Router Question

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kas, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kas

Kas Registered Member

I have a FIXED IP, but my dhcp keeps asking for an IP and causes my Comodo Firewall to log these events every few seconds.
    Thus in a session, several hundred events are logged.

This has no effect on my system, but seems unnecessary work for the Firewall.
    How do I disable the dhcp in my Windows XP to stop these requests and how do I enable this feature later if needed ?

2. doktornotor

doktornotor Registered Member

Post a screenshot of your network settings, doesn't exactly look like you've got a "fixed IP".

3. Sully

Sully Registered Member

Fixed IP, meaning static ip, for your wan? You can have the following

Router IP > internal to router, normally 192.168.x.1

Wan IP > external to the web, ie. 216.211.120.131

Lan IP > per machine, so it might be 192.168.x.2

Dhcp on most routers is set to start at 100, so in this case your Lan IP might be 192.168.x.100

Dhcp is an option in routers, that can be turned off if you use static ip's in your local network.

Dhcp is an option for your NIC, and you don't really turn it off when you set a static IP. You turn it off by shutting the service down to disabled instead of manual or automatic.

If you use static Ip in your house, turn Dhcp service off, set your Ip on your nic, and possibly stop the router from serving dhcp. This should have no bearing on whether or not your Wan IP is static or assigned, as this is all internal stuff to your Lan.

Sul.

4. vijayind

vijayind Registered Member

If you want to prevent frequent DHCP renew/rebind, you can do one of the following:
    1) Login to the router, for the LAN interface add static IP for your PC mac. Then in windows, add the static IP.
    2) Login to the router , for the LAN interface increase the lease time to a very high value or infinity. Windows will still use DHCP but now less frequently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.