Safe'N'Sec Review

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SDS909, Mar 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

The new version or Prevx will protect against adware and spyware . This version we have now does not .

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Perhaps its a conflict with Nod or PC internet patroll ? There have only been 2 kav products that I found ran comfortably for me and that was the earlier Kav lite and the latest kav2006 beta. The last is by far lite years ahead in speed and lightness to earlier versions of Kav for me.

3. lynchknot

lynchknot Registered Member

4. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Thats odd Lynch. Are you running in total lockdown or strict mode? Wonder why the hell explorer is trying to edit SafeNSec files?!?!?

I'd send an email off to: hotline@star-force.com

Along with screenshots, and let us know what they say!

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

I installed the trial version of SNS, but I couldn't get it to run on my XP machine. Funny thing is that when I re-booted, ProcessGuard detected changes in my ZoneAlarm, OSA, and Nero exe's. I gave them permission to run, but it was surprising. Anyone run into the same situation? Any explanation? I subsequently uninstalled SNS. I would think that Safeforce needs a support forum if it is going to compete with programs such as RegDefend and PG.

Rich

6. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Block CTFMON from network acces.
    The rest is ok.
    Explorer will try to modify many apps [like in Jetico you keep seeing weird popups.]
    it's your "LANGUAGE BAR" from IE/Office.
    I have uninstalled it :D :D
    Too much of a nuisance... always starts up.

7. solarpowered candle

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi solar,

Thanks for the reply. If I try to re-install the product in the future, I will definitely take down some of the security products but I am reluctant to do so at this time. Particularly since the first install affected ZoneAlarm (and other products) in such a way that PG thought that they were modified. I have no idea what the guys at SnS are doing, so I will patiently watch as it matures. Its something about these products from Russia (like KAV 5.0) that they end up causing more problems than they solve.

Cya,
    Rich

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Rich

So far my impression is it is a pretty good product. Certainly the load it imposes is light. Prevx was like an anchor on my system. I've found what may be a bug, but they have responded immediately. I see it as a good overlap filling in a few holes. Also I had absolutely no install issues including with zone alarm.

Pete

10. lynchknot

This does not seem to be working. There are no popups - even when installing an app. I have it set to strict and enabled. If I set to total, then I get many pops.

**edit - I think this thing is causing problems. I have not been able to terminate anything and I cannot uninstall this app nor can I terminate under any method

http://img211.exs.cx/img211/1888/unin3dj.jpg

so I go the the application's folder and click the uninstall.exe - nothing happens. I then try to kill that task and it can't be killed as well

http://img198.exs.cx/img198/778/goaway8wr.jpg

11. Peter2150

I have found once in Total mode the thing hangs up. I have also found what may be a bug in that I can't log off. I've already contact tech support and they are looking into it. They also told me that Strict mode should be the main mode, and only use Total if are infected. It is running fine for me, I just have to disable right now prior to reboot.

12. lynchknot

I was not in total mode. I just want to get rid of it or whatever is causing the problems. I suppose i'll try safe mode.

**edit - it worked - app is gone, desktop back to normal

13. lynchknot

I was wrong. Many apps will not start. The exe shows in taskmanager but apps won't open - also can't terminate them as well. I've got more problems - add/remove does not respond after clicking "remove" - I suppose this is for another thread or i'll try a tech board.

14. hollywoodpc

Are you sure you are not running PG ? If not , for some reason , there is a conflict between SafenSec and something else . Wish I could help

15. lynchknot

When did I say I was not running PG? What do you mean by, "are you sure"? I know what PG is and it's components. Thanks for trying though - :)

I can't even end the add/remove screen. I click the kill button and nothing happens - it won't even minimize

16. hollywoodpc

Excuse me . I was only asking if you were using it . Did not mean to cause a problem . Oh well ....

17. lynchknot

Please don't take wrong way. I did not feel you were patronizing so I did not post in reaction. I was just saying....and I added smilie. BTW, I don't have Safensec installed anymore but having these problems.

18. hollywoodpc

No problem and I understand

19. Peter2150

I have had no issues relative to ProcessGuard and Safe'n'Sec. As I said I do have to disable Safe'n'Sec before shutdown or it will hang my system. That my be what got you into trouble.

Pete

20. solarpowered candle

Its flowing well on my system .. running with PG safensec Kav6

21. hollywoodpc

same here with NOD as opposed to KAV

22. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Thanks for the help guys. I restored my system to a prior state using Image for DOS. I was sort of spooked when PG notified me that ZoneAlarm, osa.exe, and nerocheck.exe were all changed after I installed SnS and on top of that SnS wasn't working. RegDefend, by comparison, installed without a hitch. I have no idea what happened, but it is an unusal event so I just decided to play it safe. In general, I prefer installing products that have support forums here on Wilders so when funny stuff like this happens, I can get some quick feedback. I'll wait until the product matures a bit and then revisit.

Rich

23. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

Safe'n'Sec 1.1 is days away from release I hear, hopefully that will fix the problems with a few people having issues.

I'm running Safe with Dr.Web now, and it seems to exist fine together. I tried Arcavir as well, and it worked perfectly with that.

I think i'm moving to Safe'n'Sec as my secondary protection to my main antivirus, I like it being so light and easy, but retains strong protection. Their support has been great using that hotline email.

24. Peter2150

I agree that support is great. What is interesting to me and is a new wrinkle, I asked Konstantin about a "learning" if you moved the activity control to Total. He indicated back that you should almost always run at the Strict setting barring some unusual situation like already being infected.

That suggests this program might be very useful if you should already be infected. The caveat being to use this aspect, you would have to know what you are doing. Interesting....

Pete

25. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Just wondering - from anyone using Safe'N'Sec - is there any technical discussion of how they've implemented this product? Just wanted to get a sense of the direction it's coming from. Looks intriguing.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.