Safe'N'Sec Review

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SDS909, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Yes he did, and well, the mind boggles....

Blue

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Blue

You know I guess I am trying to sort out what these different programs do, and sometimes there is overlap and language. All the Internet Explorer stuff that prevx stops is really registry protection, and Regdefend can prevent that and thus I suspect so can SNS. Would just like it spelled out a bit. From my Emails with Dimitri and Konstantin, one thing that is really interesting is the use of the TOTAL setting. They told me about the only time you'd use it is if you machine is infected. That does offer an interesting aspect. If you've tried it you know your machine can't do squat that you don't know about it.

Something I mentioned to them and it relates to the ease of use of say SNS vs PG for the new comer. Say the new comer just uses AOL(don't laugh) and IE for browsing. IF he installs PG and goes into learning mode, reboots, goes on line opens the browser, and then exits and reboots turning of PG learning mode, and from then on PG won't bother him. But when he installs SNS he has to answer all the challenges as it comes up. No brainer for us but... Then when he goes online AOL which installs a service will again cause a challenge he has to respond to. Again no brainer for me, because I know what is going on and that it is okay. But for the newcomer this poses questions he never see's with PG in learning mode.

I would frankly rate both programs about the same in terms of ease of use.

One big change I'd like to see is for them to let the system get up and stable before bugging me about the key. I turn stuff off for install, but want it back on before going online. The install does become a bit of a circus.

I look forward to their getting the hang ups fixed and on this I wait and will work with them. You wouldn't believe what I went thru when PG 1.3 came out. It was crash city. Now stable as a rock.

Pete

3. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

One thing it DOES do Blue is it does NOT poll as we know polling . RD overlap .

4. BlueZannetti

@ Peter2150:

I guess I view the learning mode as a double edged sword. PG in learning mode automatically passes applications. This is great if you're clean, bad if you're not. In our hands, it's no real issue, we generally know the difference. In the mass market, I don't know. SNS doesn't have leaning mode, but it does have the three control levels. A question, to which I don't know the answer - if you put the SNS control level into Trusting, and you use you PC, and then put it into Strict mode, is this somewhat equivalent to leaning mode (i.e. do the applications run in Trusting mode show up in the partially trusted/restricted list of applications as they are run)?

The lack of something akin to a learning mode is a gap between the two programs. However, with respect to PG, the response of many casual users to being presented with a screen that has entries like "Block Global Hooks" or "Secure Message Handling" will be the sudden appearance of a vein in their forehead followed by a reach to the medicine or liquor cabinets. I'm not talking about the users who frequent Wilders, even those who may feel they are neophytes. They've already understood the need for some further education, are looking into their options, and have a support group here to appeal for help. I'm talking about the mass market - the one's that may come to us when their PC seems "a bit slow" and when we show up it appears as though the complete KL line-up of viruses and trojans are not only present, but are installed and running, on their PC. These folks need some platform to assist them, and SNS looks like it could (let me emphasize that qualifier - this program is very young in the open market) be a somewhat better option for them. Right now, it's less clear for someone like myself, but I comeback to my analogy with the firewall market. Some users want a very granular and customizable control of their PC's communications, and are willing to devote the time to learn how to accomplish this. Although I could go that route and learn a lot in the process, my own objectives are very modest - I just want to control communications going out based on application, without a lot of learning required on my part. That's it and for this niche of the market, application based firewalls are the answer. They can do a lot more than I want, which is great since there is a continuum of desires between where I sit and the world of complete rule based communications control.

Thus far, I've had to answer half a dozen requests from SNS regarding application launches and follow-up behaviour. It is akin to PG, but I basically answer yes/no with SNS, there is no addiitonal customization possible. PG can be run like this also, so the operational differences may indeed be very minor. For the mass market, limited customeization can be a benefit. Ultimately, with either product, some user interaction is required.

@ hollywood pc:

Right, there does appear to be overlap with RegDefend, the extent of that overlap is not clear at time. What is clear is the customization possible with RD and the virtual absence of that aspect with SNS. Again, for the mass market, I believe that minimal technical detail is an advantage.

I certainly would not direct a casual user to SNS yet. As the issues encountered by the posters here suggest, extensive field testing still needs to be done. I take the support group's rapid responses as indicative that StarForce realizes the need for the field test wringing out of SNS.

Thus far, I've spent a little under $30 and a few hours of my time. Right now I have no complaints. The AV coverage option is a nice feature for those contamplating secondary AV coverage - painless incorporation of a decent demand only scanner

SNS has potential. Of the three products mentioned above (SNS, PG, RD), only PG is at what could be considered a stable state, the others rremain works-in-progress.

Blue

5. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I've so far not had any troubles with 1.1 build, however its obvious some people are having issues.

So far I enjoy it more than PG or PrevX because it is slicker and lighter, and just doesn't bug me unless its something malicious. Another thing I LOVE is the strict setting for it. I tested it today on a infected PC, set it to strict, and it stopped, blocked, and purged the infestation.

That to me is an extremely nice feature - the ability to totally lockdown your PC with a click, and block anything and everything you don't want. That said, I think it won't be long before they iron out the issues a few people are having and get it up to speed. So far it has huge potential imho, and as Blue said, I LOVE the backup on-demand AV engine in it.

6. BlueZannetti

I agree, TOTAL control is a nice facet of the operation. Effectively a temporary, user controlled application-based isolation/quarantine of the entire PC. Exactly what seems to be called for in todays environment when a nasty infection is a potential.

The documentation could use further elaboration - I know I'd like additional details regarding what is going on in the background - but this is a very minor complaint.

Blue

7. twig

twig Guest

I would like to see email scanning as an option for the virus scanner. It could be an optional choice at set up for those who do not want it.
    Some thing that isnt spoken about so far , is the ability of SnS to tune into unknown and future malware/virus/ trojan in addition to that which has been really well enumerated by Blue. This is something that sets SnS apart from PG and RG . Something that i would like to know more about.

8. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

uninstalled 1.00 (trial) and installed 1.1 (trial) . No hassles at all . Working real well .

9. BlueZannetti

Since e-mail scanning is a realtime component, I wouldn't expect that to appear unless the nature of the AV module changed. In the current climate, it may be less important also as many ISP's are now scanning e-mail at the server level. This feature isn't universal, but it is widely available.

The other aspect of SNS that differs from PG/RD is the licensing model. This is a pure subscription based service. As noted in the license agreement:
    There is nothing wrong with this business model, however potential users should be aware of this distinction is assessing their options. The program is also too new for StarForce to have fully considered renewal pricing strategies. Presumably the renewal price is some reasonable fraction of initial cost. If you use AV programs as a model, 1/2 to 2/3's of the initial cost would be a reasonable supposition, placing the renewal cost at $15-20/yr.

Blue

10. rav1

rav1 Guest

There is only one problem with SNS- it doesn't protects against buffer overflow attacks as said on Star-Force site.

11. BlueZannetti

I wasn't aware that Star Force had made such a claim. Could you provide a direct link? Thanks.

Blue

12. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Hi Blue,

Naturally I contact the technical support ;-) Konstantin has send me the following response this morning concerning the fact that SnS doesn't want to start on my system :

" Try to disable all your security programs when you are trying to install Safe’n’Sec. If you worry about the security holes – you can disconnect the network and activate Safe’n’Sec after the reboot."

The only problem is that I have already try that with no more successo_O

Atomas31

13. Peter2150

Hi Atomas31

I can't get 1.1 to run on my system either. They are aware and looking at it.

Pete

14. rav1

rav1 Guest

http://www.star-force.com/computer_security/security.phtml?c=245&id=569#2

"Safe'n'Sec effectively protects computers against hacker attacks that exploit vulnerabilities existing in the Windows OS and sophisticated software to break the system integrity, access user data, execute malicious code, etc.". The WinOS vulnerabilities are buffer overflow vulnerabilities ONLY. And SNS doesn't protects aganst it.

15. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

I did email them about renewal policies after the first year and they said that it would be around 30% of the initial purchase price.
    So for the full version you would be looking at around 25 bucks.

16. Atomas31

Atomas31 Registered Member

Concerning the buffer overflow from what the technical support of SnS indicated to me is that right now SnS doesn't actively protect agains Buffer overflow but will in a near future. They intent to develop protection against Buffer overflow in SnS and that in a near future.

Thanks Peter, I am happy to hear that I am not alone with that problem with version 1.1 ;-)

17. BlueZannetti

Atomas31 & Peter2150,

Sounds like this is a problem for the vendor to mull over. Hope they come up with a decent analysis and resolution.

Blue

18. BlueZannetti

19. BlueZannetti

Nitrox,

30% off the initial purchase price, correct? Let's see, $25 (Cdn) ~ $20 (US). Not bad. Naturally users would have to weigh this as an on-going cost vs. the straight purchase (with possible upgrade costs) of other solutions.

Blue

20. rav1

rav1 Guest

You see, the main point is that priviledge evaluation vulnerabilities mostly are not used, because most people use accounts with administrative privileges.

Near future? Ha-ha-ha. SNS main developer is came to SmartLine. So, your "near future" is at least ONE YEAR.

21. BlueZannetti

rav1,

I don't wish this to develop into a flame fest, but if you wish to state "most pertinent" vulnerabilities, then do so. I gave one simple example. There are others beyond this one. You chose the plainly interpreted word "only" and chose to highlight it. As a simple matter of fact, the statement you made is not correct.

As to your point regarding safeguarding against buffer overflow vulnerabilities, you are correct at the present. As with any product, an assessment of robustness, fitness for specific usage, and whether to purchase should never be made based on features to be introduced at some point in the future.

Cheers,

Blue

22. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

The price would be $35 US at 30% off so it would be $25 US.
    For us Canadians it would be a little more than that, about $30 Canadian for the renewal.

23. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I installed 1.1 with no problems . And Pete . Just in case . You probably already know this but , if you use Prevx , be sure to shutdown the PXagent . If not , it WILL hang your system . And Blue . Good points , AS USUAL . I better go and cajole with this thing now .

24. Peter2150

I have also been playing with Prevx Pro. But when i play around with SnS I do a complete uninstall of Prevx.

In my case 1.1 will install, just after a reboot, I then can't get all the way up. I can go back and install 1.0 and it is fine. Just have the shutdown problem.

One difference I noticed is when I bought 1.0 it came in a zip file, and there were two installs. The AV was separate. 1.1 it is all in one file.

Just out of curiousity why don't Safe'n'Sec and Prevx play well together. Prevx plays okay with everything else I have, SnS 1.0 seemed to likewise.

Pete

25. BlueZannetti

Pete,

Must be my cajoling - mind you, it is in the privacy of my own home... :)

Your experience is somewhat the reverse of mine. On my initial attempt to install the "original" 1.1 version, the installation appeared to go fine but there was no launch of the activation procedure and any attempt to launch the SNS management console yielded nothing. I did see the safensec service running, but that was it. Numerous reboots yielded no change. It was as though the munged activation (if it even got so far as to be called munged) blocked the entire application except for an uninstall.

I uninstalled that version, and waited for the most recent release. I'm not sure of the version numbering system they're using, it is listed as version 1.1 under add/remove, the processes (using ProcessExplorer) yield version 2.00.0000.0105. This install went fine with the activation process launching as it should. Since that time it has been stable. I have WG/PG/RD/BOclean/NOD32 running. Firewall is Outpost Pro. I have many of the applications you list (TDS3, Port Explorer, Cryptosuite, Giant AS, Webroot Spysweeper), but I use them on demand only - no realtime components are active. I don't have Zone Alarm or First Defense-ISR running, nor have I used Spywareblaster. So, a number of commonalities, but many differences also.

This isn't a case of where you've run up against the limit of 5 activations is it? Ignore precisely what version was installed. Has the total number exceeded 5? Just wondering in the event there's a bit of a problem in this implementation.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.