Router?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by rocky6, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

He did tho state he has a standard router, Just mainly looking for a upgrade from that. Unfortunately Linksys routers are pretty baseline when it comes to options Unless you flash it. Only reason I disagreed with you. :D

2. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    And even then they're still pretty baseline.
    Depending on the model you're flashing...you can get a little more performance..not much, you can get a few more QoS features, you may get some added VPN features (depending on which you're flashing with), you may get the ability to overclock and boost wireless output power, sometimes you can get a few more wireless features. And generally better stability. I'm talking about the popular DD-WRT here, as well as Tomato (which is my preference), and Hyper-WRT.

I've only seen one 3rd party firmware that actually introduces UTM features...called "packetprotector"..only works on a few specific models.
    http://www.packetprotector.org/

3. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I mainly use DD-WRT for WDS and for Client mode (Turn the router into a wireless client)

4. YeOldeStonecat

YeOldeStonecat Registered Member

Along the Shorelines somewhere in New England
    Same here at home and at a few clients....reconfig the router as a pure AP, even turning the WAN port into a 5th LAN port. Most aren't powerful enough for my or clients needs when running as a primary router. But they're quite solid as just an AP. Currently I have a wrt150n flashed with DD running as an AP, hanging off of my PFSense router.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.