Router problems, help requested

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Fly, Aug 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Then did you install the router with the CD software that comes it? If not try that. Other than that, manual settings in the router might work or not. Just might have a bad router if you have tried everything else.

2. HKEY1952

HKEY1952 Registered Member

I believe that the router and modem are setup correctly and there are no problems.
    There is only innocent confusion on your part about the echo information displayed for IPCONFIG /ALL.

IPCONFIG /ALL will echo 192.xxx.xxx.xxx when the topology is:
    Direct wired or wireless connection from the computer to the router.
    The router is the DHCP Server, and will assign the computer an 192.xxx.xxx.xxx IP Address that is in turn echoed by IPCONFIG /ALL or,
    The computer is assigned an static IP Address outside the DHCP range of the router that is in turn echoed by IPCONFIG /ALL.
    The router is acting as the Edge Gateway between the computer and the Internet. The router will communicate with the computer using 192.xxx.xxx.xxx addresses, these addresses are not
    routable on the Internet. The router will communicate with the Internet using the Internet Service Providers client IP Address 82.xxx.xxx.xxx that is routable on the Internet.
    The router retains the Internet Service Providers client IP Address from the modem and is not echoed in IPCONFIG /ALL because the router shields the computer from the Internet, meaning,
    the outside world beyond the router only sees 82.xxx.xxx.xxx and not 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and the inside world, the routers network, only sees 192.xxx.xxx.xxx, and is echoed by IPCONFIG /ALL.

IPCONFIG /ALL will echo 82.xxx.xxx.xxx when the topology is:
    Direct wired connection from the computer to the modem.
    The Internet Service Provider is the DHCP Server, in turn assigning one modem the Internet Service Providers assigned client IP Address, 82.xxx.xxx.xxx, the modem retains this information and
    is echoed by IPCONFIG /ALL. The assigned client IP Address and the Internet Service Providers Default Gateway and DNS Servers will not be the same.
    The modem is the Edge Device and the assigned client IP Address 82.xxx.xxx.xxx is routable and visible on the Internet, and is echoed by IPCONFIG /ALL.

As for the WINS entry reappearing, I can only think of one way this might happen, the routers DHCP Server configuration exists an WINS entry.....if so, remove it.....if it is there by default,
    you will have to remove it every time you reset the router.

WINS01.JPG IPCONFIGALL01.JPG

To configure TCP/IP to use WINS:
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/...-us/sag_tcpip_pro_usewinsconfig.mspx?mfr=true

Also, let us check the LMHOSTS file, type: nbtstat -c at the Command Prompt and Post an Screen Shot
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314108

As for the hardwired connection from the computer to the router not working, other than an bad port on the router or an bad ethernet cable, I gave you the reason and solution in previous Posts.

HKEY1952

3. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I remember seeing the 82.X IP in IPCONFIG /ALL in the past, when I was using a router. ??

The nbtstat -c gives some information, but it's not in English. IP address of node (?) : [192.168.0.100] Scope ID : []
    No names in cache (something like that). That's all.
    I can't change the WINS to a '0' number, the software won't accept it.
    It seems I can't change the WINS in the router.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  4. tipstir

WINS doesn't need to be enabled here. Router should automatically detect the ISP DNS and connect network nodes (devices by DHCP) to the internet. To much time is spent on this router it's not working correctly. The only options are to re-flash the firmware with a newer one or return it back to where you got it from.

5. HKEY1952

I agree with Tipstir.....
    Before you can re-flash the firmware in the router, first an reliable hardwired connection from the computer to the router must be established.
    Re-flashing the firmware of the router through an wireless connection may not work and is not reliable because when the router reboots the connection
    must be there or the procedure may have adverse affects.

It is good that nbtstat -c echoed "No names in cache" that is what I was looking for.....the LMHOSTS is clean.

Now you know the source of the problem.....corrupted firmware.....or defective router.....
    This would also explain why an hardwired connection from the computer to the router can not be established.....the routers firmware does not see the connection, or,
    one or more Ports in the router are defective.

HKEY1952

6. Fly

Fly Registered Member

For clarity: there is no security problem, it's just a matter of an incorrect technical setup ?

7. HKEY1952

There most certainly is an security breach.....the networks edge exists an faulty router.....
    You now know the problem/s and you now have the solution/s Fly.....the rest is up to you Sir.....Good Luck.

HKEY1952

8. tipstir

Well common sense would tell anyone to connect using a wired connection. Though I see you like to use those other commands like nbstat an etc.. But The router needs to be functional. To bad the OP won't tell us which model of router it is? If ports are bad they're DUFF is the term.

I've posted this on DSL Reports about flushing out the NVRAM in the Router.
    http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22...he-NVRAM-Before-you-ReFlash-Your-Router-Updat

9. wat0114

wat0114 Guest

This is certainly a router problem and not an isp problem. If the latter were the case, you would have network issues even when connected directly to the modem. Don't lose sight of the fact, as you mentioned in post #1, there were no problems for several weeks. Routers do fail; my D-Link DIR655 failed after < 1 year. Good thing it was still under warranty :)

10. HKEY1952

An tip for tipstir:

nbstat is not an valid, recognized internal or external command.....however.....
    nbtstat, the command-line tool, has nothing to do with the router.....directly.....

nbtstat is an command-line tool used for displaying NetBIOS over TCP/IP (NetBT) protocol statistics.....
    nbtstat allows an refresh of the NetBIOS name cache and the names registered with Windows Internet Name Service (WINS).....

At the Command Prompt type: nbtstat -then press Enter for an list of Command Line Switches.

HKEY1952

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  11. Fly

Fly Registered Member

Thanks all. I'll have to make up my mind.

I'm not sure, but it could be that the issues as mentioned in this thread started when I plugged the cable of my modem in the LAN port of my router. Perhaps, but I do not remember, the problem was caused by connecting the LAN port of my router to my internal ethernet card which uses NVIDIA software.

It was a 'cheap' router, 50 or 60 euros including the USB adapter ! And the router looks cheap and ugly on the outside (mostly cheap white plastic, made in China). I paid a lot more for my previous router.

'There most certainly is an security breach.....the networks edge exists an faulty router.....'

Maybe. But the wireless traffic is WPA-PSK encrypted, non-default password, and when I deactivate my software firewall the router's firewall seems to work well. ?

12. tipstir

typo on my part don't make a big deal out it.. I have more fixes for network settings on my blog just google tipstir.

13. tipstir

Get the Euro version of Belkin N+ the USA version is very good I use that along with Buffalo brands are also good. DLINK DIR-655 is buggy I have that also along with Trendnet and Netgear both buggy.

14. HKEY1952

The typographical error is not the issue.

The issue is, you stampeded into this Thread and started Posting what exists as legendary advice, in your mind only of course, without first knowing the facts.
    Your advice to me was that the command nbtstat will not work until the router is working first, and you are completely wrong.
    The command nbtstat has nothing to do with the router directly. I believe you only made that statement because you assumed that we were trying
    to enable WINS, where as in reality, you know, outside of your mind, we were in fact trying to disable WINS, and trying to find the source that was
    automatically enabling WINS.....and we did find the source, the routers DHCP Server WINS entry. The router is faulty because the WINS entry in the router
    can not be removed. The only sound advice that you did give was to try re-flashing the routers firmware or return the router.....of which I agreed, and agree.
    It helps to read the entire Thread first before Posting erratically.

Troubleshooting takes time, especially when conducted over the Telephone or Internet, the client must be your eyes and source of information.
    There is no such thing as spending too much time troubleshooting when trying to salvage something that is really wanted or when limited funds exist for the client.
    Without basic training and educational studies, the average person does not have the know how to troubleshoot and perform computer repairs or upgrade electronics and
    should not be degraded as not having common sense. The Original Poster did in fact send me an Personal Message containing the Router Model Number and other pertinent information.
    The router is an Sitecom Router.....if you read the Thread.....

Respectfully.....I have no interest in Google searching for your Blog if you do not have the couth to provide an link.

@Fly, Good Luck Fly on your search for an new router should that be your avenue.

HKEY1952

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  15. tipstir

This is open forum remember. I have experience with this stuff. I don't post links to my blog as I believe here it's not allowed. I can point you sites I deem helpful. Repeating the same info over and over again can be made easy if you post what you know to one page and direct the user to that site. Thus that's what I do.

Don't get so worked up into this debate you have your no it all and I have mine. You share and I share info. That's how the internet is. Not a place to not share the knowledge.

That's all I have to say on this subject.. OP good luck...

16. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

You are able to surf with your connection to the modem, and then add in the router and get no access or very limited access.
    This means devices are not configured properly or a problem with the router.

Just like you access your router you can access your modem.
    With the computer connected directly to the modem can you get the modem access page?
    192.168.1.1 or similar.
    Locate your setup and/or connection page. Should be something called "PPPoe" for DSL.
    It is the PPPoe you are going to change to bridge mode.
    After applying changes you will lose internet connection.
    Connect the router, access the setup page and set to accept PPPoe and add your username and password for the main ISP account. You will also need your ISP's DNS servers.

If the modem is supplied by the ISP, then give their tech support a call, telling them you want to add a router to the modem. Let them walk you through the process, take notes.

You must rule out user configuration error before you say the router is bad.

17. Fly

Fly Registered Member

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to say.

I can get a direct wired and working connection between my computer and modem. No problem, for as far as I can tell.

I can't get access to the 'modem page'. Well, MAYBE I could if I were to disconnect my modem from the internet. Otherwise, it doesn't work for sure.
    But I don't like to fiddle/mess with those cables/wires, I truly know the meaning of 'if it ain't broken, don't fix it'. (I can't just unplug that cable/wire)Anyway, even if I could it almost certainly wouldn't help.

Broadband connection: cable, not DSL.

I actually can access the internet through this router. But the topology seems to be wrong. (see WINS server) Btw, under IPCONFIG /ALL I get a 10 year lease ! The router's firewall seems to work. I'm not sure to what extent that WINS issue matters.

Well, don't tell me that my ISP isn't the source of the problem.
    Years ago I didn't use a router. Then, my ISP changed the modem and my wired connection no longer worked ! (Something about the distance between socket and modem or computer, I don't recall) The cable connecting my computer to my modem was nicely hidden. I wasn't very knowledgable at the time and went for the quick fix, installing a router. The holes in the walls etc. have been filled since, and I don't like to have a long cable, out in the open, through several rooms, even aside from the fact that a router provides additional protection.

My original ISP has merged with others. They sell Sitecom routers to their customers, but with their own software preinstalled. I don't trust them with that. They even manage to put a Flash cookie on my computer when I access their website, while the Flash player has been configured to block Flash cookies, settings as tight as possible. I call that hacking. It's a debt ridden company, bad service, I'm not the only customer who has (router) issues with them.

As I'm writing this I'm experiencing connection problems (frequent loss of connection, started today or yesterday) which I also had with my previous router. Same type of problem, according to the eventvwr.

I'm considering a change of ISP, especially if I can get a router or wireless modem for free.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.