safe boot

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by beethoven, Feb 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I would like to boot up in safe mode to remove some software. Seems that the usual procedure using F8 before windows starts (xp) does not work. Would that be due to F-ISR running? I don't want to use a snapshot but just boot up in safe mode - should I disable F_ISR for this purpose or is there a better way?

2. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

Try using this.

thanatos

3. beethoven

thanks but I don't want to install another program just for this purpose. I was hoping that I can switch into safe mode despite using F_ISR or if necessary will disable it for this purpose.

4. thanatos_theos

thanatos_theos Registered Member

It's free and portable/standalone.

thanatos

5. USAAlone

USAAlone Registered Member

Hi,

You can put safe mode access in your boot.ini file.
    Find out from an expert what safe mode switch is.
    Paste it in your boot.ini save it back to the root directory of your C drive.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Safe Mode" /fastdetect /safeboot:minimal /sos /bootlog

Daniel

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have no trouble booting to safe mode using F8. FDISR isn't the problem.

Pete

7. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

I also have never had problems booting to Safe Mode with FD on my system.

Acadia

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

You could always do start-run-msconfig- ok and choose boot.ini tab.

select safeboot and restart when prompted.

After your work in safe mode reopen msconfig and untick safeboot, now you will be prompted and will boot back into normal mode.

9. Carver

Carver Registered Member

If you have a wireless keyboard(like I do) you can't use the arrow keys to navigate the page so F-8 is useless to me. I have to initiate Safe Boot as you suggest.

10. beethoven

thanks everyone - as some of you already mentioned, the problem was not with F_ISR. I now managed to boot into safe mode using the normal F8 procedure. Not sure why it did not work before, guess I was not hitting the key at the exact right moment. Seems this is always a bit tricky:doubt:

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

Using the BootSafe app is a breeze. In certain computers, it's tricky to press F8 at the right moment.

12. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

I find you have to press the keys quickly,intermittently and continuously,not just a dab:)

13. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

It can't ger easier than this :D (for lazy people like me :D)
    bootsafe.png

14. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I used that app before nice one in a pinch.

Refusing to boot into SAFE MODE can stem from everything like keyboard to apps to other quirks, some are unexplainable just as you mentioned.

I still sometimes have to reboot twice to 3 times occasionally just to enter the GUI and press the START WINDOWS NORMALLY just to get up there.

15. NonSuch

NonSuch Registered Member

Please note that using a program like Bootsafe and/or selecting safeboot in msconfig both carry the very real risk of sending the system into an endless loop if the system, for any reason, cannot boot into safe mode. In other words, if a problem exists, perhaps as a result of changes made by malware, that will not allow your system to boot into safe mode and you have made changes that instruct it to boot into safe mode and therefore prevent it from booting into normal mode, the system, unable to reboot into either safe mode or normal mode, will just keep rebooting... again and again.

It is possible to make system changes that will provide a safe boot option, as noted by USAAlone. However, it is only safe to make such changes if you understand exactly what needs to be done and how to go about doing it. (Do not attempt to do this by copying the example in USAAlone's post. That's only an example). If you don't have the expertise to do this, then you should seek help from someone who does have that expertise. To do otherwise can easily result in a system that is no more than a very expensive paperweight.

16. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Also note:

All is not hopeless in such situation regardless of cause.

There are boot discs, some are free, others not, but they can easily enter the affected system which can not boot loading that O/S in itself and thus allow for examination of file system, registry, access to other tools such as system restore from the parallel CD/DVD disk. I read many users like BartPE, personally i use WinInternals ERDCommander to investigate a system where entry to one or either is obstructed.

Just something to keep in mind, where theres a will (determination + program) theres a way (results).

17. NonSuch

NonSuch Registered Member

I agree. However, it is an extremely unpleasant situation in which to find oneself, and one that's better avoided if at all possible. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.