):
    1. Create a new encrypted virtual disk image, mount and format it.
    2. Copy host desktop to virtual desktop, build registry shadow, create file system descriptor.
    3. (optional)Start sandbox, switch to virtual desktop, re-arrange icon, refresh wallpaper.

Thanks.

4. Leach

Leach Registered Member

guzheng,

After you kindly shared some valuable information I tried to reproduce the issue and I failed. The issue was it remembered the old condition of (right click the desktop->)"show the desktop icons" while I had switched it.

SandboxRX makes two files with the name I provide and different extentions. For a newly created sandbox and a one lounched app, Opera for example, it will take approximately 100 Mb of free space. I understand, currently the program is in beta state and needs some corrections to be made, especially in gui and indication areas. But even now it is very impressive although maybe with the same restrictions sandboxie has for now. The future will show.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  5. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Thx, I tried IESandbox. It launches incredibly fast compared to other virtualisation sandboxes

It would not run flash movies for some reason.

6. guzheng

Regarding with the "SandboxRX makes two files", usually two files, one is descriptor, the other is data file, can have many data files and only one descriptor file.

Regarding with the 100 MB space used, most of them are:
    1. NTFS metafiles, include mft/bitmap/log... about 50MB.
    2. desktop fiiles/shortcuts/wallpaper/registry... at least 3MB.
    3. temporary files/cookies and other files opera created...
    Right click the drive letter of virtual disk will show exactly the used space.

Thanks

7. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

Which version of IE/Flash were you using as a point of interest? I tested with IE8/Flash 10.1 RC.Yes there doesn't seem to be any noticeable difference in launch time for a sandboxed IE.

8. Leach

Leach Registered Member

guzheng,

thank you very much for the information. It is especially valuable as I and maybe other people here can not find any technical information at all. Could I ask if you are possibly aware of any links conserning SandboxRX it would be highy appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010
  9. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Yesterday I tried Sandbox RX and that works fine with IE, I will give it another go with the latest flash

Edit: works well now

Last edited: Jun 12, 2010
  10. guzheng

Hi Leach,

There are some comments on privateworkplace.com, and the documents with more details will come soon.

Thanks

11. Leach

Leach Registered Member

SandBox RX updated to 3.0.6.

Got some troubles on my VM - slowdowns, BSODs, very unstable version.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2010
  12. guzheng

Some new features were added in 3.0.6, perhaps brought new bugs.
    (New features are: file/folder encryption, right click on the file/folder, then select encrypt files. maybe it result in these problems, did you try it?)

Could you tell me the codes of BSOD?

Thanks

13. Leach

Leach Registered Member

No problem.

Problem Signature:
    Name of event: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Language Code: 1049

Additional data:
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C0000005
    BCP2: 9EDBB19B
    BCP3: A659D910
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

C:\Windows\Minidump\062110-97079-01.dmp packed into ZIP archive and has .TXT extention - site attachment restrictions, sorry.

Attached Files:

14. Leach

Leach Registered Member

I can see it in the explorer menu but not sure what I should do with it. I can not gain access to the encrypted file from the system nor from SBRX. System says the file is not found, and there's no link to the file from within SBRX.

Anybody who's interested reading a chineese help file - I made a quick translation into english. It's a .CHM file and you can read it by just double clicking on the file I attached here. It has a .TXT extention, otherwise I wouldn't be able to attach it. Please rename it to "whatever name" with ".CHM" extension. Not sure there's much to read.

Attached Files:

• help.txt
      File size:
      157.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  15. guzheng

file encryption: very simple, just create a shadow of the file want to encrypt, then write some words such as "encrypted by pw" to the original file, and the shadow file was placed in "PW box"(encrypted virtual disk).

need start "pw box" before accessing encrypted files. Right click the "pw box" in sanboxrx console, then select "Access encrypted files...", input username and password, after that, you can access encrypted files as normal.

and thanks for your dump file, very helpful. btw, the help file is not useful until now, just an empty document, same as tips.xml(also empty).

16. guzheng

Hi Leach,
    just let you know, the bugs have been fixed in 3.0.6.2.
    Thanks.

17. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Thanks for the message. Gonna play around one of these days.

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Is this SandboxRx the same one that Horizon had asked folks to sign up for Beta testing and been saying for months now that a Beta would be ready for testing soon.

http://horizondatasys-forum.com/sandbox-rx/783-sandbox-rx-2.html

19. guzheng

Yes, you are right, privateworkplace.com is just a web for internal used(not official web of SandboxRx), the guru will download it and select a stable version to release(perhaps release after modified help.chm/tips.xml...).

20. Leach

Leach Registered Member

SB RX v3.0.6.2 built 250230.

Created a new sandbox, exited, launched SBRX again and got BSOD attempting to start an empty sandbox just created, sorry:

Signature:
    Name: BlueScreen
    OS version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Код языка: 1049

Additional info:
    BCCode: 1000008e
    BCP1: C0000005
    BCP2: 9DFCB2DC
    BCP3: A5AC795C
    BCP4: 00000000
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

There's still certainly some work to do.

21. guzheng

Could you send me the dump file like before? or send it to guzheng2000@gmail.com, thanks.

22. Leach

Leach Registered Member

Sent a e-mail.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.