Safest and most functional browser

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Seishin, Sep 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

That's new to me, or do you mean the Widgets in Opera?

2. Cerxes

Cerxes Registered Member

Widget.jpg

Well, it sounds to me as it´s the same security "problem" that Opera users should be aware of, since it´s no more the closed version 8.54...But there is hope, you can as in Firefox/Thunderbird, close the installation possibility by changing it to a "false" statement. Do this by typing: "about:config", then search for "extensions/Plugins", and then uncheck. I think it´s the right line, but better confirm with some Opera expert...

Regards, C.

3. yankinNcrankin

yankinNcrankin Registered Member

I think FireFox is the best browser provided you are careful as to which extensions you install. Its actually the extensions and plug-InS' that create the main problems of security breeching not the browser itself. I can say this through actuall experience as I intentionally go to malicious websites for Security testing, "real life uncontrolled situations". I have surfed a many BAD sites just with FireFox alone with no plug ins or extensions and had no real problems. Its when java is enabled and I go to a site thats no good is when I get trouble, or I have some extension installed that never bothered to check itself for security holes, then I get problems. So far as a browser, Fire Fox in itself is just the BEST most functional browser out ! :thumb: :D

4. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

One way to tell which browser is the safest is to go to Secuna and see which browser has the most security alerts. And it won't be Opera. And as far as Widgets go, I don't use them anyway. Opera is and has been the most secure browser for years.

5. Arup

Arup Guest

Opera rules, works flawlessly as a browser, news reader and mail client and that too for free, has the least security issues,is the fastest, also the fastest to be patched, works reliably in both XP32 and 64 versions and has been the browser of my choice since version 2x. Best off all,now its free.

6. tlu

tlu Guest

I think you're mixing up some things. It's not so much Java (although it had some security leaks, too) but rather Javascript that has been susceptible to various attacks in the past. JS is enabled in Firefox by default; you can disable it, of course, but that means that a lot of websites will not properly load. The best way to control this is by using the extension Noscript which blocks JS (and Java and Flash and other plugins if you check these marks - and you should definitely do this!) by default. But you can enable JS for trusted sites and Noscript will remember your decisions. This way all trusted websites will load without any problems while any active content is blocked for all other sites. - I wouldn't surf without Noscript any more. It's simply excellent!

7. OAKside

OAKside Registered Member

My thoughts exactly. Firefox with NoScript (and AdBlock for annoyances) is my preferred browser. I recommend Firefox 2.0 RC 2 which was made official by Mozilla last week. It adds even more protection, is perfectly stable for many and it . . . looks great?! :p

I don't have much experience with Opera but I have used it, if I had to ditch FF I would go Opera 9. Probably more secure 'out of the box' with a great UI and loads of web compliance.

8. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Ok
    Firefox Can be locked down with a couple of good extensions
    OR
    Opera: not used it :saving it up just in case ;) does Opera update itself and any "extensions as easy as FF?

LOL as long as it's not IE: isn't that the point of this.

9. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

That is indeed the short version of this thread. :D

10. diginsight

diginsight Security Expert

But what if you install Maxthon on top of IE :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.