SafeSpace- my impressions

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by aigle, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Just installed and uninstalled,SS don't like my rig seems,after completing install and reboot default app. screen shows empty,lower right side of screen shows connected.After uninstall and reinstall and at subsequent reboot BSOD,boot now to last known good config. after opening SS get message "" not connected ""
    After trying several times still not connected and a popup with message-SS cannot continue because of program error-Rebooted several times but no go,then uninstall/reinstall again but still same errors. So this is one of the rare instances for me that an install failed with no apparent reason.
    Not any mention on their webside and forum about this problem,so i am unique or extremely stupid.

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I put it back on a pc after their latest updates and can find no issues. No slow down or high CPU usage.

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Great ! Nice for you.

4. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Huupi

I would think that the SafeSpace guys would be keen to solve your issues as it might affect others. Why not post details at their forum and see what they come up with?

Just a suggestion :)

We all are !

I doubt that very much :D

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, Thanks for ur notice!

IMO smooth operation of a sandbox is as important as its defence.
    I will love to have the options:

- To purge the registry only, but not the files, on session closure
    - To have separate manual purge options for registry and files

Can u add these?

Thanks

6. twofiftyfive

twofiftyfive Registered Member

Hi aigle,

Thanks for your feature requests.

One of the original motivations behind SafeSpace was to provide a product that required minimal or no user configuration to appeal to a broad audience. However we do acknowledge that the more technically minded would like to have access to advanced configuration options and where there has been a compelling reason we have done so, for example the Manage Exclusions feature in the latest version.

We would like to understand where you feel purging registry or file manually would be useful. We'd appreciate if you could give us an example of where this feature would be of help to yourself?

Regards,

John.
    Artificial Dynamics

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I would like to purge regitrsy automatically on session end but not the files. REason: As many of these files i will like to retrieve/ keep on my system as some of them might be useful/ created intentionally by me. This is not the case with registry. I will like the registry to disappear automatically at the session end as I don,t need it in any case.

I don,t want to retrieve/ keep some files manually each time before a session ends, otherwise I will loose them. I will rather like the files to stay as long as I want and to purge them when I feel to get rid of them( except the one needed).

I think the basic feature must be there but not implemented. I agree with ur motivation. In that case, such features can be added to an Advanced Options tab for power users. Let me know if I have misunderstood something.

Also a browser for Virtual files created is necessary IMO and I have seen this request already by some other member here.

Finally, let me say that smooth sailing is the feature that is most important for survival of such a product.

8. twofiftyfive

twofiftyfive Registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for the info. From your request and other feedback from various sources we are now considering having two modes of operation for the SafeSpace User Interface in the future. A basic mode for the majority of users, and an advanced mode to cater for the more technical users.
    We'd like to thank you again for your feedback and all suggestions on how to improve SafeSpace are always appreciated.

Regards,

John.
    Artificial Dynamics

9. trjam

trjam Registered Member

that is what they call, Good customer service. I salute you.;)

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Thanks a lot! Keep default settings very simpple.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

this is one application that really doesnt get a lot of recognition around here, I think I know why, but I have changed my "If I could only have one app what would it be," to this one.

This really is currenty the most simplistic way to secure your web browser and email. There are some things that need adjusting, but for me how in the heck can you turn away from a product like this that is also free. Maybe one day, barriers will come down and more will see this.

12. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

At least for today. ;).

Later...

13. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

I'm with you 100% on this one trjam. I've been using SafeSpace for a few months now and this latest release is very smooth. Yes, it uses a little memory, and yes it may slow down browsing a little (although not for me so far), but as you rightly say, for a free product it's superb. I much prefer this to the beloved SandboxIE - I find it easier to configure, much nicer to look at and easier to use. I'm in no way saying SandboxIE is a bad product (it clearly isn't) - I just sometimes wonder how SafeSpace seems to get so overlooked.

With SandboxIE I would often accidentally delete files - my fault for not configuring it correctly, I know - but with SS the downloaded file is clearly marked with a red square (XP) or a red icon (Vista). I've never accidentally deleted a downloaded SS file.

SafeSpaced applications are clearly marked with a coloured border (not a tiny # that can easily be missed) similar to Geswall if I remember correctly.

Perhaps if it used less memory then more people would use it? I have no idea. To me it's simply a few mouse clicks and you're configured and off you go. With SandboxIE I was always wondering if I had configured it correctly/well enough.

I'm sure SafeSpace was tested here a while back and it did pretty well against some nasties, yet still it seems to go relatively unnoticed.

Well, I'm perfectly happy with it for now - it's never let me down once so far. I feel safe with it.

14. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

the tip off is in other posts, where the first question is not how secure is it, but how light is it. SafeSpace is many things. light is not one of them (btw, i am a very satisfied SafeSpace user). it's combination of Policy and Container virtualization is for me a perfect combination. my only want would be for application level Policy permissions. i suspect AD is working on it, but my suspicion is that it will be implemented in the upcoming commercial release and not the free version.

Mike

15. simmikie

simmikie Registered Member

again i am agreeing. Comodo FW when i used it to access the Comodo forum, it launched an un-SafeSpaced browser, and when i did not see my border (i changed mine to be a couple of shades lighter than my default Windows color. it is noticeable, without being glaring) i immediately shut that browser instance down. do not like being on the www without Safespace! :eek:

Mike

16. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

The thing is that SafeSpace seems to be a lot heavier than Sandboxie, and while SBIE seems to be working just fine with other HIPS installed, SS is acting strangely on some of my machines. Of course I will keep my eye on it, because it does have a lot of potential. :)

17. trjam

trjam Registered Member

It is different for all. I find it lighter and more responsive. Using it with Prevx CSI and it feels good.

18. glentrino2duo

glentrino2duo Registered Member

first of, please do not tell me to try it so I should see for myself... :D

does safespace act like an outbound firewall the same way sandboxie does with the following settings?

ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\RawIp
    ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\Ip*
    ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\Tcp*
    ClosedFilePath=!firefox.exe,\Device\Afd*

i like this SBIE settings though I wish you could specify at least two for each sandbox, e.g. like when you a download manager...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.