Running Processes associated with McAfee AV AV :

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by yogishree, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yogishree

yogishree Registered Member

Hi Everyone ,

I am on a WIN ME (build 4.90.3000) system with McAfee AV (ver 8.0 , build 8.0.41., engine ver 4.4.00).

Through MSCONFIG I find the following 6 related programs alongwith Command Lines on the Startup List(reproduced exactly) :

1. MCUpdateExe : C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
    - Registry(Machine Run)
    2. Virus Scan On Line : "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
    - Registry(Machine Run)
    3. McAgentExe : C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\McAgent.exe
    - Registry(Machine Run)
    4. McVsRte : C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
    - Registry(Machine Service)
    5. McRegWiz : C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCREGWIZ.EXE /autorun
    - Registry(Machine Run)
    6. VSO Check Task : "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
    - Registry(Machine Run)

I am on a dial-up connection and feel that I do not require any of these programs running at StartUp & have accordingly tried to stop all these programs from running on boot but find that MCUpdateExe keeps on returning.

I would appreciate if someone could clarify the following :

a) is it usual to have 6 seemingly different programs being associated with one AV Program
    b) is it usual and/or necessary to have all these try to run at startup
    c) what is the significance of some of the command lines being under quotes i.e " "
    d) what is the significance of some of the command lines ending with a task after a front stroke.

I am a newbie and would be grateful if someone helps me on this and gives his comments on how to reduce resource utilisation on my ME as far as McAfee is concerned.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Some AV's start a lot of processes. Some only start 2. Don't mess with it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

3. yogishree

yogishree Registered Member

Hi diver ,

Initially my reaction was exactly the same but the tasklist at ANSWERSTHATWORK says the following;

1. McUpdate.exe - (McAfee – Network Associates) AutoUpdate & AutoUpgrade background utility task which comes with McAfee VirusScan 4.x. Its purpose is to automatically update your McAfee software with the latest virus updates and software updates whenever you connect to the Internet.
    Recommendation :
    Disable the AutoUpdate feature within McAfee VirusScan and make a point of regularly updating VirusScan manually. In our opinion there are too many problems with MCUPDATE to bother with it.

2.They are unsure about the other programs and recommend positively only about MCVSRTE . However they are very clear about MCUPDATE , as stated above,which is exactly the one which keeps on returning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.