Router Reliability

Discussion in 'hardware' started by TheKid7, Sep 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

Someone's ISP recently said that the frequency of Cable/DSL Router failures has dramatically increased recently.

What has been your experience with Cable/DSL Router reliability?

I have had one Cable/DSL Router go out in the past year and the first replacement was bad.

Thank in Advance.

2. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Rarely had problems. Can you provide the source?

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

My guess it the ISP is trying to blame the router for their problems. ISPs are notorious for pointing fingers in every direction - but inward.

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

personally they are junk. i always either use my own or add my own and simply use theirs just if i have to along with mine

5. Bill_Bright

:rolleyes: That's a blanket statement and like most blanket statements, it is simply invalid. If there was mention of a specific model number, or even a brand, then there might be some validity to it. "ALL" cable/DSL routers are NOT junk. The vast majority (with very few exceptions) work just fine and provide years of reliable service. Cable/DSL routers are not high-tech devices. Even generic routers provided by some ISPs (though most use name-brands) are reliable network appliances - or else their unhappy customers would revolt.

ISPs cannot afford to provide lousy equipment - not in terms of costs, and not in terms of customer satisfaction, and not in terms of their reputation.

6. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

okay let me rephrase myself... for wireless imo they suck. i actually do installs for both verizon and comcast in my area when they have overflow and the actiontech verizon uses is fine for wired ethernet but its wireless just plain sucks and in our area this is the ONLY model verizon offers. comcast has 2 models they use here and one is not to bad while not great but the other is horrible.

for the average user they may not notice much except the wireless signal usually doesnt reach much past a couple rooms if that. and we are always instructed to install the router as close inside the house to the ont as possible which for a lot of people places it on the furthest wall inside the home so on the other side the have basically no wireless at all or maybe one bar.

while the actiontech seems reliable it is best suited for those who dont need its wireless service. MANY people call us and tell us this and we end up adding a router to the action tech for the wireless in some cases we replace them. problem is verizon will not allow a cat 5 from the ont anymore we MUST use moca cable so it leaves the customer with almost no options except to use both the actiontech and another router for wireless (there are a few models out there with the moca connection for cable coming in but then they also will loose the guides and on demand service UNLESS they get a nim which are near impossible to get your hands on anymore i know we can not get them from verizon anymore and trust me we have tried i loath the day mine dies since i refuse to use the actiontech some times a nim can be found on ebay but they are sparse)

hope maybe that clarifies my stand on the oem issued routers...

7. Bill_Bright

Thanks for clarifying and I have seen what you have experienced and it is why I tell my clients to NOT get wireless from their ISP, and stick with Ethernet. Then buy their own WAP or wireless router to add wireless access.

8. cozumel

cozumel Registered Member

It all depends whether an ISP router fits the requirement of the customer. If it does, then they should go with the supplied ISP router imo. ISP routers, after all, are often rebranded (or at least manufactured by) reputable router manufacturers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.