Running Windows write-protected?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by pwr, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwr

pwr Registered Member

Is is possible to run windows (XP) write-protected? As if it was a ROM image that was loaded at each bootup? I don't care about the downsides of such an endeavour, because I save all my work on another disk - and couldn't care less about what changes are saved to windows during each session (browsing history etc.) and it is also a nicce way to keep the system part of the "system" neat.

Is this a stupid idea, or have anyone tried this in any way?

Edit: I know about live cd's but they are horribly slow and have issues with "real work".

2. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Bootable Windows live CD a la BartPE or Ultimate Boot CD for Windows.
    I got a review if you like, check the sig.
    Mrk

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It's a real bad idea. You may discover you've locked yourself out of your system.

4. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Lots of people (myself included) use software like returnil or deepfreeze to achieve that goal. It makes my system clean and tidy at every boot.

5. pwr

pwr Registered Member

Could you tell a little about how that experiment has run? Have you experience anything "unusual" etc.?

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It not an experiment. I've run both Returnil and Shadowdefender. Basically once you turn them on everything you do is gone at reboot. Clean system. No nothing unusual.

Pete

7. raakii

raakii Registered Member

8. pwr

pwr Registered Member

Interesting =)

9. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

Th way to do that is run it from RAM like the recovery Windows mentioned.

Here is a paid solution way to run your own windows from RAM.

http://www.disklessangel.com/

10. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

use returnil it's free, when you boot up your computer, it boots normally. As soon as you don't want any changes made to your computer "enable" returnil, going from normal to "returnil enabled" happens instantly (no rebooting/ no loading software etc), once your in "returnil" nothing is written to your real "c" drive everything occurs in a "virtual c: drive" that looks and acts as a normal hard drive with no slowdown. Anything important that you need to save has to be saved on a different partition otherwise it will dissappear when you reboot.
    I have installed on all my computers and it is a rock-solid program. I usually only enable it when I log onto the internet, it's an excellent last line of defense in case something defeats your firewall/antivirus.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Returnil_Virtual_System_Personal_Edition_d5702.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.