Router Questions

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by FrozeNn, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Guest

Hello Wilders,

I will be buying a router pretty soon and Im planning on not using Wireless. I have some little questions about using the router and hope you guys can help me out abit :D .

1. If one of my computers gets infected, will the other one gets affected too? If so, how do I stop that?

2. Issit kinda of like PLUG n PLAY for me since I am not using a G-Card . (im planning to connect the router to the 2 pcs that ive got thru ethernet cables.)
    Do I needa install stuffs etc.

Thank you for reading out my post :D Hope that solutions can be found :)

Thanks in advance.

2. trickyricky

trickyricky Registered Member

Neither PC should get infected if you have adequate security in place (Windows up-to-date, antivirus, firewall, etc) and if one gets infected, the other shouldn't unless it's by a new trojan which traverses network links and which gets through firewalls and so on. In other words, it's possible but unlikely. Add an antitrojan such as BOClean or Ewido and even that possibility is minimised.

If you're using XP, it ought to be almost transparently plug'n'play if you're using ethernet with cables, much more so than with wireless. You'll need to configure the router of course, but how easy or difficult that is depends on which router you get.

Of course if you should get stuck, you can always get back here and beg for assistance... ;)

3. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

If you purchase a Netgear Router, setup is as simple as typing 192.168.0.1 a popup window appears, you then type in admin and password and follow the setup wizard. Or you can place your UN and PW directly into "Basic Settings", and there you have it, Router setup :D

After your ISP settings are placed into the router every machine plugged in is connected to the internet.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

4. FrozeNn

FrozeNn Registered Member

definitely :DD cleared much of my doubts.

will hit back once i get my router :DD

thanks agaiN!

5. FrozeNn

Hi, Im back. Just purchased a D-Link DI-604 WIRED Router and the setting up is rather easy. But im not sure whether the NAT is enabled/working now. How do i check whether its working ?

Also, Ive heard about port forwarding and im not really sure abt what it is. Do i needa to do port forwarding? (my router is working fine now. both PCs can connect 2 the internet.)

Many thanks once more.

6. trickyricky

If both of your PCs are able to access the internet then NAT is working. To see what addresses you have, go to the router's web administration panel and check on your external and internal IP addressing. The external (or WAN) address will be the one assigned by your ISP and the internal (LAN) one will be the same as the Gateway address set on your PCs - and the two addresses will be quite different. Common internal addresses are 192.168.n.n and 10.0.0.n, but there are others used as well.

Port forwarding isn't usually needed unless one or both PCs are running some server-type application which needs it. Some remote control software needs it to work, for example, but if everything appears to be working then you most likely don't need to set any up.

7. FrozeNn

ohh :) now i see.

but there's a issue. :( my downloading speed seems to have decreased a lot. ( only one Pc is in use.)

8. trickyricky

Downloading of what, using what? I can't see how a router can reduce the speed of your downloading, so it could be a coincidental slowdown caused by something else, unrelated to your setup. See if it's just as slow tomorrow...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.