Running Win98se and can't use Cyberhawk? - Try this

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by bahjan, May 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

2. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

I don't know enough to really say much about the program. To me, and I may be wrong, if your firewall can't stop a hacking activity, you've been hacked already. What will this program do to stop it? It may tell you what port the activity has invaded through but what then?

3. herbalist

herbalist Guest

This app is basically just a GUI for netstat, except that netstat has more options. You can get the exact same info on a 98 box by running netstat with these options: netstat -an I, substituting how often you want the data refreshed in seconds for I. If you want the data renewed every 3 seconds, enter netstat -an 3 in a DOS window or in "Run" on the start menu.
    Compare the 2 images. They're not from the same exact time, which is responsible for the differences.
    fire eyes.gif
    netstat.gif
    Fire Eyes also tries to connect out to 208.69.32.132 without asking and for no stated reason. On my test box, it crashed each time I permitted the connection.

Save your disk space. Win98 comes with tools that do everything this app does and more.
    Rick

4. Cold Pizza

Cold Pizza Guest

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

FireEyes can't really be considered a substitute for something like Cyberhawk - a better option would be the free version of System Safety Monitor which still works on Win9x/ME (note that the Pro version requires Win2k or later).

6. herbalist

herbalist Guest

Totally agree. SSM free is among the most powerful security apps that will run on 98. It's also very light on your systems resources, much lighter than most AVs. Combined with a good firewall like Kerio 2.1.5, (also free and very light) they're some of the best protection available for the older systems. Their one drawback is that they do require a fair amount of knowlege and skill from the user in order to get the maximum protection from them. If you plan on staying with a 98/ME system, they're worth learning.
    Rick

7. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Also couldn't agree more. Those are 2 most formidable apps that i have the great fortune of enjoying being compatible across the platforms with 98 AND XP Pro which is my set up.

I keep getting flogged over my continued insistance that $M should revisit 98/Me again not just for own delight or benefit but it would also help them to redeem at least some reputatation, that is is they have any left now after running headlong into that Vista craze & hype. Not only that but vendors (freeware & commercial) everywhere would be able to extend their markets themselves while $M would recoop some form of diginity. As it stands they already lost a huge global percentage over to the likes of Linux, AppleMac, Unbuntu etc. and the trend is still leaning in those O/S's favor IMO.

At any rate it's good to see there are still members who favor 98 still and take the time & effort to expand on it anyway that becomes available for them. I know i do. :)

8. poirot

poirot Registered Member

Who could ever disagree with Herbalist,Paranoid2000 and Easter2000?
    That's why i keep my first notebook (Compaq Armada 233mhz 160RAM) still alive for my pleasure (just to connect via dialup once a month) and i'm using 98SE (Text only-Firefox portable) with just Avast without WebShield,Kerio 2.1.5 which was always there,and SSM Free.
    It's still going fine.

9. bahjan

bahjan Registered Member

Thanks folks!

I thought posting would clear up queries I had about it:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.