Samsung releases first DDR4 module

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Ocky, Jan 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ocky

Ocky Registered Member

Samsung releases first DDR4 module
    Uses less power, so good for laptops.

2. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

lol, ddr3 is still pretty new and already ddr4 :D

3. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

Technology keeps rolling hehe.. :D

4. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Many video cards already use DDR 5 for some time now.Why would they make DDR 4 ?! :) Maybe to keep the price up ,by making small quantities of any of them ?! Any piece of memory you want to buy ,DDR2 or 3 has a big price for some time now.Something is phishy in this industry like usually.

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

idk the technical aspects as to why graphics cards have better memory than regular RAM, but im sure thers some sort of difference in the way graphics memory functions to regular system RAM.

6. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Actually graphics cards have been using GDDR5. GDDR memory is not the same as DDR. The primary difference is operating voltage - GDDR is lower.

7. Sm3K3R

Sm3K3R Registered Member

Maybe they are different in some areas ,but the trick is to make new standards so they can get some more money from us.

So they make factories to produce the new DDR 4 cips which will have in the bigining high price.In same time the older DDR 2 and 3 grow in price because the chip ammount to be deilvered to memory vendors drops ,not that DDR 3 /DDR 2 prices are extremelly good for the moment for us.

As the software from nowdays ,used by average Joe ,doesnt even use more than 3 Gigs of RAM how could they make you upgrade so you can pay more ?! A new standard to cope with a new memory controller.Ported console games will not get you to use more than 2 Gigs of system RAM :)

DDR 3 was so good over the DDR 2 that it forced me to not upgrade :) I really don t care about the power consumption reduction from DDR2 to DDR3.My AMD CPU-s give the same performance with DDR 2 as with DDR 3 so ... no wasted money from my side.

Maybe the release of this DDR 4 is related to some new Intel(most probable) and AMD CPU-s ,with new memory controllers .

For me personally GDDR 5 and DDR5 are the same :) ,it s about the way they work ,thing that should be similar - > low power consumption and higher bandwidth.

DDR4 is a dead avorton in my opinion .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.