Sales tax on a license renewal?!?!

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by acillatem, Jan 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acillatem

acillatem Registered Member

Just went to renew my license, and at checkout, there was sales tax. I live in california, but that is beside the point.....I'm renewing a licenses, not buying a tangible item that will arrive on my doorstep. It's not that much money, but it's the principle of the thing. I don't see how it can be legal. Anyone have an explanation for this, or know where I can get a promo code or something to offset it, because it doesn't seem right.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I recently bought a new (used) car and had to pay sales tax on the dealers $300 documentation fee. Was I ~ Snipped as per TOS ~.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 4, 2010
  3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

It's legal alright, although a call to Arnold may get you a break.;) :D

4. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

Ooops, sorry about that.

5. acillatem

Haha, that's funny! I was talking with my wife, and when I stopped and really thought about it, they are selling you a program, eventhough you are downloading it. I bought a 2 year renewal, but the first email thanks me for my product purchase, and it says this for the description:
    ESET NOD32 Antivirus 4 Home Edition, Renewal 2 year, 2-User, Download Version - No Box Shipment. Free Technical Support

And under options it says this:
    Keep Username, Renewal License

The next email thanks me renewing my license, so there is some gray area there, but whatever, no big deal, I guess. Just seemed wrong at the moment.

6. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I asked ESET, LLC's business intelligence systems employees about this, and they told me that sales tax is collected on renewal licenses in the state of California.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

7. Rmuffler

Rmuffler Former Eset Moderator

A little more research may shed more light on this subject. The little I understand on this topic is that a company must tax the residents who are purchasing from the same State that the company resides in. Our North American office is in California and that requires Californian customers to pay sales tax upon purchase. Residents from other states are also required to pay sales tax but they must handle the payment of those taxes to the government on their own. Feel free to research to find a correct and credible source. I hope this has helped answer your question.

Thank you,
    Richard

8. acillatem

Thanks! No biggie, just seemed a little odd at the time.

9. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Arnold said, "No Problamo" I vill fix dee economy in Caleefornia. o_O

10. jamesdav

jamesdav Registered Member

I'm a reseller and am in no way a tax expert but we don't charge our customers sales tax on ESET renewals. Check this doc from CA BOE web site:

http://www.boe.ca.gov/pdf/pub119.pdf

See heading at the end of page 1: Optional software maintenance agreements

11. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

If you would like, you can call ESET, LLC's office toll free at +1 (866) 343-3738 and check on the terms under which sales tax is collected with ESET's accounting department. That is really not something we are qualified to handle on the technical support forum.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.