Safe Free Email for Online Payment Processors?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by lawnfree, Apr 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lawnfree

lawnfree Registered Member

Hi, I'm in need of a safe/free email option to use with the likes of paypal,moneybookers and other online payment processors.

As I understand it, during signup you gotta provide email and to this email ppl can send you money etc...

Yahoo's problem is no secure connection except the login and I think if I would be sending money to/from paypal for example, I would need that security.

Google has secure connection but I dont even like google's stance on privacy on searches let alone trusting it with my email.

Hushmail free version you gotta login every 3 weeks, obviously inpractical...

Any tips what email you're using for these type of online payments processors? Don't get why can't they offer email on their own or do payments from their sites...Am I missing smth here?

2. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

How about hotmail? or live?

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Is it really important ?

For as far as Paypal is concerned, the safe way is to log in to your Paypal account, and send/receive from there. Don´t assume you have received money because it says so in an email account/message, always check your Paypal account. If you pay by Paypal in an online shop, and you are not directed to your Paypal account, but are asked to pay at the shop itself, always check the certificates ! (Personally I don´t like to do that, it seems less safe than logging in to your Paypal account and taking things from there).

´Yahoo's problem is no secure connection except the login´.
    Do you need that secure connection ? Is the email very confidential ? I don´t think many webmail services offer it. I´m not sure if Hotmail (I use it for that purpose) or Live or whatever it´s called these days offers that security.
    You should never fully trust the email system.

I would not recommend Hushmail for Paypal, they might freeze your account ...

4. R3XNebular

R3XNebular Registered Member

Hotmail only has secure when login as well.

5. jonw

jonw Registered Member

Personally I stick to lavabit they have secure everything while on your email, there free account is ok but for 16 bucks a year you get 8gb's of storage and they even encrypt your emails stored on the server. There webmail is kinda basic no fancy features like gmail but I use thunderbird so I don't care. My only complaint is when you email someone they can pull your true ip through the headers but since I use xerobank it don't matter to me. Xeromail is better but that only comes with xerobank, overall lavabit is a great email provider with good security features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.