SafeSpace 1.2.107.0 now available

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Tidyup, Nov 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

I am pleased to announce the availability of SafeSpace Personal Edition 1.2.107.0.

You can download it from our website:
    http://www.artificialdynamics.com/content/products/register-personal.aspx

Release notes for this version can be found here:
    http://forums.artificialdynamics.com/messages.aspx?TopicID=23

Once again, thank you to everyone who has provided feedback on SafeSpace. Your comments, as always, are greatly appreciated. Keep up the good work :)

SafeSpace is completely free for personal use, so give it a try today!

Best Regards,

Kris.

Artificial Dynamics.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  2. Old Monk

Old Monk Registered Member

Hi Kris

Excellent news.

Nice to see you have the forum up and running. :thumb:

3. Yoda1953

Yoda1953 Registered Member

Thanks, the issue with Total Commander is solved :D

Edit:Passed all aklt25 tests except screenshot 1.

Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  4. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Thanks Tidyup

One question about Firefox:

My Profiles folder is on a separate hard drive. I've given the Profiles folder Full Control and it seems to be running ok. I just wonder is this ok? Or should the folder be set to Read Only?

Running very nicely so far on my machine. Getting used to SafeSpace and liking it more and more.

Many thanks

5. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

Great concept and interface:thumb:

For purely browsing,possibly would be favored of the six or so virtual apps. I've used , major reasons being the ability to enable/disable without rebooting and the degree of control.

No installation problems and no obvious conflicts.

My main use of virtuals are for software testing and here things aren't so hot.

For example d/loaded Admuncher and installed virtually,but couldnt call back for trial licence approval.

Finally installed,which means start program entries are made-but none in Program Files,no file shows up.

The end result is that the app can be used only once-as soon as you shut it down thats it-the start entry is non functional.

All this no doubt is because of the complete locking,virtual or otherwise of Program Files etc.

However,in Returnil,a virtual file is downloaded which can be used until Returnil is disabled.

Am I overlooking something?

Am also having problems with general sluggishness, for example when disabling.( would it be an idea for the word "Disabled "to show instead of just a color change?) and freezing on occasions such as when minimising to tray.

My computer is powerful.

Best of luck with the product.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Safespace or any SandBox is not for software testing infcat. Use VM or shadow products like Returnil for that.

7. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hello mrfargoreed.

You *can* set your Firefox profile to read-only, and you *should* be able to use it for casual browsing, but it is not recommended as some components may fail if they cannot write to a file in there.

If you do not wish to keep any changes in your browsing session, you would be better off setting your profile to Virtual. This would still allow components to write (virtually), and your real profile data would remain unaffected.

Best regards,

Kris.

Artificial Dynamics.

8. Hairy Coo

Pity-back to Returnil:mad:

9. mrfargoreed

mrfargoreed Registered Member

Thanks for the advice Tidyup. I will give this a try and see if everything works ok. :thumb:

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You will run into issues testing with Returnil, like if a program needs a reboot after install. Aigle is right.

11. Hairy Coo

Agreed-the rebooting issue wrecks those particular tests.

12. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi Kris

Good news :thumb: Will install it soon. Shame it's only available on download.com :(

Edit Just found it on softpedia from where I've downloaded it at 500KiB/sec :thumb:. softpedia still states that it's in beta.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2007
  13. dogma

dogma Registered Member

I was under the impression that the issue with the scroll button (synaptic touch pad) would be resolved with this release?

14. Sportscubs1272

Sportscubs1272 Registered Member

I was wondering how to disable the center display screen? It has the big circular icon and has the credits rolling down. :D

15. passerby

passerby Registered Member

Hi, I installed it in my laptop and now my laptop's bootup time has significantly increased. Tried to uninstall it, but after restart, safespace was still there, loaded into the system tray, still sandboxing my firefox as I typed.. I checked in add/remove program, it's gone.. Anybody else got this problem?

16. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Hi passerby

Try executing the installer again, it should offer you an option to remove. Otherwise I would try a reinstall reboot and uninstall via add/remove.

17. passerby

Hi dogma,

Tried executing the installer again, but there are no choice of 'remove' program. Tried re-installing as well, but the installer generated this error:
    Internal Error 2753, SafeSpace.InitialConfigGenerator.exe

Help please... anyone? :(

18. Hairy Coo

A problem with left over files from the unsuccessful uninstal,possibly because SafeSpace was running whilst uninstal was attempted .

Try going into Safe Mode,making sure SafeSpace isnt running by opening the TaskManager and killing it completely(all running traces),then reinstal/uninstal a fresh exe.

If still no success,you will have to manually remove all SafeSpace files and registry entries,which can be tricky.

Try this searcher for locating entries.
    http://www.uku.fi/~jmhuttun/english/softwares.shtml.

and also Regedit,under "Find"

If you are feeling adventurous,just deleting the left over files(program Files/SafeSpace )might work,but make sure it isnt running,prior to reinstal/uninstal.

Then pray:)

Then use a cleaner like CC to do a cleanup.

Edit; Download this in any case,as it has an option under Tools-Startup of permanently stopping apps from autostarting.,which means you could still use SafeSpace but only on demand.

If you have a backup app,run this first

Last edited: Nov 24, 2007
  19. passerby

Thanks there Hairy Coo, I've fixed the problem, seems like a broken installer case. I downloaded the installer again, and it was able to install safespace. Tried removing it, and this time, it was successful.

Hopefully the slow boot up thing will be fixed in the next releases.. For now, I'm back to Geswall free...

20. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Yup the Totalcommander issue is solved. :thumb: I´ve been running it for a couple of days now. Cant provoke any issues anymore. This seems like a good build.

21. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

The version on Softpedia is listed as 1.2.107.0, but it is still giving you version 1.2.77.0. Neither are a Beta. I advise you not to use Softpedia.com to get SafeSpace (for the time being).

Download.com may be a slow download speed, but they are reliable and prompt. We are however looking at other download methods. I will keep you updated.

22. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hi Passerby.

I'll PM you to see if we can get this issue resolved.

Best regards,

Kris.

23. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

TiddyUp,

I have got a strange question.

Would it be possible to unhide the Windows and Application data in the Exclusion Editor. Reason for asking I would like to configure Safespace personal in three modes.

1. Limited File (only very critical OS-files) and Registry virtualisation, so SafeSpace would reduce the admin rights mode vulnerability in normal operation

2. Normal mode (currently virtualising Windows and Program Files)

3. High protection (only allowing to save files in a specified directory)

Operation modes 2 and 3 are possible with SafeSpace, only one is not. With these three modes SafeSpace would be a soft sandbox (like HauteSecure), a virtualisation sandbox (like SandboxIE) and disk virtualisation like PowerShadow (without the inconvieniance of having to re-boot).

Regards Kees

24. Tidyup

Tidyup Registered Member

Hello Kees.

The entries for Program Files and Windows are locked because SafeSpace automatically treats everything *not* in this list as Private. So for example, if Windows was removed, it would automatically be protected as a Private folder, and would cause your protected applications to become unstable.

However it is possible to do what you want to do. I will PM you to give you assistance.

Best regards,

Kris.

25. dogma

dogma Registered Member

Possible conflict with Adobe Reader 8

I'm experiencing really high CPU usage with Adobe Reader 8, between 50 and 60% on a core2duo processor. Possible conflict?

P.S. There is no way I'm going to ditch adobe reader. I've had undesirable experience from alternatives when it comes to printing pdf files. Creating and printing pdf files is really important in my line of work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.