Running with two software firewalls

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by dcrowe0050, Sep 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Re: is your PC more secure with 2 hardware firewalls or 1 is fine

Hey guys I know your talking about hardware firewalls but i have a software question. I have been using the Windows Firewall With Advanced Security and recently installed Kaspersky IS 2010 which also has a firewall. They have both been running for a couple of days and I have had no conflicts with them but I have always thought or heard that running two software firewalls is not good. The Kaspersky FW, as far as I can tell, is just for application control. It is barely even configurable. I was wandering if I should disable one of them to be safe or if they are fine running together and why? Thanks.

2. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

FYI - I split your post out of the "2 hardware firewalls" thread because this is a very different question.

Generally speaking, I recommend not running two software firewalls on the same system. But, mostly that refers to two third-party software firewall packages, such as using KIS with Zone Alarm or Outpost. In tests that I've done, I've not seen the Windows built-in firewall conflict with any third-party firewall package.

For myself though, I wouldn't keep the Windows firewall enabled if I installed a good third-party product, as I simply don't see a need for it.

3. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, in addition to this, usually when the user installs a 3rd party Firewall (my examples are Outpost and Online Armor), the install process disables the Windows Firewall automatically.

In the case of Online Armor, if the user disables it manually for whatever reason this tool also automatically turns Windows Firewall back on.

4. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

Thanks guys. The reason I have Windows Firewall still running is because it is a lot more configurable than Kaspersky and like I said Kaspersky is mostly an Application Control FW or at least that is the only configurable option in the KIS firewall. Does anyone know whether KIS firewall is good enough to wher I should keep using it or disable it. I know in their 2009 Security suite it offered no configurations to the firewall.

5. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Hope this relates to this topic.

I am currently running ZA Pro and I also got a free download of OA paid from the Gizmo offer just recently. Could I simply "disable" ZA Pro and install OA to see if I like it, or would I have to completely uninstall ZA Pro before installing OA?
    I'm just worried about conflicts with both firewalls installed at the same time.
    Thanks

6. Woody777

Woody777 Registered Member

You need to run either OnLine Armor or ZoneAlarm. I would uninstall one of them before trying to run the other. Running both of these firewall together could be disasterious I would not do it.

7. wideglide36

wideglide36 Registered Member

Thanks Woody,

I thought that I could just disable ZA Pro, to be able to test out OA Premium. I guess that's not good enough. Decisions, decisions............

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.