Router DNS/DHCP Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rainwalker, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Completely safe, I know of hundreds of people that used this to obtain a static ip address for p2p including me for over a year and it's only telling you how to use the info on your computer.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2007
  2. mistycat

Thinking on this if you do use this to set a static ip address, pay attention to what is said regarding the Default Gateway (usually your router address) and DNS server (s) being the same. If they are, you will have to get your DNS server (s) from within your router or your ISP; I also have never heard a bad word about Open DNS, even used it myself: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=150520

3. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

My problem is my IP address has been the same for about a week now. I am on a stand alone box and have tried disconnecting both router and modem for up to 8 hours, yet when i replug and go online i still have the same ip address......this bothers me.

4. mistycat

Actually, for p2p, that's good, you don't want your router selecting a new ip address each time you restart if you have forwarded a port. I see no reason why you couldn't set a static ip address and change it whenever you wish.

5. mistycat

Reading from the beginning, a router won't set your ip address static, your ISP has given you that ip address and it won't change until the lease expires, could be months. That said, some routers but not all can select a new ip address each time you restart. And no site shows my correct ip address, shield's up, port forward, etc,. Only Command Prompt shows it correctly and is the only one that should be used.

6. Rainwalker

Command Prompt showes only my router. I called my provider. They had me unplug the router so they could reset my address. It worked until i plugged the router back in....this resulted in me seeing the same address i have looking at for over 10 days.....why o_O

7. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

Hi, what exactly in command prompt are you referring to, ie what command are you using?

8. tradetime

This is not internet address, this is your local network address. If your internet provider does not issue you with a static IP and many don't, then you will have to request one, many charge for the priivilage

9. Rainwalker

I do not want static.......it is what i seem to have.......in command prompt i use either ipconfig or ipconfig /all

10. tradetime

Neither of those should tell what IP address you show to the world, they will only give you your local LAN IP address given by the router clue is they will always be in the range 192.168.0.2 -- 192.168.0.254

11. Rainwalker

Yes...i am aware of this.......my ip address that the world sees is the one i am writing about..............so why( my above postings) o_O o_O o_O

12. tradetime

Well it may be that in your part of the world your ISP assigns a static or very long lease IP as standard. Many people pay for this feature, though that doesn't help you if you don't like this. Sadly if your IP provider cannot solve this for you then I doubt anyone here can, since they have the advantage of knowing how your IP address is assigned.

13. tradetime

14. Rainwalker

Here is some more info....The Ip address that will not go away is 72.187.187.167 ...After searching I found this. http://www.gwy.org/pca.html
    I have not intentionally set up port forwarding. In fact, I have it blocked it. I am wondering if someone got into my machine e.g. PC Anywhere. I am using Norton Internet Security. There is some kind of program with the Norton product named Security Inspector. When I do a scan with it there are sometimes changes made to my ip address, as this security app sees a unprotected issue. There is nothing in the Norton logs that is helpful. Anyone ??
    Again..if i unplug the router then 72.187.187.167 goes away and the address becomes dynamic.....

Last edited: Oct 19, 2007
  15. Rainwalker

16. Rainwalker

Would somebody please let me know..

17. tradetime

If by working, you mean does it do anything when you click it, then yes, it takes you to a secure page where it invites you to pay for the product or submit "certificate registration" information. I did not go further obviously as I do not want it. There is a 14 day demo, but not until you have committed credt card info.

18. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

OpenDNS blocked me, so perhaps someone without it give it a try. I couldn't get past "more info" before being stopped....

19. Rainwalker

Ok thanks all.......i wonder way Open DNS blocked the site...........funny, it's working fine for me now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.