Running Two AVs

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Mugwhamp, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Registered Member

I'm currently running NOD32 AMON along side F-Prot F-StopW resident monitors. Is there any danger in this to my pc? They seem to be getting along well.

2. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Although some people have stated before that they can run 2 AV Monitors together without any problems this is not recommended. There is a high chance of conflicts as they will be checking the same files.

I would highly recommend only running one of these AV's in Real Time and running the second one only as a backup on-demand secondary scanner. The choice of which one to run as your primary scanner is up to you.

I am sure most people here would offer you the same advice, even though these 2 AV's are very lightweight in system resource/memory usage.

One possibility is to run IMON of NOD as your email checker and then use F-Prot's RTM as your primary AV.

3. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi Blackcat,

If you did run IMON for email and F Prot as realtime, would it still not cause a clash.

If a virus e mail came in Imon would pop up and detect. Would not the realtime scanner also check the Imon checking the virus (if you know what I mean) and try and delete or deny access to the file at the same time?

Just wondered?

Best Wishes

Jlo

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I run NOD resident and use F-Prot on demand only. There is really no reason to run them both realtime. In fact, NOD tells you this while installing.

You will eliminate potential problems if you run the programs in this manner.

5. flyrfan111

flyrfan111 Registered Member

If you can run two differnet AV's real time monitors you may not have any problems until a virus is detected, that is where the problem will occur as both will be attempting to disinfect the virus at the same time which will cause a system lockup and loss of possibly critical files. That is why it is not recommended even if you CAN run two side by side without problems. If you really want the advantage of two engines running together I suggest using an AV designed for multiple engines such as F-Secure or Extendia.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm totally agree with you :)

7. Mugwhamp

Mugwhamp Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like a good option for me is to run the NOD AMON and just use my F-Prot as a backup on-demand scanner. Thanks again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.