Rules Question

Discussion in 'LnS English Forum' started by _0__0_, Jun 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _0__0_

_0__0_ Guest

I have downloaded the LnS trial and have difficulties to create the following rule:

Application xyz, allow outbound connection from local port 1024 -5000 to remote port 80 @ address z.

It seems to me that you cannot create such a detailed ruleset. Is this true? Or am I just unable to understand the LnS GUI? I can't figure out how to define local port(s) + remote port & remote address.

2. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

of course you can, Look'n'Stop provides an incredible control on your rules :)

You have to create a rule in the internet filtering tab first, with the details you said, local end remote port, protocole, etc... come again here if you don't understand how.
    On this rule click on the application button and choose the executable.

Then,

on the application tab double click on your application and specify again the remote information, remote IP and ports.

This double setting is not always needed, once a global rule has been created on the internet filtering tab which fits to many application, you just have to edit the application tabs/boxes.

Hope this help.

regards,

gkweb.

3. _0__0_

_0__0_ Guest

Thanks. Got it. (I was not used to the concept that a rule must be defined first in order to enroll an application for this rule).

Moreover, I appreciate that LnS allows you to create such a detailed ruleset. I also like the small footprint of this PFW. In addition, I was told that LnS operates at a very low level.

However, it still seems to me that it will take quite a long time to create a tight ruleset for my many many applications. Previously, I have used Kerio PFW and the learning mode allowed me to create a working ruleset in a more convenient manner. In addition, the learning mode helped me to determine which rules are actually required (e.g., I was told that my FTP client does not merely use port 21 since I tried to connect to an FTP server which runs on a different port).

4. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

Hi,

there is not indeed such learning mode in Look'n'Stop, for sure it would be a great addition :)
    May be if Frédéric read this topic he will take note :D

regards,

gkweb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.