Routers with backdoors ?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Fly, Jul 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  2. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

Hi Fly, what part of that article brought you to that conclusion? I don't see anything mentioned about "harware" backdoors. Again, I highly doubt any company would implement this due to increased costs. Software backdoors (what Open Source firmware would overwrite) wouldn't cost them anything in the long run.

In this situation, using DD-WRT would "protect" you.

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

The link mentioned a backdoor ?

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2007/012307-us-govt-wiretapping-laws-and.html
    mentions CALEA. In theory, some routers might be exempt, but would Cisco really sell routers to consumers without the aforementioned backdoor ?

I was also referring to the EULA/license agreement.
    I don't know it by heart, but it looked bad.
    Brief summary: Aside from Networtk Magic: periodic data collection , in some instances possibly including internet history, being sent to Cisco or their partners, possibility of forced upgrades, more ...

I decided to remove what I had typed in my previous post because it was too long ... it was not always clear what was 'allowed' according to the agreement and what the abilities of Cisco and their 'associates' were. If I were to equate 'allow' with 'being able to' perhaps even (near) unlimited access to the router by Cisco (although not phrased as such), their associates, distribution of data allowed world-wide, full access in the name of laws/rules, checks of both the router and the software by Cisco and their 'associates' (to check whether it is being used according to the agreement), a reporting function of which I wouldn't know if it could be disabled permanently etc ... A long list, worse.

If you equate 'allowed' with 'being able to' it's really bad.

I 've never seen a EULA with a router before, I first noticed it when I opened the box ! The instructions are to run the CD first, next thing you see that EULA/license agreement.

Hardware vs. software backdoors ... I don't know. Could open source overwrite EVERYTHING ? Nothing hard coded ? No special chips or whatever that could be used in a way I wouldn't like ? A single chip can be very cheap.

Would new open source firmware really stand up to that ? :blink:

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  4. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

To my knowledge, firmware images overwrite everything. An example is here, they include every function that runs the router, including the posibility of replacing the operating system. I just think of it as an image, like imaging your PC. In which case, no backdoor should remain afterwards.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.