Safe mode scanning and running other on demand AV programs?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by quadrophonic, Feb 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

1) Can NOD32 run after a safe boot? I know Avast could (and I used to really like those Avast bootscans). Is there any possibility that NOD32 will incorporate a bootscan?

Is there any way to load the NOD32 program on a boot CD and let it recognize definition files that might be in a hard drive directory? Could I just copy the latest signature files to a CD along with the program itself? I haven't bought r-w CD's in awhile, but this would be worth it! This would enable me to attempt a scan at a dos prompt.

Has anyone tried adding NOD32 to the Ultimate Boot CD?

2) When I was running Avira, I had Bitdefender installed as a 2nd on demand scanner. In previous posts to the other AV software forums, I mentioned how I would close services and shutdown exe files in order to run one AV program or the other. Can the same be done with NOD32?

Even though I would shutdown the service of one AV program along with removing it's exe from startup, I noticed upon rebooting, using Process Explorer, that dll files from the program were still loading into Windows Explorer. I'm not sure if that would cause a conflict with NOD32 since the exe files and services wouldn't be running.

Does anyone have a 2nd AV program such as Avast, AVG, Bitdefender, or Avira PE Classic installed but not running (just as an added security option)?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , not as the one Avast can , but it is unnecessary . If NOD32 finds a threat loaded in memory it will be deleted upon next reboot (in another way)

Yes .

Do not play with the fire and don't do it . One AV like NOD32 is more than enough . You don't need to disable Services . If you really really want another AV opinion , run an online scanner , choose from here.

I have Ewido Micro scanner which you may wish to add . It is very good anti-trojan/anti-spy scanner which can be use for second opinion , just in case (http://download.ewido.net/ewido_micro.exe)

3. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I had always thought that the master boot record could only be thoroughly scanned at startup.

Thanks but I've stated in other threads my feeling about online scans. It's one thing to open a port and download updates (probably enabling the AV program manufacturer to grab some info at their leisure), but it's quite another to let an online scanner get a record of every file on your computer.

What do you think about the Multi A-V program? I've used it in the past.

http://www.ik-cs.com/v2/got-a-virus.htm

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

David Lipman , the creater and owner of that program , is someone who is very knowledgable when it comes to computer malware . So the program is very good to use :thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.