SafeSpace 2.0 RC

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Tidyup, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hello all.

We will shortly be releasing a new version of SafeSpace. This version includes several enhancements to the virtualization engine architecture, along with some bug fixes.

If you would like the opportunity to 'beta' test this new release before we make it available on the public download sites, please see my post on the Artificial Dynamics forums here:

http://forums.artificialdynamics.co.uk/messages.aspx?TopicID=92

I would like to advise that this release does not include any new features as such, and should operate and behave as the current release. The changes in version 2.0 give us a platform for other features in future versions.

Best regards,

Kris.

Artificial Dynamics.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. Killtek

Killtek Registered Member

Woohooo. I'm there...

3. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

So far, quite nice.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Very nice. Might try it.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  5. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Hi Chris

I'm getting constant errors here - Windows services stopping working on Vista SP1. Windows Search protocol, Acronis Schduler, Windows Error Reporting - constantly coming up since installing the new beta. Ininstalled the previous version, obviously, rebooted, installed the beta, rebooted - then the problems started. It's literally impossible to use my machine for a couple of minutes without a WIndows message telling me that services and programs have stopped working. Threatfire has now come up literally as I write - that it has stopped working. Comodo Firewall has now stopped running, too. It seems to be shutting down everything on my machine.

Thankfully I've got a drive image as backup, but this version does not like my machine.

Look forward to the new version when it's ready. :thumb:

6. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I was getting errors like cant read memory pop ups after installing. And this was for other applications, some as simple as Disk Cleaner. Took it off and installed the current and still issues. Thanks for EAZ-FIX. But hang in there Tidy, I know in the end the bugs will get flushed.

7. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hi mrfargoreed and trjam.

Please can you PM me details about your configuration settings, and a list of any other security software you are running on the affected machines?

Best regards,

Kris.

8. Trespasser

The only problem I had was after I installed 2.0 RC a program I used called Weather Watcher immediately stopped working. A pop up message from Windows, also. Had to uninstall.

I'm running Vista SP1, and Windows Defender. No other security application.

Other than that, seems fine. Also, I think the configuration panel opens up faster.

Also, the Support Page in the link provided by Tidyup does not list the 2.0 RC in the Product Version selection.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2008
  9. Trespasser

TidyUp,
    At present I'm using IE7 instead of my usual Firefox.

10. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hello all.

I have updated the link on our forum (below) with a new version of SafeSpace - version 2.0.41.0, which should fix the problem of applications and processes suddenly terminating. This was down to a clash with Threatfire.

http://forums.artificialdynamics.co.uk/messages.aspx?TopicID=92

Please can you give this new version a try to ensure that the issues you were experiencing have been resolved.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Best regards,

Kris.

11. trjam

trjam Registered Member

will do and thanks. I am ready for some simplification in my life.

12. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi

I think SafeSpace is a nice piece of software but I do have some issues with it. I will post these on their forum also but here are my findings.

1. Touchpad does not work, Synaptics. I tried their solution but I still cannot scroll up/down. This is with the new RC and the last live version.

2. BF2. I know its a game but a fun one at that. Whenever I try to start the game it never starts. I get the loading screen, hear the CDrom pumping away but just dies. I think it has to do with the CD rom drive, punkbuster etc. At first, I didn't think it was safespace but when I un-installed it, the game works, when I re-installed it no go.

3. Minor niggle but the loading of the browser is slow. After the initial load its fine. This I can live with. SafeSpace needs to setup its sandboxed environment etc.

Other than that, the deveolpers did a great job fixing the Threatfire issue with services stopping. I think if I can get the first 2 issues fixed, I would use this program.

Al

13. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Try excluding PunkbstrA and PunklbstrB (when showing in taskmanager) from virtualisation.

14. IceCube1010

IceCube1010 Registered Member

Hi Kees

I'm not an expert at SafeSpace but do you add the exclusions in the Manage exclusions thats located on the top left of the initial SafeSpace window? I think I tried adding them to the safespace application tab and gave them full rights but that didn't work.

Al

15. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have seen someone say that SafeSpace prevents a screenshot being taken of anything that is inside of SS. Is this referring to a screenshot with a picture taken like with Gadwin Printscreen? Or is "screenshot" referring to something different in this case? Also, if I have a password saved in SS, can I copy and paste it from within the SS and use it outside of SS? I would assume this would prevent a keylogger from retrieving the password.

16. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hello Caspian.

SafeSpace will prevent any application running inside SafeSpace from capturing screenshots of any other application window, or the desktop. It does not stop any application which is outside from taking screenshots.

You can use the clipboard as normal to copy and paste into / out of applications in SafeSpace.

Best regards,

Kris.

Artificial Dynamics.

17. mhallerman

mhallerman Registered Member

Kris,

Hello. Any update on availability of the utility or capability to track/list all files created by SafeSpace on the pc for total removal of these? I believe you had said there was something coming down the pike on this...

Thanks,
    Mark.

18. mhallerman

Kris - Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Mark.

19. caspian

caspian Registered Member

So if there is a screenshot program that is outside of SS, it can take screenshots of what I am doing *inside* of SS?

20. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Yes, that is correct.

SafeSpace is protecting your computer from whats inside the sandbox. It is not protecting the contents of the sandbox from your computer.

21. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Sorry for the late reply. It's been a busy couple of weeks. I will post it on our forum some time tomorrow.

22. mhallerman

Sounds good, thanks Kris....

Mark.

23. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

24. mhallerman

Thanks Kris - posting here too - not sure where you wouyld prefer it :)

That's great - the utility...I would think a very important thing to add is a switch to delete the file/folder it finds as it enumerates through the system - that was one of my ultimate goals. Also, integration into the GUI would be very nice.

On another front - I have SS running on my space XP notebook, but for the life of me when installed on my Vista Ultimate 32 bit notebook, can't get FireFox to work reliably - it crashes when run or when a page is loaded, when run in SS, like 8 out of 10 times. I have had to keep reverting my system back to a pre SS image because of that behaviour on this pc and would love to move it to SS....

Any ideas for me?

Thanks very much,
    Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.