Running XP firewall with other software firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Creekside Rogue, Jul 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Creekside Rogue

Creekside Rogue Registered Member

It may sound like a stupid question, but I've read of some posters on this forum using XP firewall with other software firewall. I've always read that one should not do this. Is there any point to running more than one firewall at the same, and if you do what problems/conflicts/issues can happen to your computer? I have several firewalls at my disposal I could try to use with XP: Zone Alarm Pro 4.5, LooknStop 2.5 and 1.04, Kerio 2.1.5, and Sygate 5.5 free edition.
    Thanks in advance for the help.

Creekside Rogue

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

It is not a good idea to run any two firewalls together. They will fight each other for your pc's resources and can cause a slow down or can cause worse problems. You can usually run two antivirus programs together if one is on demand only but it just won't work with firewalls the same way.

3. BlitzenZeus

BlitzenZeus Security Expert

Having two software firewalls is considered a problem, however the XP firewall is one of most compatable software firewalls to run along side others. If you want to run both at the same time, do remeber you need to configure both firewalls which can be highly annoying.

Merely having two 3rd party software firewalls installed can cause problems on a system.

4. Snook

Snook Registered Member

Running two software firewalls is a big no no. Too much potential for conflict. Maybe not noticable in the begining and may also defeat one another. I find running a hardware firewall in conjunction with software firewall causes me no problems.

5. meneer

meneer Registered Member

Disable the XP firewall, or at least don't enable it, when using another firewallproduct. Symantec even mentioned this regarding their Anti Worm solution (okay, not a firewall, but acting at the same level): http://www.betanews.com/article/1089347478

In this article Microsoft mentions that the XP firewall is not completely comparable to others.

6. zcv

zcv Registered Member

Symantec is one of those that will not tolerate ICF.

I have run ICF w/ ZAP and then Sygate w/ no problems - two years :)

Regards - Charles

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.