Router as firewall..Advice please!

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Don Pelotas, Sep 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. charincol

charincol Guest

You could always build a box with ~200Mhz, 16-64Mg Ram, 2 NIC's, various other older components and use a switch/hub and install something free like Coyote Linux (www.coyotelinux.com) or Smoothwall - another small free Linux OS (www.smoothwall.org) on it. They both use ipchains SPI, can be used as a router, use a web interface, and both provide an equal if not better hardware firewall than Linksys, Dlink, Netgear ,etc. I currently use Coyote (have only got Smoothwall up and running to see what it's like) and I absolutely love it. It is easier to set up and configure than any (hardware)firewall/router I've played with and there are numerous add-on packages that allow things such as a transparent proxy, ftp, Dynamic DNS, traffic monitor, etc. My favorite option on it is its QoS. I can have P2P on full up/down on my 1500/1000 DSL and make or receive calls on my VOIP service, and browse with low latency, and it all works smoothly. QoS is an add'l puchase plug-in for Smoothwall. I have heard of IT Admins using it for their gateway for hundreds of users so it's quite robust.

It's free and really not that difficult if you have the necessary hardware already and switch, and you might learn something by building it. In no way am I endorsing linux or think it's the greatest (it's seeing it's own share of vulnerabilities the more it's used and it's still not beginner friendly), it's just that building my Coyote box was one my more fun computer projects that worked really well.

My box uses an AMD 350 running at 300 with passive cooling, 64 megs of ram which is overkill, 10 Mb NIC for internet, 100 Mb NIC for lan, and run it from a 16 MB compact flash HD. It was designed to run from floppy but Coyote forum contributors have created a way that it can run from a HD. A compact flash HD just makes it more reliable and cuts power consumption so it can have long uptimes. It only uses a disk to boot initially and then runs from a RAM drive. It is connected to my Actiontec from Qwest (which incidentally runs from a poorly written embedded linux) running in transparent bridge mode and so my Coyote box gets the WAN IP. All my internal machines have a soft firewall for app control and I feel pretty secure when I do a fresh OS install and haven't installed a firewall on it yet, or uninstalled one to test another without disconnecting the internet.

If you do consider this option, don't use anything under 200Mhz and use at least 32 megs of RAM despite what the min reqs say. Anything less could deteriorate it's performance. Also, don't be alarmed because the project has been stopped by the original developer recently. He still has it available for download on his site and forum members are continuing its development under a new name which will make it better because it is open source.

I apologize in advance for this post being a little long. I just want Don to be informed of another great option.

2. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    :D

Yah you're right, it's I think one of the best router. ;)

3. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Don

If you aren't using wireless you can stop reading, but if you are you might want to rethink not using a software firewall on the pc. In a wireless setup the router if a good one, will indeed protect you from inbound from the internet. But unless you are 100% sure, that no one can indadvertently connect to your wireless network you still need the software filewall. Someone connects an infected computer to your network for even a brief period, and they are between your computer and router, in which case the router does nothing to protect you. For this you need a software firewall on the pc.

Look at all the major corporations that still get hit. The have the exterior of the network protected to the hilt, but some connects an infected laptop and it's all over.

Pete

4. Cadoul

Cadoul Registered Member

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Thank you to everyone who participated in this thread! :)

I have more or less decided to buy a ZyXel from the prestige series, it seems to be a good choice, both in terms of price and security and it also already has support for the much higher speeds being offered in the not too distant future, although i'm pretty happy with my 4mb connection. :)

6. Kryspy

Kryspy Registered Member

How complete is this protection set up?

Antivirus: nod32
    Firewall: none
    Router: Linksys WRT54G with WPA2 encryption
    Additional: Process Guard

Thanks,

Kryspy

7. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Very good choise. Personally I've a ZyXEL Prestige 623, with a 8 port switch behind it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.