Router safe enough?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by cfp999, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cfp999

cfp999 Registered Member

I have been using a small router to share my internet connection for a couple of weeks now. The router (SMC7004ABR) has NAT-based firewall capabilities, and also features hacker attack logging. The documentation on this is almost absent. Do I need a (software) firewall or is the NAT built into the router in your opinion enough to protect against intrusion? Maybe some sort of application monitoring is enough? As far as I can tell, NAT does not provide any protection against outbound connections. Suggestions are welcome.

2. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi,

Yes, you're right: you need a software firewall for controling outbound connections.

3. cfp999

cfp999 Registered Member

Okay, I was thinking about Jammer, but it's a little hard to figure out how it compares to other products.

4. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Agnitum never pretended Jammer being a firewall - and it isn't. Better pick a real (preferably rule based) firewall. LooknStop would be my first choice personally - although opinions differ ;).

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.