Safe-mail \ comments please

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by snowy, Jul 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowy

snowy Guest

I am in need of a safe e mail account...although I rarely use e mail (perhaps 20 times in the past two years) still for reasons of business...an those few personal notes sent....I could use an e mail account........so I came across this one....which I briefly used when registering here:

http://safe-mail.net

at the time I used it..(less than one hour) I notice 17 connections to port 443....the connections appeared to be associated with the features offered by the safe mail account.....however, because the safe mail "home" is in a war torn country...frankly I am leery....walking on the side of caution......also, leery that an account may drew the attention of the busy-bodies who monitor e mails.....
    any comments regarding this free e mail would be greatly appreciate. I just connected with comcast an if their tech support can't get me in to the e mail account comcast provides,,,,,plus..major bad plus....research is showing comcast to be a very suspected internet provider...in fact..soon as possible I will close the account.

Snowman

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

Hi snowman! All "snowy" again, eh? I know everyone dislikes Yahoo but you can get a free, 6MB, secure e-mail account with them. I have one. When you do your profile, uncheck everything connected with advertising. You can set the Mode to Secure. I have had no problems with it. You can use this link to sign up.

http://login.yahoo.com/config/mail

(I'll test the link too. It works!) Hope this helps you. :)

3. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hi Prince :)

FYI yahoo uses webbugs with its mails ....

May I suggest a really secure account online free 5 Mo :
    ziplip

https://www.ziplip.com/services/index.html

Emails are encrypted, you may gife a different pwd to each mail, automaticaly delete mails after 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, etc... blacklist, etc...
    And your IP does not appear by the recipient.

A free alternative (with PGP key) is Mailvault
    https://ssl.mailvault.com/mailvault.php

Rgds,

JacK

4. snowy

snowy Guest

Prince

thankya for responding.....Jack is correct about the web bugs....although thats not an issue with me cause I manage to block them.......actually I once had an account with <yahoo>...it wasn't so bad except it did hammer my pop account....that is not an issue either now cause I can't use my pop account LOL heck let it store up!!! oh..the <yahoo homepage is a blank on my computer....but can "see" <yahoo> other sites....kinda tells you something huh

JACK

an a thank you to you also for the response.....e mail has always been my biggest problem....would lorv to have just one decent account.....like a normal person LOL
    I will check every url offered.....a big thanks to all

snowman

5. Prince_Serendip

Thank You JacK! I now have a ZipLip account. Snowman, their purpose and philosophy are right up your street. I can see that this would be very useful to you! And, to me. I'll keep my Yahoo account for general mail purposes. The ZipLip is something I've wanted for a long time. Thanks again!

6. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hello;

I don't know which one of these possibilities is best, Ziplip or Vaultmail.

Both of them use strong encryption (128 b) during connection, but it seems to me that Vaultmail uses 2048 b encryption for the preliminary exchange of key (during the preliminary asymetric key procedure). During this preliminary phase, Ziplip seems to be using only 1024 b encryption.

This difference might stem from the countries or states in which these two mail servers respectively reside ?! It seems that, as regards encryption laws, legislations do vary a lot from one place to another.

Other than that, Ziplip seems more 'user-friendly'.

So I don't know which might be the best choice.

Crockett :eek:

7. snowy

snowy Guest

hey folks....seems I have a problem.....I get a mostly blank page at the zipmail site.......does anyone know whats need......perhaps java.....activeX........both are shut down on my machine.............suggestion kindly please

snowman

8. snowy

snowy Guest

tryed and tryed but can get anything but a blank page at zipmail.....even put it in the trusted zone with java enabled...still no go.........just goes to show how computers can be have vastly differant settings...gosh I thought I gave zipmail free passage LOL

as for the other...mailvault.....could not locate the cost for the service........not really interested anyway in mailvault,,,,I can install a vault myself for free...if I had an e mail account...lol

snowman

9. Prince_Serendip

That's weird, snowman. I have Active X disabled but Java enabled. I have no problem seeing the ziplip screens. Ziplip is free up to a point. You can have mail attachments up to 500Kb, but over that there are costs. They do not disparage their freebie customers, seeing that as the best (word of mouth) advertising. The freebie customers therefore are welcomed and given top-notch service. I checked Mailvault. You get a free trial account, like shareware. Decided against it for that reason. Snowman, I hope you can get your settings figured out!

I had wanted to applaud JacK. Maybe Forum Admin can do that? Suppose JacK will have to make up to 100 posts though.

10. snowy

snowy Guest

Prince

I have continue trying to no avail......the registration page just shows almost totally blank........tryed changed setting etc.........removed proxy...all a no go. so...don't know what else to try........may think of something later.

snowman

the concept of safe mail seems okay but with all the problems in the country of the server I am just not comfortable using safe mail.

11. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi;

Try the Ziplip page with Active-x disabled, Java disabled (non-necessary), but Javascript enabled. I can't remember (don't think so) if cookies are required.

Then look for mention 'Secure Services'.

Crockett :)

12. snowman

snowman Guest

Crockett

tryed your suggestion (thanks) ...still wont load...
    whenever this sort of thing happens I begin to wonder....something on that website is being blocked....what I don't know....but if its being blocked maybe it should be.......o_O?

well much as I dislike it...it looks like I wont have an e mail account for awhile.........will continue looking......

snowman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.