Safe for online banking?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vinnyutd6899, Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinnyutd6899

vinnyutd6899 Registered Member

My setup is it Safe enough for online banking? and everyday internet browsing?

Microsoft security essentials
    Windows 7 firewall
    D-link Dir-615 router firewall.
    Rapport
    Firefox (Adblock plus)

Ccleaner
    Malwarebytes
    Superantispyware
    Spywareblaster.

2. Capp

Capp Registered Member

Doesn't necessarily matter what you have on your system. Just make sure your banks online services are secure.

Most of the time this means the URL starts with HTTPS and you'll see the gold padlock in the status bar of your browser.

Something else you can do in firefox, go to your banks webpage, right-click anywhere on the page and click "View Page Info", then click the Security tab at the top. This will tell you the encryption strength and whatnot about the site.

3. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Do what I do.. Use MS Windows for your online gaming etc, and use Linux Ubuntu for Netbanking. I would never trust Windows for Netbanking.

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

You don't need to use different OSes. That's just dumb. All you need to do is make sure the page(s) your using are secure. On top of that, make sure you have a very good firewall, preferably one that does DLL authentication to make suer nothing has inbound or outbound access that you don't want (keyloggers, malware, etc).

5. Capp

Capp Registered Member

I do all my banking online, pay all my bills online, manage loans, etc.. All online and I use Windows and Firefox.

As I said above, Just make sure the website is secure and you are fine.

6. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

That's your opinion and IMHO, its not smart at all to use MS Windows for Netbanking. I would only use Linux for all my Netbanking, CC transactions etc. To use windows for CC and netbanking is just plain risky and dumb. With Linux you don't have to worry about keyloggers, malware, rootkits, trojans etc.

7. n8chavez

That's why I recommend virtualization.

8. TheMozart

TheMozart Former Poster

Nothing is going to be more secure than dual booting windows and linux. Virtualization windows as a guest and Linux as host is OK, but other way around is not as secure as dual booting directly into Linux for Netbanking etc.

9. n8chavez

What I mean by virtualization is not using guest account, but rather using Sandboxie, Shadow Defender, or even VirtualBox.

10. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

I'm using Windows 7 Pro, fully patched, MSE, Prevx 3 w/Safeonline, Keyscrambler, Firefox with adblock and noscript, and Sandboxie. And a router/firewall.
    Almost no learning curve either.

Another option would be to use Defensewall if you are using 32 bit operating system. It has a Banking/shopping feature.
    Good luck.
    Hugger

11. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

SB would be oke with strict rules but Virt. box and ShadowDefender not at all,they are only write protecting but anything can read and log by somebody who need your personal data.

12. n8chavez

I understand that. SBIE is the gold standard for me. But, I was refering to what I mean by the term virtualization, that it is not simply using a guest account.

13. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Yes. :) Rapport will afford a very good level of protection in the unlikely event you get a nasty infection. The trick of course is not to get infected in the first place as well as applying common sense to not get phished. If you fall for a phishing scam SBIE, DW, virtualisation and dual booting Linux ain't gonna help you.

14. n8chavez

That's true. But I assume that Firefox is like Opera in that it has the ability to verify connection security and protect against phishing attacks. With Opera all you need to do if left click the right part of the address bar. But you're right, a little caution can be a good thing.

15. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

A bigger threat probably lies in DNS hijacking. I wonder what many people would do if their browser showed an SSL certificate error - press proceed?

16. n8chavez

This is also a good point. I use OpenDNS myself. I have yet to evaluate Google DNS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.