Safe download sites

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by dicksmith, Jul 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dicksmith

dicksmith Registered Member

Hello Everyone, quite often on these forums I read posters saying they have downloaded an antivirus or antispyware software from a random internet site or from a file sharing site then wonder why they start having pc problems and why their new software is not working as it should. All two often it is easier to blame the software. If you are going to download any software stick to reputable sites such as download.com, or Major geeks.com. At least you know the item you are about to download, has been checked spyware free.

2. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

no,

if your going to download anything regarding a security product, ALWAYS get it from the vendors website.

majorgeeks / download.com etc are reputable websites, but i recommend them for non-security products.

3. eBBox

eBBox Registered Member

I have never read that on wilders :rolleyes: But yes, of course its best to download from trustworthy sites instead of rapidshare or torrentsites etc. ;)

4. noway

noway Registered Member

Also, check that the version you have downloaded is the latest version. Don't assume that download.com (especially!!) has the latest version, even if they are referred from the antivirus web site.

5. dicksmith

dicksmith Registered Member

I am of course referring to newbies and the computer inexperienced, not experienced pc users and experts, when I say downloaded software randomly. There has been a few posts on here where some posters have explained where they have actually downloaded their software from. Some are very suspect sites. So I thought a pointer to more reputable sites may be of some help to them.

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I've experienced at least one download from download.com that was not safe.

A few more from Majorgeeks !

7. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

IMO, another good site for safe downloads is FileHippo.com because they post the MD5 Checksum on each program's Technical Tab for verification purposes.

And using winMd5Sum Portable from PortableApps.com makes it even sweeter!

8. Seer

Seer Registered Member

otoh, I have rarely seen an "unsafe" warez. Depends on what you consider to be "safe".

9. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

How do these sites verify that safe products have been submitted for listing?

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Never Assume something Is safe even from a vendors site though most time it is.Assumption Is the mother of all F Ups.

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Exactly, there is no place for assumption in security. But we can Assume this thread's conclusion at least -
    Never Assume, always use precaution.

12. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

You can try HashTab (just right click on a file and select properties) to speed up checking checksum. ;)

13. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Thank you for the link, TheTOM_SK. Works great!

14. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

One place I like, primarily for games but they do have some other useful stuff, is CFS (Completely Free Software). Obviously you want to scan any download yourself while and/or after downloading, but they've so far done a great job of keeping a "clean ship".

One thing I like in particular is that their weekly newsletter (as well as the full description on-site) includes warnings if the game includes adware or nagware, and whether or not that can be removed and still permit the game to play properly. And if it can, often there's info on how to do it, sometimes no more than an additional program which comes out neatly via add-remove.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.