Router/Modem Setup

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by woolshed96, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woolshed96

woolshed96 Registered Member

Hi
    I hope someone can help please. I have just installed a Router/Modem on my System, two computers not networked, using the Router to access the Internet etc. I am running XP Pro/SP2 on both machines. My question is: can I set one connection, not to open automatically when I start up. I would prefer to be able to open this connection maually, maybe with a desktop icon.
    Thanks
    Woolshed :doubt:

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I am running a Linksys wireless router BEFW11S4 and the actual control over the wireless is either on or off. I have not found any settings to limit the individual connections. They are all on or all off. I can configure my antivirus to block one of the connections but not in a way that could be useful though. you can control each computers connections in each computer but I don't think you can do it from a central location, at least not with the router that I have.

3. woolshed96

Thanks
    I really just want to stop one computer from connecting automatically, if I can do this on the machine, that will be fine.
    Cheers
    Wooshed :doubt:

4. bigc73542

If you are useing cable internet there is no connecting, you are connected at all times. As soon as you turn your comp on it is already connected. If you are useing DSL you can probably set a computer not to connect automatically.

5. Tom772

Tom772 Guest

Sorry to ask another question in this thread, but should DHCP be enabled on a NAT router? once again sorry,

Thanxs Tom

6. akshay_k72

akshay_k72 Registered Member

You cannot have different settings for two different PCs. The connection will be either automatic or manual for both the PCs. These auto/manual configurations are done in the router (through the interface in the PC) and not in the PC.

BTW woolshed96, which router are you using?

Cheers

Akshay.

7. bigc73542

If you are useing wireless you can make different settings in the wireless card in each Pc. there are some settings that have to be the same of course but there are quite a few options. At least in the linksys router.

8. akshay_k72

Yes you can. But I have disabled it coz I sometimes used to get IP address conflict message in the system tray when more than one PC was connected in the network.

Cheers

Akshay.

9. tom772

tom772 Guest

So if i disable DCHP and have just DNS running theres no secuirty issues?, and there is just the one IP for the connect computers through the router still as im not sure?

cheers Akshay_K72

10. woolshed96

Hi
    I am using a "Billion Bipac 5102" on ADSL (DSL via a phone Line).Std not wireless.

Thanks

11. akshay_k72

Hi tom772,

If you disable DHCP then you have to manually asign the IP address to each PC connected on the network. And the address of DNS server and the default gateway on your PC will be the router's IP address. Regarding security issues, well I have not faced any problems so far.

Cheers

Akshay.

12. jcc1234

jcc1234 Guest

Hi Woolshed, it depends on what you meant by open. If what you want to achieve is to be able to connect to the net 1 PC at a time manually, some PC firewall have a feature in the startup tray to "block All connection" for the PC involved.

13. woolshed96

Thanks jcc.
    I would be happy for niether computers to connect to the net automatically,,,,,,,and then connect when I desire. What I have done is to create a Shortcut to the LAN, which I can connect or disable through, which works fine, but I have to remember to turn it off on the computer I do not want connected all the time. I have had a look in the router but cannot see any "auto" settings.

Cheers
    Woolshed
    :doubt:

14. tom772

tom772 Guest

hi all, i have noticed that my computer has a DHCP services running, as well as the routers DHCP setting. My question is should they both be running as i only have two computers connected to the net?

thank again,

T

15. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

The DHCP service on your PC is a client service and if you obtain your IP automatically from the router it will need to be enabled. The DHCP service on the router will be client and server, with the server providing IP's to the LAN and the client obtaining you public IP from you ISP's DHCP server.

Regards,

CrazyM

16. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

If both PC's are connected to the same router they will be networked.

What are you trying to accomplish security wise here?

Remember the network connection will impact LAN connections (file/printer sharing) as well as those to outside networks - Inernet.

If it is controlling outbound connections to the Internet by applications, then there are software firewalls which could be configured to deal with this and still allow for LAN functionality.

Inbound protection will be provided by the router, no need to disable you network connection for this.

Regards,

CrazyM

17. tom772

tom772 Guest

CrazyM thank for your info and advice:) T

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.