SafeSpace Personal Edition

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Tidyup, Oct 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi Kris,

Liking it on my noteboook so decided to install on my desktop. But facing the following issue with firefox:

Note: I have my profiles folder on a seperate partition (D drive).

Internet explorer is fine.

2. Is there anyway to reset/restore default rules, if you accidently modify the default tab? Cheers

Attached Files:

2. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Yes - in the SafeSpace console, if you click on the logo in the top left corner there is an option to 'Restore Factory Defaults'.

When you refer to your profile, do you mean your Windows user profile, or your Firefox profile?

Best regards,

Kris.

3. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

What is the difference with Bufferzone ?
    Seems the same idea.

As far as I can tell, BZ has been developed for a longer time and automatically puts email attachments in it's secure zone.
    I believe Safespace has no security for email threats ?

I'm looking for a virtualization/sandbox soft myself and just want to know why choose Safespace? what are the advantages if any? o_O

4. zhanwest

zhanwest Registered Member

FYI, SafeSpace Personal Edition is free for home use

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, coen99:

Comparison between BufferZone and SafeSpace ? One thing I am so sure is this:

BT's driver is called redlight.sys Just Google it to see what it reveals. That info will make your jaws dropped. As for SafeSpace , no reports of this nature just yet. Take care.

6. coen99

coen99 Registered Member

Oops :eek:
    Any info on Safespace handling email attachements ?

7. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Hi, I'm new here.

After I installed this proggie, I couldn't use Total Commander.

TC starts alright but the right and left fields are empty, and the rest of the interface is somewhat scrambled.

What could it be?

Windows XP Home, need more?

After disabeling Safespace, it still didn't work so I had to uninstall it. Pity....

8. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hi coen99

You can right click any saved attachment and 'Enable SafeSpace Protection', so when it is opened, it is forced into SafeSpace.

Regards,

Kris.

9. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hi Yoda.

We are looking into this, and will provide a fix in the next release.

Regards,

Kris.

10. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Thank you for your fast reply. Looking forward for the fix :D

11. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Firefox Profile - Thanks

12. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Just wanted to say that I have been using SafeSpace for the past 4 days under Vista and everything has been pretty smooth. Very nice. Congrats.

13. Zombini

Zombini Registered Member

This looks a lot like GreenBorder only with a Red border. The average user will not know the difference. Some of the differences you have cited are so technical there is no way for you to differentiate as no one will understand. Sorry, good idea, too late.:thumbd:

14. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi All

To Zombini, a smart answer. Only thing is, GreenBorder no longer here and SafeSpace is free unlike the former Greenborder.

Seems a pretty clear difference to me. And whats in a colour.

Terry

15. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

That's the problem with places like this really. We pretend to care about security and say we want to learn. But when push comes to shove, what people really concentrate on are things that are easy to understand , which might not map to what is really important.

Take the concept of leak tests , the basic idea is very simple to understand , that is why people are so focused on it. But what about differences in inbound filtering? No-one talks about it, they think passing GRC's shield's up is all that is needed... Why? Because understanding differences in inbound protection is more *technical*.

So in the end we end up clamouring for features that are easy to explain and understand, but might not be that important.....

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Then why come to this forum? It´s pretty obvious that most of us are no true experts with a lot of technical know-how, we´re just a bit fascinated with security tools and like to test and play with them (on our level), I don´t see what the problem exactly is? And I´m waiting for your response in the CMG thread.

On topic:

At the moment SafeSpace is not really that interesting to me, because for now I have chosen not to use virtualization as a realtime protection tool, and that´s because of the extra overhead, especially when starting apps. But from a technical point of view it does seem to be impressive, I wonder if it offers even more protection/isolation than Sandboxie.

17. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

You haven't tried GeSWall or Defensewall :)

18. dogma

dogma Registered Member

If I apply 'Full Control' to my Firefox profile (under Privacy tab) will Safespace protect my system from any exploits through the Firefox cache?

@ Rasheed - I hardly notice any difference, in speed, whilst opening virtualised applications in Safespace.

19. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

SafeSpace is still too buggy for my tastes. I think it has a cool GUI, but it takes forever to load up and Windows Explorer likes to crash while using it.

20. LUSHER

LUSHER Registered Member

You miss the point, It's not the lack of technical knowhow that borthers me.

Right now you are pretending that you dont' really care about security, but you just want to play with the tests

But fact, is most of the time you *say* that you want the build the strongest security possible, you constantly look for more and more features that can block mroe and more tests in a never ending quest for greater security (whatever that means). I don't have to quote you on your HIPS crusades I trust?

But then you can't turn around and say "I don't care about the technical details". But how do you know if what you have is really more secure if you don't care about the technical details? Run some blackbox test by some guy?

How do you know the difference if the test you ran really *did* something. Sure any "test" can pop up something saying "You are vulnerable to buffer overflow", but did it really test that?

I wonder if from a technical pov if it is indeed impressive. :)

Dismissing the advantage of a security program as "too technical" seems to me that one isn't really looking for more real security but rather one wants to feel safe (whether one actually is or not).

Just cos you don't understand something , doesn't mean it is not important, conversely just cos you understand something, doesn't mean that detail is!

Same with just running test....

21. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

i've never had any problems with safespace : crashes, bluescreens, etc.. the only suggestion i can give the devs is to try and reduces the resource usage. safespace uses like 40-70 megs of ram on my pc, this normally wouldn't be a problem but my laptop only has 512megs of ram. :D

22. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Hi,ZopZop, can you use SafeSpace with Returnil activated?

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi all,

Strange so many problems were reported with safespace. The update of my work (selected freeware) recommended this program. Prerequisites are that programs are freeware, easy to use, no nagware or beta and are available on both XP 32 and Vista 32.

Novice:
    - AV Avast (only freeware offering teh full package with fast updates)
    - Firewall (Windows standard behind a hardware FW)
    - Other: ThreatFire

Advanced
    - AV Avast
    - Firewall Webroot firewall (for additional outbound protection)
    - ThreatFire
    - SafeSpace personal (for dodgy browsing)

Off course with a decent hardware FW (router with Nat + SPI) and seperate harddisk (a Maxtor one touch) with freeware image backup Maxxblast. Router + Backup disk are provided (for freee) when signing a contract to take sufficient precautions against malware (otherwise you won't get your VPN on your laptop to work at home).

This is not my setup, so do not start arguing with me. I know that those programs scored high on a (on-going) test with ease of use and defense strength as criteria (besides the criteria mentoned above). I know there was a footnote (when OA free was available on Vista32 also it would have won).

Because I have a different setup I always have to choose access from a public computer with limited rights (only e-mail no access to directories) in stead of the full access when accessing work from a private PC at home.

Regards Kees

24. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

i wouldn't know ;) i uninstalled returnil to test safespace. i don't push my luck with too much security software running at the same time. i'm just paranoid that way.

25. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

I have tested SafeSpace and Returnil, and they do co-exist well (with a bit of configuration to accomodate the virtual share in Returnil).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.