Running nod32 as non-administrator

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by fran cook, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fran cook

fran cook Registered Member

I have installed nod32 and have been running as a non-administrator (power user). Nod32 is not updating the virus definitions and does not load the control process (green icon) in the system tray. I have looked through the forums and help file. The only thing I have found is eset's recommentation that users should not run as administrators for everyday use. Is there any way to setup a winxp system to automatically update virus definitions running as a non-administrator?

2. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Hello,

On a Windows XP - SP2 with 3 accounts :
    - 1 admin
    - 2 restricted users

With NOD32 3.0.642
    No problems at home and even if one of restricted users started their session, NOD32 automatically update virus signatures...

Fast user switching is fully supported... NOD 32 is fully functionnal on my config (updates, scanning, detection and all appropriated actions)
    Regards

NOTE : NOD 32 were installed with admin rights (via admin account). Configuration were done with admin account and no more configuration needed for other users...

3. Philippe_FR22

Philippe_FR22 Registered Member

Just thinking about something... Did you have a firewall ? Did you have all rules correctly set for NOD 32 ? (Including possibility to send mail, when you select mail notification ?)

Regards

4. Cosmo 203

Cosmo 203 Registered Member

Try to initiate a manual update from the admin account. After that NOD32 should update from whichever account your are logged in. But check in the task-planer-section of NOD32, if the relevant update tasks are activated and properly set. (They are by default, but maybe you have changed something?)

(NOD32 has some limitations by design for limited user accounts and at least partly their seem to be contra-productive, but the update-function is not affected by that.)

5. Eryan

Eryan Eset Staff Account

Hi, updates are handled by the ekrn service which is run with system privileges so that's probably not the issue. A firewall or some other method used to secure your system is the more likely culprit.

6. fran cook

fran cook Registered Member

I found the problem. Originally, I installed nod32 under a 'power user' profile. I used 'runas' --> 'administrator', and installed nod32 using the elevated privileges. With the 'power user' profile I used to originally install nod32, I can launch the application using the menu. ekrn.exe runs automatically, but the gui does not launch unless I manually launch it from the start-menu.

To fix this, I logged in as an administrator, uninstalled nod32, did a restart, then re-installed running as administrator. The original 'power user' profile still has something broken (probably left over from the original install).

Conclusion: Login as administrator before installing nod32. Thanks for the responses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.