SafeDisk

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by rexgrant, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rexgrant

rexgrant Registered Member

Hi all
    My first post.I have been discussing safedisk and I would like to be 100% sure what I have been finding out is fact.
    For people who do not know what safeDisc is.It is to protect producers software from been copied.and we would all agree that this is necessery,evan though it remove's the legal right of all customer to make one backup copy of their program or game.
    but here is the big worry Safedisc installs a driver onto your PC (Secdrv.sys) It also grant itself ring O access.This could allow trojan and other malware to use the driver to gain addministrator access to our PC's and it dose not set the security config appropriately.
    What I have just said as been cleaned from the net from reiable sites,does any members hear know about this or mabe explain ring O access.And once we have installed the program can we then remove the driver that may be a problem.
    Best regards
    Rex

2. ClassicQ

ClassicQ Guest

1. WSF isn't the best place to ask this question, while there are some members that would have the technical knowledge to answer your question -- it'd be equivalent to finding a needle in a haystack. No offense to anyone here, but generally this isn't within the scope of the resident knowledge base - WSF is more of an intermediate/beginner user base with a limited scope in regards to security.

2. Why really bother with anything more than a simple scheme?; what can be done, will be undone -- If someone wants the contents they will get it. Why go to such extreme measures and costs when resistance is futile?

Q

~removed un-necessary remark IAW our TOS....Bubba~

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2007
  3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    That driver is useless when you boot from CD and then manipulate the contents.
    Mrk

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Classicq

I have to strongly disagree with you about the level of expertise here. I see when you joined, don't know how long you've lurked on the forums, but there is quite a high level of expertise to be found here.

Rexgrant

I looked at this product and it didn't really fit me, but I wouldn't worry about the fact it installs a kernel level driver, most of the better security apps do. If the product fits you needs I'd give it a whirl. Just test it and see.

Pete

5. ClassicQ

ClassicQ Guest

We shall see. ;) At least we know you didn't provide any insight into the issue.

I'm ready to be amazed, but I of course won't be holding my breath.

BTW I've been around a long time --- long before 'karma cookies' --- I also had no idea one's DOJ [Date of Joining] carried any weight.

Q

6. mrhero

mrhero Registered Member

Safedisk, Securom, Starforce all is the product of same f..king minds. They can't
    protect softwares because talented crackers can beat them. They only cause headaches for legal users. Sometimes I use No-CD cracks for games which I've bought legally.

7. rexgrant

Hi Pete.
    Thank you for the reply.What had me concerned is when I read this:- see under Vulnerabilities
    www.en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeDisc
    Thank you to all who replied to my post
    Regards
    Rex

8. Peter2150

Arrg. My apologies. I was confusing it with a security product that protects against unwanted disk activity.

Relative to this lovely product, it is why I block any exe from running from either music or video products, and only run setups from CD's of trusted programs. That way they never get to install a driver.

Movies are notorious about wanting to install their own stuff. No way.

9. rexgrant

Hi again.
    Thank you for the reply I thought I may get that sort of responce It had me concerded ,I am now waiting for Macrivision Corperation to respond to my question.The producers of the program that I installed dont recomend me removeing the driver as they dont know of any case were the vulnerability as been exploited.
    Regards
    Rex

10. Peter2150

Gee, what a surprise they wouldn't want it removed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.