Safely Remove Hardware

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ErikAlbert, Sep 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

After re-installing my computer from scratch, I noticed a greenish icon in my system tray with the title "Safely Remove Hardware" and when I opened that icon, I saw all my harddisks :

1. Internal harddisk #1
    2. Internal harddisk #2
    3. External harddisk #3

All my harddisks are fine and working properly according Windows, PerfectDisk, chkdsk and my test tool.
    You don't have to explain me how to get rid of this icon, because I already know that.

I just don't understand why Windows is doing this to me. What is the real reason behind this icon ?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

I only see that icon when I have a usb thumb drive plugged in.

I click on it then select to stop the usb and a dialogue comes up "It's now safe to remove device" or something similar.

Don't really know if it's necessary but I do it just in case.Have forgotten to do it on occassion but it didn't seem to have any ill effects.

3. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

I have the icon there all the time.

I always use it when I have backed up something to my external hard drive. I left click the icon, then highlight my external drive, then it will tell me it's safe to remove it, in other words that windows has finished the transfer of data to the external and removing it will not result in any loss of info.

4. ErikAlbert

I also get this gray popup screen, when I restore an image with ShadowProtect, not always, but regularly :

I don't really care about that, but I don't understand it either, because nothing changed in my hardware, my computer is working fine and clean, even all Events Logs are clean.

5. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Do you have SATA hard drives? SATA is plug 'n' play I think so that why they show up.

For external disks, the icon is to help you safely turn it off. If the drive is in use for example, it will tell you that it cant be turned off at the time.

6. ErikAlbert

Yes I have SATA hard drives, but I don't use RAID. Windows calls them "Generic volumes" in that icon. Is that the reason ? I don't have to use RAID. Right ?

7. ErikAlbert

That is an acceptable reasonable explanation, I can understand. Thanks.

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Eric I think that they may be the virtual hard drives that Shadow Defender creates to store any changes on each partition.

When I trialled SD and restored from a ghost image prior to SD's install I got sort of the same thing.

If you show hidden folders they are named Diskto.sys or something similar.

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Also somewhere there is a setting for write caching. If you turn it off, the safe to remove icon may go away. Mine is actually there now. Not a big deal. What it prevents is turning off a disk before all the writes are complete.

10. newbino

newbino Registered Member

For your external HD to speed up uninstall you may want [from My Computer] to select:
    -> "HD name"
    -> Properties
    -> Hardware
    -> again "HD name"
    -> Criteria
    -> Optimize for fast unistall

if I have some understanding of how you work through reading your excellent posts, ErikAlbert, you'll probably test the speed of the HD data transcription with either option selected.

It might be interesting to know the results.
    ;)

11. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

I dont use RAID either and my SATA disk shows up in the Safely Remove Hardware box too.

12. ErikAlbert

OK. I will look into this, when I do my next daily backup. Thanks. :)

13. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Same here, Erik.
    On one machine, the first time I installed it, I didn't have them.
    Once I reinstalled, the safely remove crap showed up. Go figure. Why? I really don't know. Maybe some weird hardware change? The only difference is the partitions didn't exist the first time and they did the second.
    Mrk

14. ErikAlbert

Well I don't consider having other partitions as a hardware change.
    My computer tower has no changes since I bought it and I have only ONE computer. All my images are made with ShadowProtect on the same computer.
    I only bought an external harddisk and a printer later.
    I don't understand any of this either, it's not logical and very confusing.
    According that icon I have to remove my two internal harddisks, which are working fine since March 2006. That icon doesn't make sense at all, except for the external harddisk. Pffft.

Recently I got a warning in my Event Viewer, I look it up and Microsoft tells me as resolution : "You don't have to do anything."
    First they scare me and then they tell me it's nothing. I have better things to do. :rolleyes:

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's not telling you that you have to remove them. It's providing a way to dismount them so you could shut them down. Just it isn't smart enough to distinguish between internal and external drives.

ROFL. You should submit to PC Magazine's Abort Retry Fail section. It qualifies.

Pete

16. FadeAway

FadeAway Registered Member

Write caching to disk on/off is located in device manager.
    Right click each drive & it's located under properties.

My experience has been that turning it off really slows down
    any operation that requires extensive write operations.

It think you get the Safely Remove icon if you have any USB
    device, like a card reader, permanently connected.

17. ErikAlbert

Then you are in the same boat like me and it's a comfort to know, I'm not the only one. :)
    It's not really a problem, but it's confusing for harddisks inside the tower.

18. lodore

lodore Registered Member

try using safe remove to stop your OS partition:D
    it will say its busy atm and to try again later.
    but the other drives will safe remove fine as long as arent in use and havent got a paging file on them.
    lodore

19. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

I had my portion of write errors by manually disconnecting USB drives,so i always use now the safely remove icon.

20. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I get that same message all the time when i switch hard drives then plug in my assortment of USB Pens. I take it for granted that Windows is simply registering that particular hardware into it's internal database like a MRU or something, because i always clean my drives of temp clutter and useless logs, those being logs Windows writes to but never shows us. :shifty:

My USB Pens still show up and work OK anyway regardless of Windows suggestion to reboot and all that hoopla.

Same thing happens after changing CD/DVD Drives. It's a Windows hardware recognition thing.

I do know theres a simple setting someplace to prevent that message of "Now It's Safe To Remove" whenever using plug-ins, but ATM i forget just where in this mechanical telephone book exactly where. :blink:

21. ErikAlbert

Thanks everybody. I know now that :

- the green SRH-icon is harmless, even for internal harddisks
    - the grey popup menu is also harmless and happens only when I restore other images than my normal images.
    - I'm not alone with this psychotic behavior of Windows.

I can't express my real feelings, because this is a family forum, but I can live with it, now I know what it is. :rolleyes:
    Case closed.

22. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Properly configured, the "Safely Remove Hardware" will always be in the system tray. It is important. In '98 and "ME" it was essential, but XP attempts to unravel the damage of suddenly pulling hardware improperly. The little "bloop" sound you hear when you unplug is actually a warning or error sound. If you use the icon in the system tray to properly remove the hardware, you won't get that sound.

When you use the icon to prepare for the removal, it closes files and completes any pending activities with which the hardware is involved.

If your icon isn't in your system tray, somethings wrong.

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

24. ErikAlbert

I never had that problem. I turn ON/OFF my external harddisk, whenever I want. Of course I won't turn it OFF, when it is working, that is logical.

25. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.